Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: General Help and Support Server Setup RSS
Dokuwiki on cheap Android box H96max
pop #1
Member since Nov 2016 · 43 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Dokuwiki on cheap Android box H96max
My son told me of a cheap Android box on which he had installed a small web server and which was impressively fast.

The box is a H96max (with 32GB of memory) and I bought it for not quite €60.
For the web server I use KSWEB, a Russian Android app which costs about €3.50. There are other servers available for free, but I trusted the advice of my son and just used the same one as he does.

The installation is straight forward (after a few trials, as I don't really know what I'm doing). I installed the Dokuwiki from scratch and moved the data directory of my largest project into the newly installed wiki. I then moved another directory holding many images into the box.

The data directory holds in all about 55k objects: 2700 text documents and some 1400 media files (4.3 GB). The directory with the additional (external) media holds another 4300 objects and occupies 7.5 GB.

I'm impressed.

That wiki runs noticeably faster on that cheap box than it does on the Synology NAS. Well, it's perhaps not that surprising. The whole wiki resides in the server's solid state memory while on the Synology it's on a spinning disk.

I also was impressed by how painlessly you can copy the wiki. All documents and links were, of course, perfectly copied and usable again. The ACLs simply work (but only after importing all the user accounts). Searching works straight away and is surprisingly fast. Nearly all plugins worked right away: csv, edittable, struct, include, poem, sqlite, wrap.

One plugin, externallink, produces error messages which can, however, easily be fixed. I rather think that the plugin did not work right away in the original installation, and that I merely forgot that I had had to fix it.

There are still some issues:

The server can not execute the chmod command. As all error messages were produced within the same php file, I simply removed those commands from the file. This is not an "elegant solution", but it seemed to work so far. I do not know if I removed important functions and I would appreciate any hints.

Using port 80 would be nice. The web server KSWEB appears to support some magic so that the port can be used under Android, However, the magic appears not to work every time. I can live with ports 8080 or 8000.

The KSWEB server is supposed to start whenever I start the box. This does not seem to be the case. It also crashed twice in two or three days.

DO NOT USE THE FARM PLUGIN in this setting. Trying to do so killed the wiki.

After several experiments, I ended up  using FTP and the ethernet connection for moving the bulk of the data from my main computer to the H96max. That's much faster und more convenient than using USB sticks or SDCARDs.

All in all, an impressive piece of hardware for about €60, and much fun.
pop #2
Subject: Addendum
Installing the plugins yields a nasty set of errors, mostly about functions the Android filesystem will not provide. However, the plugins seem to be installed and working correctly.
Michaelsy #3
Member since Jun 2015 · 539 posts · Location: Düsseldorf, Germany
Hi pop,

nice that you share your experience!

I would like to know which power consumption the device has at idle. (How much does it cost to run the device 24 hours x 365 days? With few DokuWiki page views per day.)

Thank you in advance
    - Michael Sy.
By Patreon.com a few eurons can be fed into the code phasers of
the DokuWiki engine. Besides, Andi's posts are worth reading.
pop #4
Hi Michael

I regret to say that I no longer use that device. The Apache/PHP stack I was using runs off the internal memory. Many file systems commands such as CHMOD and CHOWN do not work in that setting which makes using Dokuwiki unpleasant.

However, I now use a Banana Pi (somewhat similar to a Raspberry Pi 3) which runs without any problems whatsoever. Since this one comes with Debian, installing the AMP stack is no problem at all. My wiki with a few thousand pages and nearly as many images runs faster on the Banana Pi than it does on the Synology.

I will measure its power consumption. It comes with a 5V*2A power supply and the sheet says that a .7A supply should be sufficient for most purposes.
pop #5
Here are the power consumption data

The device is a Banana Pi
no Bluetooth
no display
no WIFI
Ethernet (100MB)
64GB Sandisk microSD
The power brick is rated at 5V, 2A and bears the Raspberry Pi logo.

I use SSH and VNC to control the device (not the VNC server that comes with the Debian linux supplied by the manufacturer, though). I use the MH powerstrip for all power measurements.

Idle (just running, not serving any pages) 1.39W
Busy (briefly every now and then, perhaps once a minute) and when serving pages, when uploading large pdf files of 20MB each: 1.74W
More busy (serving a page from a gallery or a struct query with scaled-down pictures) 2.05W..2.09W
I think I observed once (very briefly) a power consumption of 3W.

The power strip reports a power consumption of 0.011kWh for the last nine hours.

All measurements are on the primary side of the power brick. Therefore, they include all the power lost in the power brick.
This post was edited on 2018-09-25, 11:43 by pop.
Michaelsy #6
Member since Jun 2015 · 539 posts · Location: Düsseldorf, Germany
All measurements are on the primary side of the power brick. Therefore, they include all the power lost in the power brick.
Good!

Idle (just running, not serving any pages) 1.39W
The power strip reports a power consumption of 0.011kWh for the last nine hours.

Sounds very acceptable. You can hardly wish much better values.

So far as I can read it on the internet it seems to be the same or more or less better (depending of the power loss of the power brick) than the most economical Raspberry Pi with LAN (I assume that's the Raspberry Pi 1 B+).

(But the Internet does not always report the same consumption data and it is not always clear which mode of operation is meant.)

Thank you for your effort!
    - Michael Sy.
By Patreon.com a few eurons can be fed into the code phasers of
the DokuWiki engine. Besides, Andi's posts are worth reading.
This post was edited 4 times, last on 2018-10-10, 01:55 by Michaelsy.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2018-11-16, 21:22:14 (UTC +01:00)