Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Page:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  next 

All posts by StarArmy (102)

topic: Help with plugins installation please !!! (Wrap Plugin - Failed to download the file...)  in the forum: General Help and Support Installation and Configuration
StarArmy #1
Member since Nov 2011 · 102 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Doesn't this also cause an annoying notice to be displayed at the top of every wiki page that warns that the wiki was unable to check for updates?
topic: Help with plugins installation please !!! (Wrap Plugin - Failed to download the file...)  in the forum: General Help and Support Installation and Configuration
StarArmy #2
In reply to post ID 67486
I think I remember this happening to me once and it was some issue with the connection. Basically your Dokuwiki isn't able to talk to Github securely. Might be an HTTPS/certificate issue (?) and probably has to do with this being on an NAS instead of a typical web server.
topic: Dokuwiki powered websites  in the forum: General Help and Support General Stuff
StarArmy #3
In reply to post ID 67480
Well, the #1 most obvious thing is designing with a mobile-first philosophy. Statistically most people are visiting sites with their phones these days. Probably some high-speed fonts for that "new" look and a nice header. Overall look would be something like Google's material design. Support light and dark mode preferences declared by browsers. For the sidebar and/or controls we could have them on a flyout that slides in from the side (like this on a phone or a narrow width window https://stararmy.com/roleplay-forum/misc/style?style_id=41 ). We'd use the now-common "menu" icon (three horizontal bars) for that. For editable pages we could have a floating pencil icon in the bottom right corner. Anything we can do with AJAX animations instead of reloading the entire page is probably a good thing.

Other ideas: Add and alerts system and add push notifications as a subscription option for users to get alerts on the bar at the top of their phone. Add the move plugin into the bundled plugins (it's way more useful than, say, WRAP). Also it would be a good idea to create a survey both to gather ideas and to create buzz in development. Finally find out what's popular on collaborative/community websites and make auth plugins (or guides on how to use AuthPDO with those specific softwares) for them and position/market Dokuwiki as a useful partner to those things (e.g. Xenforo, Woltlab, etc). Integration is a big deal these days and people want something that's going to play nice with their other platforms.
topic: Dokuwiki powered websites  in the forum: General Help and Support General Stuff
StarArmy #4
In reply to post ID 67478
Quote by ach:
Are you?
Of course not. I'm not a coder. I just did my first Dokuwiki code edit ever only a couple weeks ago and I was just happy not to break anything. I flunked out of my bachelors in IT. I run a wiki and forum and build content and an online community (which I am not compensated for), not web software. But the attitude that I see, which is essentially "if you don't contribute code, you don't matter" is elitist and toxic and discourages people from making further suggestions.

I think the real questions we should be asking is "what features and looks do 2019 users expect and desire in a new default style/template?" and how do we get there in 2020?
StarArmy #5
In reply to post ID 67474
I think hj's suggestions and observations are very astute and this thread has been eye-opening for me...in a negative way. To summarize what I've seen hj is saying "Here's a direction I think Dokuwiki should go" and the response from the creators is essentially "We've decided that the direction we are going is nowhere."

More and more, the impression I get is that Dokuwiki's golden age is over. The forum moves slowly, the bug tracker moves slowly, many pull requests seem to be ignored, there's been no releases this year, and the lead devs are here saying essentially if you want a change, you'll have to do it yourself because we're no longer putting in any major effort. I feel like we're on a path to obsolescence here and I need start looking for a converter to another software because Dokuwiki's days are numbered and it's only a matter of time before development halts, leaving wikis vulnerable to the latest security flaw discovered or broken due to some change in PHP or something, and that will be the end of this software.

