Forum: Community User Introductions RSS
Hello from an Infrastructure Engineer's point of view
AaronAnderson #1
Member since Nov 2011 · 14 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Hello from an Infrastructure Engineer's point of view
Hello everyone.

I recently joined a typical company that hasn't ever liked to document anything. The company isn't typical, but that's just a human trait.... not wanting to do the extra work. :)

Also like many other places.... a previous employee was a microsoft sharepoint lover and spent a ton of time making what is now a useless and slow portal that no-one wants to maintain or replace.

Enter DokuWiki.

I built a quick LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) server and started dumping our knowledge into the wiki. It has been rewarding for me in many ways to build a beautiful documentation/process system. We use a lot of code and scripts so the syntax highlighter plugins have been VERY helpful. The lightweight version control is also helpful. I've gotten the system configured with LDAP authentication to active directory and everything is rockin.

So I have all of these documents, some of which link to each other, broken up in the appropriate namespaces. We're very happy with that.

We want to build a good "start" page.

The search box is cool with the ajax style auto complete.... but we need something a little more. Maybe a way to display recently edited and added pages? Tag clouds? Right now I have a few different things going on.. tables, lists, etc. I want it all to fit on a 1920x1200 resolution screen.

Ideas to make the landing page beautiful, and useful?
Andreas (Moderator) #2
Member since Dec 2009 · 264 posts · Location: Karlsruhe, Germany
Group memberships: Global Moderators, Members, Super Mods
Quick ideas:

Inspiration:
  • You may use table heads to display important categories. Cf: http://readm3.org/. Example code:

^  [[:app:start|{{:app:logo.png?96}}]]  ^  [[:os:ubuntu:start|{{:os:ubuntu:logo.png?96}}]]  ^
^  [[:app:start|Applications]]          ^  [[:os:ubuntu:start|Ubuntu Linux]]                ^
I'm so electronic I shit bits
laurabat #3
Member since Feb 2012 · 2 posts
Group memberships: Members
In reply to post #1
Quote by AaronAnderson on 2012-01-23, 20:51:
Hello everyone.

I recently joined a typical company that hasn't ever liked to document anything. The company isn't typical, but that's just a human trait.... not wanting to do the extra work. :)

Also like many other places.... a previous employee was a microsoft sharepoint lover and spent a ton of time making what is now a useless and slow portal that no-one wants to maintain or replace.

Enter DokuWiki.

I built a quick LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) server and started dumping our knowledge into the wiki. It has been rewarding for me in many ways to build a beautiful documentation/process system. We use a lot of code and scripts so the syntax highlighter plugins have been VERY helpful. This is an excellent site I love  it! The lightweight version control is also helpful. I've gotten the system configured with LDAP authentication to active directory and everything is rockin.

So I have all of these documents, some of which link to each other, broken up in the appropriate namespaces. We're very happy with that.

We want to build a good "start" page.

The search box is cool with the ajax style auto complete.... but we need something a little more. Maybe a way to display recently edited and added pages? Tag clouds? Right now I have a few different things going on.. tables, lists, etc. I want it all to fit on a 1920x1200 resolution screen.

Ideas to make the landing page beautiful, and useful?

Hi,

It is a real pleasure to meet you. I am new here too. My name is Laura! :)
This post was edited on 2012-03-24, 04:47 by laurabat.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20120620-dev, © 2003-2011 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2014-04-16, 15:40:03 (UTC +02:00)