Forum: General Help and Support Features and Functionality RSS
Please provide the page move / rename functionality out of the box
Page:  previous  1  2  3  4  next 
borekb #31
Member since Jan 2010 · 35 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
In reply to post ID 22504
Any news on the page rename functionality? It is still not in the product so I guess it's not a priority but has anyone developed a working plugin yet?
SeaWolf #32
Member since Oct 2010 · 3 posts
I really wish this would become a priority. It's a really useful function, especially in a corporate environment. It's something that I would use an awful lot, as it is whenever I want to relocate a page it's a very clunky manual process.
andi (Administrator) #33
User title: splitbrain
Member since May 2006 · 3347 posts · Location: Berlin Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Quote by SeaWolf:
It's a really useful function, especially in a corporate environment.

Then why not hire someone to implement it?
Read this if you don't get any useful answers.
Lies dies wenn du keine hilfreichen Antworten bekommst.
borekb #34
Would anyone from the core team be willing to do this? They have probably the best understanding of what should be done and how much work it would be. Any rough estimate of the price?
HansBKK #35
Member since Nov 2011 · 104 posts · Location: Bangkok
In reply to post #31
I agree this "should" be there, but the only people who should feel indignant or entitled to anything are paying customers of the developers or possibly those who have been making otherwise significant contributions to the project.

Or you can find someone with the appropriate skills and give them incentives to create the plugin for you and submit it as your contribution to the project.

But in the meantime this would only be a major issue IMO if you care about (want to preserve) the revision history. DW pages are just text files in folders - wipe the metadata and just use a regex/grep search&replace to fix up your links and move them around however you like. DW will rebuild the indexing over time, and you will get fresh revision history from that point on.
borekb #36
Yep that is a quick "hack" described on the renaming page in the documentation, however, I would rather have a proper solution (not requiring filesystem access, tested for all edge cases, convenient UI etc.)

I think there are enough people who would be happy to pay some money for this functionality, we just need to find someone who would code it. Not sure if this is the best place to ask - is it?
HansBKK #37
Member since Nov 2011 · 104 posts · Location: Bangkok
http://www.dokuwiki.org/bounties
turnermm (Moderator) #38
Member since Oct 2009 · 4345 posts · Location: Canada
Group memberships: Global Moderators, Members, Super Mods
In reply to post #36
http://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:openas?&#pagemove
Myron Turner
github: https://github.com/turnermm
plugins, templates: http://www.mturner.org/devel
andi (Administrator) #39
User title: splitbrain
Member since May 2006 · 3347 posts · Location: Berlin Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
In reply to post #34
Quote by borekb:
Would anyone from the core team be willing to do this? They have probably the best understanding of what should be done and how much work it would be. Any rough estimate of the price?

You could hire me (at cosmocode) or anyone from here: http://www.wikimatrix.org/consultants/dokuwiki/

Effort (and price) depends on the feature set. Eg, should only single pages be moved or whole namespaces? Should links in other pages be adjusted? What about the page history? What about embedded images? This could be anything between 2 days and 2 weeks (translating roughly to a price between 1500 to 7500 EUR).
Read this if you don't get any useful answers.
Lies dies wenn du keine hilfreichen Antworten bekommst.
borekb #40
Thanks, I will go through the links and see what the options are.
borekb #41
In reply to post #38

This plugin looks promising, will have a closer look when time permits.
turnermm (Moderator) #42
Member since Oct 2009 · 4345 posts · Location: Canada
Group memberships: Global Moderators, Members, Super Mods
Keep in mind that this does only one page at a time.  It's not an "enterprise" solution.
Myron Turner
github: https://github.com/turnermm
plugins, templates: http://www.mturner.org/devel
SeaWolf #43
Member since Oct 2010 · 3 posts
In reply to post #33
Quote by andi:
Then why not hire someone to implement it?
I really wish I could, but we're a small government agency with not a great deal of money and I have to very careful with what I'm seen to be spending taxpayer dollars on. :(
martinus #44
Member since Jul 2012 · 12 posts · Location: France
In reply to post #39
Quote by andi on 2012-02-20, 14:43:
Quote by borekb:

