Forum: Offtopic Forum Help RSS
FORUM USAGE TIP : Unread Messages List
Culling the List of Unread Messages for Other Languages
g1smd #1
Member since Jan 2009 · 133 posts · Location: UK
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: FORUM USAGE TIP : Unread Messages List
If, like me, you're a regular user of the "Unread Messages" link (at http://forum.dokuwiki.org/ at top right, just below the "Logged in as...'' message), you'll see that the list contains messages in all languages, and it is therefore difficult to pull out the messages that are written in just the language that you can read.

A quick solution to this, is to visit each of the forums that you are NOT interested in reading, and click on the "mark all threads as read" link (located top right, just above the list of messages for that forum). This will clear only the messages listed in that forum, from the global list of unread messages.

Now you can revisit the "Unread Messages" list, and you will see unread messages listed only for the forums that you are interested in reading. For me it often halves the size of the list.

It would be nice if that list could be configured to include/exclude your forum choices. Perhaps a feature request for the future?
ach (Administrator) #2
Member since May 2006 · 1334 posts · Location: London, UK
Group memberships: Administrators, Members, Super Mods, Wiki Managers
Or you can simply go each sub-forum just once in your life-time, go to the bottom and click on "More Options". Then choose "Ignore this forum" and never be bothered again. ;-)
g1smd #3
Member since Jan 2009 · 133 posts · Location: UK
Group memberships: Members
Cool. I didn't spot that option. I was looking for something to 'ignore by language' in the main settings/preferences.

A link to 'ignore this forum', actually located inside that forum, was far too obvious really.   :)
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20120620-dev, © 2003-2011 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2014-04-19, 06:24:56 (UTC +02:00)