Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All posts by DonnyBoy (8)

topic: Does a forum really work?  in the forum: Offtopic Chit Chat
DonnyBoy #1
Member since Mar 2014 · 8 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
> This forum classified as extraordinary, a lot of interaction among the users.

I've checked the dates of last posts on a lot of the global topics where occasionally there was one Today but most were old, which is ok not all topics are being used. I then went in to check the posts and the replies on threads and it was pretty anemic. I'm on a small brewing email based list and the amount of traffic is phenomenal. People constantly bantering back and forth and I bet there are thousands more dokuwiki interaction interested users than that brewing list. Fact of the matter is that email is in our every day lives. You read it because it's there and then think "oh I know the answer to that and reply".

Don't get me wrong I think dokuwiki is great but I just don't think a forum is the best way to chat about it's features, issues and how to manage one. Best concept I would say is a general questions mailing list with digest abilities. I read a few of those every day.

Don
DonnyBoy #2
In reply to post ID 43868
I'm on the dokuwiki mailing list and asked a user question and was pointed to the forums as it was a developer list. About the only traffic on there is the git messages.

I'm on a few forums and a few mailing lists and I find by far the mailing lists get more responses and faster. As said I think most of us are on email constantly. Someone gets the mailing, reads through it and if they know the answer they generally respond in minutes. Forums your hoping that someone goes in and reads it. I'll check turnermm's link.
DonnyBoy #3
Subject: Does a forum really work?
I have a hypothesis that a forum doesn't really work well for support unless someone is dedicated to answering questions as they appear. I can see that they're desirable from the application owner point of view but I suspect that they're not a desirable from the point of view of people with issues to be solved.

I generally find that most IT people stay on top of their email and email discussions have the attention of the people with answers just because of the delivery method. Online forums on the other hand require you to actively go to a site and people tend to not do that unless they have questions. Therefore you tend to have a lot of questions and no answers. Has there been any discussion about having a email discussion group for dokuwiki users?
topic: borderless tables?  in the forum: General Help and Support Syntax and Usage
DonnyBoy #4
In reply to post ID 43438
Finally got around to coming back in here to look for a reply. Thanks for the answer(s).

Don
topic: borderless tables?  in the forum: General Help and Support Syntax and Usage
DonnyBoy #5
In reply to post ID 42698
Anyone?

Is it possible to have invisible borders on tables?

In a similar fashion I'm trying to divide up a page so that it has two columns. I was thinking maybe those invisible border tables would also work here but I don't think so - anyone on a technique for that?
topic: Image and text - same link... (wrap an image and text on the same link)  in the forum: General Help and Support Syntax and Usage
DonnyBoy #6
In reply to post ID 43010
Searching for the same ability

I can get:

===HEADLINE===

but I can't get

IMAGE  ===HEADLINE===
DonnyBoy #7
Subject: borderless tables?
Is it possible to have invisible borders on tables? Trying to
format button icons with various links or text to the right of
the icons. If the line is long and wraps the second line is under
the icon not aligned under the text to the right of it.

Don
topic: [SOLVED] how to setup width in Binky (specification of the width of the wiki pages and the sidebar)  in the forum: General Help and Support Installation and Configuration
DonnyBoy #8
In reply to post ID 42229
Editing the style.ini site and sidebar in either a percentage or whatever an "em" is,  is the right way to change the width of all viewed windows?

[replacements]
; site and sidebar widths
__site_width__      = "100%"
__sidebar_width__   = "15%"

Now the NEW style.ini file in binky looks like that:

; site and sidebar widths
__site_width__      = "75em"            ; @ini_site_width
__sidebar_width__   = "16em"
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Special characters:
Special queries
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2019-07-23, 13:39:11 (UTC +02:00)