i also wanted to try the google analytics plugin, but skipped this as i read your answer.
Also i tried to insert the google code by hand - but no success..
would be great if anyone can help.
What i did until now:
1. created a google analytics account for my site.
There the DokuWiki is under pagename.com/wiki/doku.php
2. as that didn´t work ("Please provide the URL of the site you would like to track" - says its invalid
i tried pagename.com/wiki - and that was fine with google
3. i inserted the Legacy Tracking Code
_uacct = ".....";
into the main.php of monobook - just before the </head>
4. After uploading the modified main.php - pushing check status in google analytics still didn´t work.
- so i looked into the edot section of my website profile.
As i understood the conversion goal could be the problem - so i created one with /wiki/doku.php as goal url.
5. still didn´t work
i tried for several hours now - but i got no conclusion...
would be great if anyone could help
i use dokuwiki-2007-06-26b with monobook (Monobook for Dokuwiki - October 3, 2007).