Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Page:  1  2  3 ... 8  9  10  next 

All posts by MartinR (137)

topic: Is it acceptable to use languages other than English in this sub-forum?  in the forum: Offtopic Forum Help
MartinR #1
Member since Jul 2015 · 137 posts · Location: UK
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Strictly IMHO, yes but of course monoglots like myself will just skip the message unread.  A further point to consider: how good are Japanese readers at understanding Dutch (taking two languages at random)?  I don't know, but like it or not both can probably read English.
topic: [solved] Rotated text in table headings  in the forum: General Help and Support Templates and Layout
MartinR #2
In reply to post ID 65832
Thanks.  I searched the forums but overlooked that in the plugins.  Just what I needed.  Best, Martin
topic: [solved] Rotated text in table headings  in the forum: General Help and Support Templates and Layout
MartinR #3
Subject: [solved] Rotated text in table headings
Is it possible to rotate the text 90 degrees in table headings?  I have a table with three columns next to each other which will only ever hold "y", "n" or nothing.  It would be nice to rotate the headings so that the columns are only a single character wide.
This post was edited on 2019-04-28, 16:19 by MartinR.
topic: How to report an outdated page (or publication)  in the forum: General Help and Support Features and Functionality
MartinR #4
In reply to post ID 65697
Can this not be done by user education?  At the foot of each page there is a line like:
user/wikipedia_pages_to_work_on.txt · Last modified: 2019/04/10 22:05 by jmr
If your users can be required (thumbscrews? :-D ) to take note of the date/time that should suffice.
topic: Quality Check QC Plugin Suggestions  in the forum: General Help and Support Plugins
MartinR #5
In reply to post ID 65469
I'm afraid you've missed the point.  DW pages are not displayed in monotype and as Michaelsy says multiple spaces are removed.  Monotype is however used for editing and source code is stored in it.  Use double spacing for editing (particularly if using vi) and let DW transform your text into whatever.

Here’s why: Back when we used typewriters, every character was given the exact same amount of space on the page. That meant the letter i was given the same amount of space as the letter m, even though it clearly didn’t need it. This is called monospaced typesetting and it’s, well, spacey. We needed that extra space between sentences to make it easier to see the beginning of new sentences.[My emphasis]

Word processors and computers and everything that is not a very old typewriter use mostly proportionally spaced fonts, which adjust spacing to the size of the letter. That’s why a proportional font can squeeze 12 letters into the same space where a monospace font can only fit nine:
  From your second reference.  Exactly what I've said, two spaces in monotype and let the word processing sort out the finished document.
This post was edited on 2019-04-01, 22:15 by MartinR.
topic: Quality Check QC Plugin Suggestions  in the forum: General Help and Support Plugins
MartinR #6
In reply to post ID 65464
Totally disagree.  Always use typewriter conventions in monospaced type, that is why they developed.  Saving the odd byte here and there is not an issue, but rendering large chunks of continuous text hard to read is discourteous to fellow workers.  When the text is rendered multiple spaces are handled by according to display standards.  Ultimately you are free to impose whatever standards you like on your own wiki, but allow others the same discretion please.
topic: Migration to a new server (permissions issue)  in the forum: General Help and Support Installation and Configuration
MartinR #7
In reply to post ID 65363
Right, this is what I suspected.  When you interact with the webserver it is typically apache that is running.  Please issue the command:
  $ grep apache /etc/apache
  apache:x:48:48:Apache:/usr/share/httpd:/bin/bash
- No need for privilege.  If you see the output above it is pretty safe to assume that you are running the normal server.

When Apache receives a Dokuwiki request it runs the dokuwiki code, as user apache.  Therefore if you are wanting to update a file it is the apache user which does the updating.  Take start.txt.  The permission bits mean that user bitnami has read and write access so can modify the file.  The group named bitnami only has read access, probably not relevant in this case.  "others", that is anyone with access to the file, has read only access, so cannot change it.  Apache is regarded as "others".

You need to change the ownerships for all the old files you have imported.  Please take care, you will need privileged access.  If you have access to a colleague or friend with Linux operations experience I would strongly advise asking them to assist or at least supervise given that you say you are "really not familiar with Linux".

I won't be able to assist further for a while, I'll be spending the rest of the day at the hospital and may be rather "out of things" for a few days afterwards.
topic: Migration to a new server (permissions issue)  in the forum: General Help and Support Installation and Configuration
MartinR #8
In reply to post ID 65361
I'll assume that winscp is just a Windows version of scp.  What user were you when you issued the winscp command?  Unless you took steps otherwise I'd guess that you were logged in as something like danuwiki, and so the files on the new server will have been given the ownership of danuwiki.  When Apache comes to modify the files it can't it doesn't own them.

Do you have privileged (root) access to the Linux box?  If so you can navigate to the top of the Dokuwiki tree and cd into the pages folder.  Issue the command:
  # ls -l
The first column should be mainly -rw-r--r--. for files and drwxrwxr-x. for directories (aka folders).  Ignore the number in the third column.  The fourth and fifth columns should both be "apache".  there is then a date and the file or directory name.  If all that is wrong is the owner and group fields you can issue the command:
  # chown apache:apache *
which will set up the owner and group.  The last character is the asterisk (*).