I hope I'm wrong, as I really like Dokuwiki and have been using it since 2007. But something has to change for things to get better.
topic: Spam Alerts  in the forum: Offtopic Forum Help
StarArmy #6
In reply to post ID 67281
Old spam! https://forum.dokuwiki.org/post/58315
topic: Get a list of pages by size?  in the forum: General Help and Support Features and Functionality
StarArmy #7
In reply to post ID 60851
Hmm, we need some way to do this in the GUI. It would really help find and remove pages with no content (Where someone has saved only a space character, or perhaps an unifnished page with only headers and no content).
topic: Hello. What do you all think of MediaWiki? (I’m new to this forum)  in the forum: Offtopic Chit Chat
StarArmy #8
In reply to post ID 66568
I think MediaWiki's markup is horrible. I really, really like Dokuwiki's markup instead and that was a major factor when I decided which software to use back in 2007. I also like that Dokuwiki's files are easily-readable text files that can survive even if my database server is down and Dokuwiki is somehow broken.

I don't have any issues with mediawiki users though.
topic: Statistics are broken  in the forum: Community dokuwiki.org
StarArmy #9
In reply to post ID 60608
I can confirm this link still gives this error.
topic: Largest Dokuwikis (Some fun stats)  in the forum: General Help and Support General Stuff
StarArmy #10
Subject: Largest Dokuwikis
I was playing around again with the popularity plugin and decided to grab an output of all the page_count of wikis that report stats and then I sorted them in Excel to get a list from largest to smallest. Here's what I found (data as of about now):

Largest Dokuwikis by Page Count

1. 743,926 pages (what is this huge wiki??)
2. 310,693 pages
3. 251,657 pages
4. 244,232 pages
5. 239,002 pages
6. 237,986 pages
7. 236,180 pages
8. 235,083 pages
9. 186,154 pages
10. 178,109 pages

Total wikis with over 100,000 pages: 24

Total wikis with over 50,000 pages: 59

Total wikis with over 25,000 pages: 130

Total wikis with over 10k pages: 254

Total wikis with over 5k pages: 453

Total wikis with 1k pages or more: 1372

Total wikis with 100 pages or more: 2236

These stats don't account for wikis that have the exact same numbers of pages (tied ranking) so they probably are less accurate as the numbers decrease.

I also found out that my wiki ranks: 215th largest wiki (haha). I wish the popularity plugin would say something like "Your wiki is the 215th largest Dokuwiki by page count" when you submitted.
This post was edited on 2019-09-19, 16:44 by StarArmy.
topic: About Half of All DokuWikis Have Less Than 16 pages  in the forum: General Help and Support General Stuff
StarArmy #11
Subject: About Half of All DokuWikis Have Less Than 16 pages
I was playing around with the popularity plugin results and I found if you look at this...

https://www.dokuwiki.org/lib/plugins/pluginrepo/…?key=pa…

...you can see that about half of all Dokuwikis have between 3 and 15 pages in their installation.

Why are there so many tiny wikis out there? My best guess is that people install them with the intent to document things but they give up because they get lazy or confused. Or maybe there's just a bunch of test wikis out there that only exist to make sure that Plugin Foo works with version Bar.

Maybe we should promote some sort of International Wiki Page Creation Day to encourage/remind people to flesh out their neglected little wiki installations, or make some video tutorials or something.
topic: New version on it's way  in the forum: Community dokuwiki.org
StarArmy #12
In reply to post ID 66569
No.
topic: I set permissions but it doesn't seem to apply.  in the forum: General Help and Support Features and Functionality
StarArmy #13
In reply to post ID 67301
Is it possible for you to show us a screenshot of your ACL settings? This might assist with seeing what the issue is.
topic: printed version dokuwiki (how to make a printed version of an online dokuwiki)  in the forum: General Help and Support Features and Functionality
StarArmy #14
In reply to post ID 67265
The most simple way might be to just use your browser's print function for each page on that wiki, punch holes in the pages, and then put them in a binder with a table of contents in the front.
topic: Strange error after install.php  in the forum: General Help and Support Installation and Configuration
StarArmy #15
In reply to post ID 67243
Maybe what happened was the owner of the original data folder was different than the owner of the doku-created data folder and it was a directory permissions issue.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Special characters:
Page:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  next 
Special queries
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2019-10-16, 20:43:57 (UTC +02:00)