Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Page:  1  2  3 ... 8  9  10  next 

All posts by MartinR (146)

topic: Greetings to the Well of Knowledge!  in the forum: Community User Introductions
MartinR #1
Member since Jul 2015 · 146 posts · Location: UK
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
I've played with this idea before.  Is there any way to launch an appropriate program to deal with other format documents?  For instance it would be nice to launch Libre Office to handle .odts or the document viewer for .pdfs.  The sort of system I was aiming for would use DW to handle document metadata and then hand off the document processing to a word processor, editor or similar.  Actual documents could be kept in either a hidden namespace or else in a separate directory.  I realise that there are issues with file ownership, specifically they would all end up as apache:apache, but then DW's inbuilt ACLs can handle this problem.
topic: How to do nested list?  in the forum: General Help and Support Syntax and Usage
MartinR #2
In reply to post ID 66828
See https://www.dokuwiki.org/wiki:syntax#lists
topic: Spam Alerts  in the forum: Offtopic Forum Help
MartinR #3
In reply to post ID 66704
https://forum.dokuwiki.org/thread/17074
topic: Hello. What do you all think of MediaWiki? (I’m new to this forum)  in the forum: Offtopic Chit Chat
MartinR #4
In reply to post ID 66566
Just remember that the markup is different.  Don't do what a former colleague did; import pages from my DW site and paste them in a MW site - then accuse me of not knowing how to do the markup!  (I've been editing WP for nearly 10 years and could tech him a thing or two).
topic: Spam Alerts  in the forum: Offtopic Forum Help
MartinR #5
In reply to post ID 66511
https://forum.dokuwiki.org/thread/17040
topic: Solved | show the number of characters in text  in the forum: General Help and Support Features and Functionality
MartinR #6
In reply to post ID 66443
The extension manager on Frustrick also fails to find it.  Aparently the only thing tagged with "toolbox" is iphelper plugin.
topic: Discussions disappear from view  in the forum: General Help and Support Features and Functionality
MartinR #7
In reply to post ID 66440
Probably not an option, but if you run a farm you can have different templates for each animal.  At home I hit formatting problems with the bureaucracy plugin under the Vector template and had to run up a farm so as to use standard DokuWiki template for one project.
topic: Trouble deleting malisous users from the list (tryiing to delete a list of fake usernames injected by an attecker)  in the forum: General Help and Support Installation and Configuration
MartinR #8
In reply to post ID 66430
You can always edit $CONF/users.auth.php directly.  Quiesce the site first of course!
topic: Discussions disappear from view  in the forum: General Help and Support Features and Functionality
MartinR #9
In reply to post ID 66428
Have you considered the vector template https://www.dokuwiki.org/template:vector?  It's based on the MediaWiki look and will be familiar to anyone who has used Wikipedia.  Like WP it has a "Discussion" tab on the left which takes you to a talk: namespace.  As well as preserving discussions it allows the administrator to keep the wiki under control (only authorised editors may write to it) whilst allowing anyone with access to contribute to a discussion.  I used to run a departmental wiki where the ACLs allowed developers to write to the development area, system staff to the help and announcements, and corporate users only to discussions.
topic: Is it acceptable to use languages other than English in this sub-forum?  in the forum: Offtopic Forum Help
MartinR #10
In reply to post ID 66239
Strictly IMHO, yes but of course monoglots like myself will just skip the message unread.  A further point to consider: how good are Japanese readers at understanding Dutch (taking two languages at random)?  I don't know, but like it or not both can probably read English.
topic: [solved] Rotated text in table headings  in the forum: General Help and Support Templates and Layout
MartinR #11
In reply to post ID 65832
Thanks.  I searched the forums but overlooked that in the plugins.  Just what I needed.  Best, Martin
topic: [solved] Rotated text in table headings  in the forum: General Help and Support Templates and Layout
MartinR #12
Subject: [solved] Rotated text in table headings
Is it possible to rotate the text 90 degrees in table headings?  I have a table with three columns next to each other which will only ever hold "y", "n" or nothing.  It would be nice to rotate the headings so that the columns are only a single character wide.
This post was edited on 2019-04-28, 16:19 by MartinR.
topic: How to report an outdated page (or publication)  in the forum: General Help and Support Features and Functionality
MartinR #13
In reply to post ID 65697
Can this not be done by user education?  At the foot of each page there is a line like:
user/wikipedia_pages_to_work_on.txt · Last modified: 2019/04/10 22:05 by jmr
If your users can be required (thumbscrews? :-D ) to take note of the date/time that should suffice.
topic: Quality Check QC Plugin Suggestions  in the forum: General Help and Support Plugins
MartinR #14
In reply to post ID 65469
I'm afraid you've missed the point.  DW pages are not displayed in monotype and as Michaelsy says multiple spaces are removed.  Monotype is however used for editing and source code is stored in it.  Use double spacing for editing (particularly if using vi) and let DW transform your text into whatever.

Here’s why: Back when we used typewriters, every character was given the exact same amount of space on the page. That meant the letter i was given the same amount of space as the letter m, even though it clearly didn’t need it. This is called monospaced typesetting and it’s, well, spacey. We needed that extra space between sentences to make it easier to see the beginning of new sentences.[My emphasis]

Word processors and computers and everything that is not a very old typewriter use mostly proportionally spaced fonts, which adjust spacing to the size of the letter. That’s why a proportional font can squeeze 12 letters into the same space where a monospace font can only fit nine:
  From your second reference.  Exactly what I've said, two spaces in monotype and let the word processing sort out the finished document.
This post was edited on 2019-04-01, 22:15 by MartinR.
topic: Quality Check QC Plugin Suggestions  in the forum: General Help and Support Plugins
MartinR #15
In reply to post ID 65464
Totally disagree.  Always use typewriter conventions in monospaced type, that is why they developed.  Saving the odd byte here and there is not an issue, but rendering large chunks of continuous text hard to read is discourteous to fellow workers.  When the text is rendered multiple spaces are handled by according to display standards.  Ultimately you are free to impose whatever standards you like on your own wiki, but allow others the same discretion please.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Special characters:
Page:  1  2  3 ... 8  9  10  next 
Special queries
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2019-07-21, 02:27:37 (UTC +02:00)