Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Page:  1  2  3 ... 6  7  8  next 

All posts by FosseWay (118)

topic: The datadir ('pages') at ./data/pages is not found  in the forum: General Help and Support Installation and Configuration
FosseWay #1
Member since May 2016 · 118 posts · Location: Canada
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
I recently submitted a PR which provides slightly more granular info about permissions issues, as well as a link to the dokuwiki.org page where relevant info is gathered. Of course, as andi suggests, DokuWiki can't magically fix everything for every installation in every situation. What if the web user isn't called www-data? What if <1000 other things>? Somebody has to bleed the brakes; either you learn to do it yourself, or you pay a mechanic  <_<

Still, the manual can always be improved, and I hope that there is no harm in providing a link to the manual for the car or having more specific warning lights on the dashboard, if we're continuing with the car analogy  :-)
This post was edited on 2019-05-29, 15:23 by FosseWay.
topic: Move "not maintained anymore" plugins to a separate section ?  in the forum: Community dokuwiki.org
FosseWay #2
In reply to post ID 66266
Thank you ach. I should really have found that myself, so thank you for the patient response.

I acquired a list of all plugins and their reported raw popularity. I found reference to plugin-specific data in ./lib/plugins/extension/helper/extension.php but haven't managed to get e.g. 'last updated' values yet; do you know if those are available via the API?

Looking at results plugin Search and Install tab, I wonder if too much weight is given to whole-word matching, and not enough to popularity and recency. To show what I mean, type 'list' into the tab. I would expect three popular list-related plugins to appear at the top: pagelist, filelist, and catlist. Instead, the top hit is a plugin called deflist. Its reported popularity score is 64 out of a possible ~100,000, and it was last updated in August 2007. On that basis, it surely does not deserve the top spot in the search results.

Please note that I have nothing against deflist! deflist is still available for download from the author's site - despite predating the 2008 foundation of GitHub - and looks as though it will still work. It has rich documentation, and I am considering installing it on my own wiki  :-)

I don't have a well-formed proposal yet for what could be improved, but I hope that the example above shows what I am thinking.

Edit: searching for "changes" doesn't seem to return the Changes plugin at all! I found it using the word "recent". Can anyone else without Changes plugin installed see the same behaviour?
This post was edited 2 times, last on 2019-05-29, 04:12 by FosseWay.
topic: Syntax plugin: pass data from PHP to JavaScript without an inline script  in the forum: General Help and Support Development
FosseWay #3
In reply to post ID 66243
Quote by turnermm:
I am not entirely clear where this data originates.  Is it dynamically developed in the syntax plugin or does it exist outside of the syntax plugin? And is it needed in the syntax plugin, or can it be passed to jQuery independently of the syntax plugin?
Yes, the data is developed within the render function of the cloud plugin. It is also needed within the syntax plugin because the current behaviour is to write out a list of HTML links. Even with my JavaScript override, I'd like to still write out the HTML as a fallback to display if the user's browser fails to use jQuery to replace the content of the cloud div with the fancy JS cloud.
topic: Syntax plugin: pass data from PHP to JavaScript without an inline script  in the forum: General Help and Support Development
FosseWay #4
In reply to post ID 66234
Thank you turnermm for weighing in. I should probably show my hand a bit here.

My goal is to fuse the existing DokuWiki cloud plugin with d3-cloud. Although I appreciate the existing cloud plugin, I would like to enhance it so that it [optionally] makes use of more modern techniques to display a more visually arresting word cloud. I'm not intending to replace the default behaviour, since I expect that people may rely on it or like it just fine the way it is.

The key-pair values represent words for the word cloud, and their incidence, which informs their size relative to one another.

Quote by turnermm:
I am not entirely clear where this data originates.  Is it dynamically developed in the syntax plugin or does it exist outside of the syntax plugin? And is it needed in the syntax plugin, or can it be passed to jQuery independently of the syntax plugin?
I'm not able to dig into the code right now, so I'll have to look at this later in more depth when I can spend time with a terminal; the same goes for your #2. I will respond properly as soon as I can. Thank you!
topic: authldap working with LDAP, but when switch to LDAPS it fails  in the forum: General Help and Support Installation and Configuration
FosseWay #5
In reply to post ID 66220
Other than local.php, I'm not aware of anywhere else you would need to add settings to get this working.

If you're working on the server directly, you might consider moving your auth settings from local.php to local.protected.php, since that will ensure that only you/someone with server access can modify them, rather than an admin via the web interface. Not directly relevant to your issue, but worth being aware of.

It is certainly worthwhile to verify with colleagues that LDAPS is working for other services talking to this AD server as you suggest. What platform is your web server? Whatever it is, it's also worth getting some LDAP/LDAPS command-line tools on your server and using them to narrow down the issue. Can you query/authenticate LDAPS using a command-line tool on your web server? If not, you'd need to solve that first.
FosseWay #6
In reply to post ID 66219
Thank you schplurtz for taking the time to set all of this out.