You could hire me (at cosmocode) or anyone from here: http://www.wikimatrix.org/consultants/dokuwiki/

Effort (and price) depends on the feature set. Eg, should only single pages be moved or whole namespaces? Should links in other pages be adjusted? What about the page history? What about embedded images? This could be anything between 2 days and 2 weeks (translating roughly to a price between 1500 to 7500 EUR).

I'm not sure if it's appropriate but why not opening a http://www.kickstarter.com/ funding project ???
Michitux #45
Member since Apr 2008 · 377 posts · Location: Karlsruhe, Germany
Group memberships: Members, Wiki Managers
I think I've solved the main challenges some weeks/months ago and I'm figuring out the (hopefully) last missing details right now.

My code uses the full DokuWiki parser as chi has originally suggested but instead of using the instructions it stops one step earlier - in the handler. In the handler there are still the original syntax matches and thus it's easy to make sure that everything that's not a link isn't modified.

For the update of other pages I'm using the metadata index which has information about all links in DokuWiki but I'm not directly updating the affected pages. Instead I write a metadata entry with the information about the move the plugin is currently executing. Whenever the page is read this information is checked and the page is updated when necessary. This should make it possible to move pages that affect a large number of pages without too many problems. Moves of big namespace might still be a challenge but I think I could even delay the update of the moved pages (they need to be updated because relative links could have changed and the update is quite expensive as the parser is involved).

The delayed updates have also some other advantages, e.g. when the affected page is locked the update could be performed after the user has finished editing (this is something that I still need to implement).

The delayed updates create some challenges as when a page is moved more than once a part of the links still point to the old location but I have already solved the most obvious cases by storing a history of previous names in the metadata of the page and checking links for these old names, too (but only if the pages that contain the links haven't been updated since then). There is still a problem when the links themselves have been updated but not the index but I already know a solution for this problem - write the move information for all ids the page had since the id that was found in the index into the metadata of the affected page.

I'm also trying to improve the coding style and to restructure the plugin and provide a user interface that is more consistent with the rest of DokuWiki. I'm confident that I'll be able to publish an early test version of the page move plugin soon (could be anything between some days and a few weeks).

There is already a bounty with the offer of 250 EUR + AUD $100 for the implementation of a new page move plugin till December 2013. This is of course not a full payment, not even for the work for the pagemove plugin that I've done so far, but that's also not what I expect. However it's still - for me as a student who does some freelance work besides his studies - a nice motivation to finish the plugin rather sooner than later.

Instead of opening a kickstarter funding project I would thus rather ask for a few more weeks of patience and if there is anybody who wants to give money for this feature - feel free to join the bounty, once the project is finished and you're satisfied I'll of course send you an official invoice for the amount of money you've offered. Of course with (significant) additional money there could also be additional features, once the basic functionality works I could for example imagine an advanced admin interface for reorganizing a whole wiki. If you've something special in mind feel free to either add it to the bounties page or to contact me directly.

The integration in DokuWiki itself is something we should talk about when the plugin is finished but if I remember correctly we've already talked about making the plugin a bundled plugin once it has been rewritten when we proposed the project for Google Summer of Code 2011.

If you are interested in the current state of the code you can have a look at my fork of the pagemove plugin. The code should work but might still contain a lot of bugs so be careful. I'm also still planning larger changes for the user interface and the internal organization so expect that things that work now might be broken in the next version you try. Of course I'm not planning to remove features, everything that works now should also work in the final version.
Did you like my help or work for DokuWiki (plugins)? Consider giving something back.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Page:  previous  1  2  3  4  next 
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2018-10-19, 02:46:14 (UTC +02:00)