Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All posts by rmgregory (4)

topic: What PHP IDE to use?  in the forum: Offtopic Chit Chat
rmgregory #1
Member since Jul 2009 · 4 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
NetBeans is worth evaluating. It is Java-based, free, fast-loading, and generally functional. Fast-loading is an advantage not present in all IDEs.
topic: Admin Speed Issues (Browser speed problems when logged in as a member of the @admin group)  in the forum: General Help and Support Installation and Configuration
rmgregory #2
In reply to post ID 14157
Subject: Persists in 2009-10-01
This is actually an issue and I personally can't determine why (and should be able to do so).

When logged in as a member of the admin group, more specifically when maintained login as a member of the admin group, all pages incur a delay. The delay is more pronounced when "Use gzip Content-Encoding for xhtml" is enabled. The delay is actually at the end of rendering: content is returned to the browser, but the transaction doesn't complete (in the browser's opinion) and ultimately the browser times out. A Firefox add-on allows visualization of the behavior.
topic: Thanks for A Job Well Done  in the forum: General Help and Support Features and Functionality
rmgregory #3
Subject: Thanks for A Job Well Done
I've experimented quite a bit with DokuWiki recently and truly appreciate its functionality, flexibility, thorough documentation, and efficiency. I would suggest the product to anyone who asks for my opinion! Having made that statement, I'll point out some nagging issues which, wile not bugs, deserve some attention:
  * Footnote capability, while far, far superior to ALL other known Wiki and blog engines, uses a summarization technique that causes footnotes to appear inappropriately out-of-sequence: an author who uses standard "Ibid." notation may find that his reference to the previous footnote is misleading because (for example) footnote #5  has been "moved up" and combined with footnote #1. This is particularly troublesome when manuscripts are transcribed and cannot be edited to match the behaviour. [Again, I'll stress that the DokuWiki footnote capability is better than that of , for example, MediaWiki.]
  * It would be helpful if each table was rendered including a unique ID in the opening XHTML tag.  To aid in my own efforts, I edited the parser code to call mt_rand() and use its output in such an ID.
  * It would be helpful to be able to //easily// force rebuild of the index, complete with a metadata rebuild and rebuild of the sitemap.

DokuWiki's handling of CSS and script is excellent -- I wish others would embrace the same sort of desire for efficiency. Template creation is relatively straightforward. The hooks provided for plugins are also well-written and quite handy.

The data and gallery plugins are excellent enhancements to the core functionality. Other plugins also offer functionality and, when carefully reviewed and edited to suit specific needs, can be useful: it seems unwise, though, to use even the most popular plugins without fully understanding their behaviors and ramifications.

Thanks for a useful product!
topic: DATA plug-in's URL format  in the forum: General Help and Support Plugins
rmgregory #4
Subject: DATA plug-in's URL format
I have been using the Data plug-in on several pages and appreciate its functionality; however, I can't find any documentation regarding the the URLs it generates.  Such documentation would be useful in creating (for example) a page which includes a filter-by-letter feature in addition to the filter-by-keyword feature already present.  Here is a clearer description of the example scenario:

Suppose there exists a namespace in which each topic is the name of a person in citation order (that is, last name first) and each topic includes a structured data block specifying (among other things) keywords related to the person about whom the topic relates. Also suppose that the default page of the namespace presents a structured data table listing information from 50 of the subordinate topics and presents a data cloud allowing filtering by keyword. 

For a small working example, which might be clearer, see http://notebook.blueridgeconcepts.com/doku.php/people/sysm…

All of that is easily 'do-able' with the existing data plug-in... but it would be nice to be able to permit the user to click on a letter (appearing in a small table, perhaps) to invoke the data plug-in's filter syntax 'filter ~A*', for example, to restrict the display to page titles beginning with the letter 'A'.  Obviously, one could achieve this with 26 pages, each a clone of the default page with the filter syntax itself changed; however, I'd guess that the syntax of the 'dataflt" parameter to data plug-in would also support it.

Any thoughts??
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Special characters:
Special queries
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2020-02-17, 07:27:28 (UTC +01:00)