Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: General Help and Support Plugins RSS
Quality Check QC Plugin Suggestions
StarArmy #1
Member since Nov 2011 · 89 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Quality Check QC Plugin Suggestions
1. On the admin config options, change "Quality Summery only visible for members of the admin group" to "Quality Summary only visible for members of the admin group" to correct the spelling.

2. I propose a check that flags "" (a period followed by two spaces). Apparently there are people out there who are leaving two spaces between sentences and that really doesn't belong in a wiki and could cause spacing/justify issues. Having this check in QC would help our wikis look more consistent. The tip for this check could say something like:

Redundant Spaces Between Sentences

The page contains excess spaces between sentences. Putting two spaces between sentences should be avoided because they hinder the flow of the text; instead, the page should be formatted using a single space after each sentence.
MartinR #2
Member since Jul 2015 · 153 posts · Location: UK
Totally disagree.  Always use typewriter conventions in monospaced type, that is why they developed.  Saving the odd byte here and there is not an issue, but rendering large chunks of continuous text hard to read is discourteous to fellow workers.  When the text is rendered multiple spaces are handled by according to display standards.  Ultimately you are free to impose whatever standards you like on your own wiki, but allow others the same discretion please.
StarArmy #3
The internet is not a typewriter. The vast majority of Dokuwiki pages are not displayed in monotype fonts. For example, the default Dokuwiki template and Dokuwiki's wiki use the Arial font. Double spacing is an archaic practice that does not improve readability and should be treated the same way the QC plugin treats forced line breaks.

Every major style guide—including the Modern Language Association Style Manual and the Chicago Manual of Style—prescribes a single space after a period.

See also:

https://slate.com/technology/2011/01/two-spaces-after-a-pe…

https://www.cultofpedagogy.com/two-spaces-after-period/

https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/two-sp…
Michaelsy #4
Member since Jun 2015 · 969 posts · Location: Düsseldorf, Germany
I don't understand your problem. Multiple spaces in wiki code and HTML files are displayed in the browser as one space by default.
By Patreon.com a few eurons can be fed into the code phasers of
the DokuWiki engine. Besides, Andi's posts are worth reading.
This post was edited on 2019-04-01, 21:20 by Michaelsy.
MartinR #5
Member since Jul 2015 · 153 posts · Location: UK
I'm afraid you've missed the point.  DW pages are not displayed in monotype and as Michaelsy says multiple spaces are removed.  Monotype is however used for editing and source code is stored in it.  Use double spacing for editing (particularly if using vi) and let DW transform your text into whatever.

Here’s why: Back when we used typewriters, every character was given the exact same amount of space on the page. That meant the letter i was given the same amount of space as the letter m, even though it clearly didn’t need it. This is called monospaced typesetting and it’s, well, spacey. We needed that extra space between sentences to make it easier to see the beginning of new sentences.[My emphasis]

Word processors and computers and everything that is not a very old typewriter use mostly proportionally spaced fonts, which adjust spacing to the size of the letter. That’s why a proportional font can squeeze 12 letters into the same space where a monospace font can only fit nine:
  From your second reference.  Exactly what I've said, two spaces in monotype and let the word processing sort out the finished document.
This post was edited on 2019-04-01, 22:15 by MartinR.
StarArmy #6
In reply to post #4
Quote by Michaelsy:
I don't understand your problem. Multiple spaces in wiki code and HTML files are displayed in the browser as one space by default.
I tested this and found that, for whatever reason, if you put a double-spaced paragraph and a single-spaced paragraph of the otherwise-same text into Dokuwiki, they will render slightly differently on the page.
Michaelsy #7
Quote by StarArmy:
I tested this and found that, for whatever reason, if you put a double-spaced paragraph and a single-spaced paragraph of the otherwise-same text into Dokuwiki, they will render slightly differently on the page.

See attached file.This is the intended and default behavior.

See also the LiveDemo: http://dw-livedemos.informantum.de/doku.php?id=livedemos:s…
The author has attached one file to this post:
spaces.png 81.9 kBytes
You have no permission to open this file.
This post was edited 3 times, last on 2019-04-01, 23:23 by Michaelsy.
StarArmy #8
Ah, I learned something new today.
turnermm (Moderator) #9
Member since Oct 2009 · 4696 posts · Location: Canada
Group memberships: Global Moderators, Members, Super Mods
HTML "squashes" runs of contiguous spaces and ignores newlines.  To create a newline you have to use the br element and to create runs of spaces you use the   entity.
Myron Turner
github: https://github.com/turnermm
plugins, templates: http://www.mturner.org/devel
Michaelsy #10
In reply to post #8
@StarArmy  BTW: Cool design: https://stararmy.com/wiki !
StarArmy #11
Thanks! I started it in 2007 and it's grown to more than 13k pages (currently about 12k).

Here's some of my favorite pages:

I recently installed the QC plugin to try to bring some of the oldest pages in line with standard layouts. The very early pages from the wiki tended to have a lot of line breaks because we were used to listing information on forums. I think the QC plugin has helped a lot because it gives me a sort of "priority list" of which pages need the most attention.
StarArmy #12
I found another QC plugin issue - for some reason when using the 2018 version of the emoji (emoji substitution) plugin, it stops the smiley face/QC section content from rendering.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2019-09-16, 22:45:58 (UTC +02:00)