Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All posts by fusibal (3)

topic: Server load for creating search index? [SOLVED]  in the forum: General Help and Support Server Setup
fusibal #1
Member since Mar 2009 · 3 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Quote by chi:
No, your browser will "download" the fake image in the background, and therefore call the indexer in the background. That's the whole reason for doing it this way, to not delay the output of the page.

I see.  I looked at the code and the page output a bit more closely, and now I understand a bit better how the indexer works.  Thanks for the explanation Chi.
topic: Server load for creating search index? [SOLVED]  in the forum: General Help and Support Server Setup
fusibal #2
In reply to post ID 11516
Quote by chi:
It's not because the tpl_indexerWebbug outputs basically a 1x1 pixel give which "calls" the indexer in the background. If you'd put that outside of </html> you'd end up having a invalid XHTML document.

Chi, thanks for the answer.  I have two issues with this:
1. Does it not delay the output of </body></html> tags for the duration of the time server runs tpl_indexerWebbug?
2. I don't see a need for any output by the tpl_indexerWebbug at all.  It does not have to be flanked by div element.  The server outputs nothing after </html> tag.  We can just remove the 1x1 dummy pixel call from the function.

I expect that neither will affect performance much except possibly for very large pages.  Let me know what you think.
fusibal #3
In reply to post ID 3116
Does it matter if we output the ending html tag and then call indexer?

<html ...>
  ... all the stuff to dump out to browser
</html>

<?php
  ob_flush(); flush(); //force everything to be sent to browser.
  tpl_indexerWebBug();
?>

Andi, isn't this better? and if not, then please explain.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Special characters:
Special queries
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2020-02-17, 08:56:28 (UTC +01:00)