If you have multiple namespaces then they appear as directories.  To set those up you would need (taking the "user" namespace as an example.:
  # chown -R apache:apache user

A final couple of words to the wise: (1) Backup BEFORE issuing any provileged commands.  (2) do the absolute minimum as root, there is no safety net and you could ruin your whole installation.
topic: SPAM Alerting (current thread)  in the forum: Offtopic Forum Help
MartinR #9
In reply to post ID 65264
https://forum.dokuwiki.org/post/64082;nocount
topic: List pages by creator  in the forum: General Help and Support Features and Functionality
MartinR #10
In reply to post ID 65196
OK, fair comment.  When I had a job I was the System Manager, now my system is just a home computer.  I tend to assume DBM = SM or at least operator.  Sorry.
topic: List pages by creator  in the forum: General Help and Support Features and Functionality
MartinR #11
In reply to post ID 65190
For a few pages, particularly if you know which ones, use the "Old Revisions" tab which shows you the detail.  For an automated search you will need to look at corresponding pages in meta.  For example:
$ grep -o -r jmr meta | grep '.changes:' | sort -u
will return a list of all meta change files where the user "jmr" is listed.  You can then look at the individual files that might be of interest.  The format is:
1475012116    ::1    C    add_dvd    jmr    created   
1495902007    ::1    E    add_dvd    jmr    msn   
1495923828    ::1    E    add_dvd    jmr    Instructions
which shows the timestamp (column 1), DW's user ID (::1), Create or Edit, page name, user name and edit summary.
topic: Choosing among different methods of providing the default namespace page  in the forum: General Help and Support Features and Functionality
MartinR #12
In reply to post ID 65157
1)  playground/ is a namespace.  Namespaces are physically directories (aka folders).
2)  playground/foo/ is another namespace.  It may be within playground/ namespace but it is a different namespace.
3)  playground/foo.txt is a page (file) called "foo" lying within the playground/ namespace.
4)  playground/foo/foo.txt is a different page, also called "foo", but lying in the namespace playground/foo/
5)  playground/foo/start.txt is a page called "start" within the playground/foo/ namespace.

There is no "default namespace", there is a default page.  Namespaces are directories and hold files, they don't hold information.  Files contain text and hold information, they don't hold namespaces.

Consider the following example:  I create two namespaces: books to hold my book catalogue and dvds for DVDs.  I'll assume the base is playground simply to make playing around easier.

playground.txt holds:
  Welcome to my life

* See my [[books:]]
  * See my [[DVDs:]]
Please note the trailing colons!  The two links will go to the default file within each separate namespace.  There will be no playground/books.txt and playground/dvds.txt.

Consider now playground/books/start.txt.  When you click the "books" link above then this page is displayed:
  * [[wlg|The Wiki-lover's Guide]]
  * [[msp|Microsoft problems]]
  * [[Penguins rule]]
Because we are now in the playground/books/ namespace clicking on one of those links will display playground/books/wlg.txt, playground/books/msp.txt or playground/books/penguins_rule.txt respectively.

Quite seriously, the best advice I can give you is to relax and stop fighting the system.  Developers such as Andi and Myron have done most of the hard work for you and if you just relax and go with the flow you will get a straightforward usable system.  To create the model above do:

1) Edit playground.txt.
2) Save.  Click on one of the red links (say "books").
3) When prompted select "Create" from the toolbar.  The namespace and default file will be automatically created for you.
3) Edit the file which you've just created.  Insert links to pages about your books.  You do not need to specify the namespace, the system knows where you are.
4) Click on a book redlink, allow the system to create it and then add in whatever text about the book you wish to save.
topic: Choosing among different methods of providing the default namespace page  in the forum: General Help and Support Features and Functionality
MartinR #13
In reply to post ID 65155
As an example I've just been into my playground and created the links:
  [[.foo]]

[[.bar]]

[[.foo:bar]]

[[foo]]

[[bar]]
I previewed them, and created the first three (open, create, type in "x" and save).  All five links then turned blue.  Going to each one in turn shows:
  [[.foo]]  -> start » playground » foo

[[.bar]]  -> start » playground » bar

[[.foo:bar]]  -> start » playground » foo » bar   (NB, "foo" is in red)

[[foo]]  -> start » playground » foo

[[bar]]  -> start » playground » bar
and as a final check:
  $ find playground/
  playground/
  playground/bar.txt
  playground/foo.txt
  playground/foo
  playground/foo/bar.txt
  playground/playground.txt

Which shows that as Myron indicated there are two namespaces, in this case playground and playground:foo in your original as foo and foo:bar.  You can therefore have your original form 3, but I would still advise against it.  As I originally mentioned, you will get caught out if you attempt to move such dual-rooted structures. :blush:   Far better to have a nice namespace with its index and introduction within it.
MartinR #14
In reply to post ID 65150
I'd avoid the last one.  If you move the start page (commonly an index or explanation) away from the rest of the namespace, then should you ever want to move namespaces around/backup/restore you've just doubled your work and increased the chance of an accident.

Of the first two, it is a matter of designer's choice.  IMHO you need to consider what a reader would expect.  To take an example, I installed the documentation for Audicity on my computer yesterday. a quick look at the file names and I knew I wanted /usr/share/audacity/help/manual/index.html.  If the file had been called something else I'd have been hunting for it: bar.txt? foobar.txt? tuesdaysedit.txt?

Ultimately choice is freedom, selection is design.
topic: How to use Dokuwiki without Internet? (PHP function fsockopen is not available. Maybe your hosting provider disabled it for some reason?)  in the forum: General Help and Support Server Setup
MartinR #15
In reply to post ID 65149
One other minor niggle when not connected: help pages are not available.  You'll probably end up collecting a bunch of them from the main site and installing them elsewhere.  You do at least get the basic syntax page included automatically.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Special characters:
Page:  1  2  3 ... 8  9  10  next 
Special queries
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2019-05-24, 09:24:12 (UTC +02:00)