I agree that the documentation is only discouraging inline scripts, rather than forbidding them. Perhaps in the my case, where all I want to do is provide a small-ish amount of data (maybe 50-100 key/pair values) and the inline script isn't otherwise taking any action, it's OK to just use an inline script. I appreciate the example of the indexmenu plugin, since that certainly shows that it's de facto acceptable to use inline scripts sometimes.
topic: authldap working with LDAP, but when switch to LDAPS it fails  in the forum: General Help and Support Installation and Configuration
FosseWay #7
In reply to post ID 66176
Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious, but you say that:
Quote by snuffy:
I can telnet to the LDAP server on 389 and 386, so assume this test means that it's listening on that port.
But in your config, you have:
Quote by snuffy:
$conf['plugin']['authldap']['server'] = 'ldaps://10.0.0.10:636';
What happens if you telnet to port 636? Are other entities using LDAPS successfully with this domain controller, i.e. is LDAPS definitely configured and running on the server?
This post was edited on 2019-05-21, 22:39 by FosseWay.
FosseWay #8
Subject: Syntax plugin: pass data from PHP to JavaScript without an inline script
I'm working on a syntax plugin. If I have data in PHP, and would like to know how to make it available to JQuery without using an inline script, since use of inline scripts is discouraged as per https://www.dokuwiki.org/devel:javascript#inline_scripts

The data I want to pass from PHP to JavaScript is a list of key-value pairs, e.g.
fruit: 35
apple: 3
banana: 7
cherry: 9

I have considered writing this out as JSON inside a hidden div, which seems ugly. I have read the documentation about JSINFO, but I'm not clear whether that's viable.

Further reading has lead me to https://www.dokuwiki.org/devel:plugin_programming_tips#han… which I believe does offer what I need, although I haven't been able to try it out yet.

Any advice gratefully received!
This post was edited 3 times, last on 2019-05-22, 02:55 by FosseWay.
topic: filelist help  in the forum: General Help and Support Plugins
FosseWay #9
In reply to post ID 66146
Let's say you have a namespace:
fruit
which contains three pages:
fruit:apple
fruit:banana
fruit:cherry

Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly, but I think you want to list only those files which are attached to the page
fruit:apple

The problem I see with that is that media objects exist within a namespace, rather than being attached to a single page.

Perhaps I should ask: how are you defining "attached to a single page"? Do you mean media items which are displayed on a particular page?
topic: Move "not maintained anymore" plugins to a separate section ?  in the forum: Community dokuwiki.org
FosseWay #10
In reply to post ID 64410
I'm also interested in doing something to improve the process of finding/choosing plugins which are recent/maintained/popular/working vs. those which are less so.

Yes, I am volunteering to do some work. Before I begin, though, I want to make sure that I am working in the right direction.  :-)

Is the [anonymized] plugin popularity/usage data available publicly?
topic: 10000+ Git commits!  in the forum: General Help and Support Development
FosseWay #11
In reply to post ID 65613
I can't take much credit for this, but I think it's well worth knowing that this milestone has been reached. :cool:

DokuWiki is fifteen years old and still going strong!
topic: Apache + Kerberos + SSO  in the forum: General Help and Support Server Setup
FosseWay #12
In reply to post ID 65904
Getting SSO + Kerberos to work on a corporate wiki was a real struggle for me too, but I finally achieved it. Please check this thread where both I and at least one other user posted our issues and the eventual solution to see if it helps you. Let us know how you get on.
topic: The datadir ('pages') at ./data/pages is not found, isn't accessible or writable.  in the forum: General Help and Support Installation and Configuration
FosseWay #13
In reply to post ID 65857
Can't emphasize enough that what andi says above is correct. This behaviour is frustrating - I've seen it myself on a new installation - but it is not caused by DokuWiki itself, but by some issue with permissions between your webserver and the OS it sits on top of.

On Linux, check for SELinux denials.
topic: Difficulty with LDAP for an Active Directory Group  in the forum: General Help and Support Installation and Configuration
FosseWay #14
In reply to post ID 65924
Have you seen this possibly-relevant forum thread from 2017?

Your error message appears there, so it's got to be worth a look. If you can, try the things I suggest there, and let us know how you get on.
topic: Greetings from Toronto, ON  in the forum: Community User Introductions
FosseWay #15
In reply to post ID 65913
As a fellow Canadian and DokuWiki enthusiast: welcome to DokuWiki.

While the community around DokuWiki might not be as big as that around a giant project like MediaWiki, that has some definite upsides. For instance, over the years, I've found that very experienced people (including DokuWiki supremo andi) have directly answered good questions and given invaluable insight to me and others. If you have the patience to craft a wiki prototype using 40 Word documents(!!!), using and administering an actual DokuWiki instance should a breeze by comparison  :-)

Since you're already reading documentation and using google, any remaining questions you have will probably be good ones. Good luck with your wiki.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Special characters:
Page:  1  2  3 ... 6  7  8  next 
Special queries
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2020-02-17, 07:24:56 (UTC +01:00)