Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Page:  1  2  3 ... 6  7  8  next 

All posts by StarArmy (109)

topic: Delete/rename page button  in the forum: General Help and Support Plugins Plugin Wishlist
StarArmy #1
Member since Nov 2011 · 109 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
You can easily delete pages by editing them and then removing the entire contents and saving the empty page.
topic: WikiDNA (setting up)  in the forum: General Help and Support Installation and Configuration
StarArmy #2
In reply to post ID 67821
Edit your start page or whatever page you're on and make a link to
[[wikidna:start]]
And see if that takes you where you want to go.
topic: Draft section - where changes are not stored?  in the forum: General Help and Support Features and Functionality
StarArmy #3
In reply to post ID 67790
What I do on my wiki is I have a namespace called WIP (for works-in-progress) where users can develop their articles. When they're done, they get reviewed by the staff and moved to their permanent namespaces using the Move plugin. The WIP: namespace is set via ACL to give read permissions only to registered users so they public (and search robots) can't see the unfinished/unapproved articles.
topic: Random generator plugin? (Is there a plugin that lets you do something like random-generator.com?)  in the forum: General Help and Support Plugins
StarArmy #4
In reply to post ID 62554
I, too, am very interested in a plugin like this for my RPG.

For far I've been building and using PHP-based ones but having one that is in the wiki would really open the door for my users to easily make their own random tables.
topic: Find old pages, which were edited by me  in the forum: General Help and Support Features and Functionality
StarArmy #5
In reply to post ID 67762
If each page you made has a link to your user page on the wiki (if you use user pages) then maybe you could go through the list of backlinks to your user page.
topic: Gallery thumbnail images slow or broken  in the forum: General Help and Support Features and Functionality
StarArmy #6
In reply to post ID 67414
Could your server be experiencing high load or low resources?
topic: It's time to migrate smileys to emojis???  in the forum: General Help and Support Features and Functionality
StarArmy #7
In reply to post ID 67662
Yes! Absolutely! Smileys are basically unnecessary when now that emoji are in widespread use. Dokuwikis old smileys look pretty antiquated at this point.

NOTE: I attempted to use an emoji in the original version of this post and everything after it was dropped.
topic: Help with plugins installation please !!! (Wrap Plugin - Failed to download the file...)  in the forum: General Help and Support Installation and Configuration
StarArmy #8
In reply to post ID 67488
Doesn't this also cause an annoying notice to be displayed at the top of every wiki page that warns that the wiki was unable to check for updates?
topic: Help with plugins installation please !!! (Wrap Plugin - Failed to download the file...)  in the forum: General Help and Support Installation and Configuration
StarArmy #9
In reply to post ID 67486
I think I remember this happening to me once and it was some issue with the connection. Basically your Dokuwiki isn't able to talk to Github securely. Might be an HTTPS/certificate issue (?) and probably has to do with this being on an NAS instead of a typical web server.
topic: Dokuwiki powered websites  in the forum: General Help and Support General Stuff
StarArmy #10
In reply to post ID 67480
Well, the #1 most obvious thing is designing with a mobile-first philosophy. Statistically most people are visiting sites with their phones these days. Probably some high-speed fonts for that "new" look and a nice header. Overall look would be something like Google's material design. Support light and dark mode preferences declared by browsers. For the sidebar and/or controls we could have them on a flyout that slides in from the side (like this on a phone or a narrow width window https://stararmy.com/roleplay-forum/misc/style?style_id=41 ). We'd use the now-common "menu" icon (three horizontal bars) for that. For editable pages we could have a floating pencil icon in the bottom right corner. Anything we can do with AJAX animations instead of reloading the entire page is probably a good thing.

Other ideas: Add and alerts system and add push notifications as a subscription option for users to get alerts on the bar at the top of their phone. Add the move plugin into the bundled plugins (it's way more useful than, say, WRAP). Also it would be a good idea to create a survey both to gather ideas and to create buzz in development. Finally find out what's popular on collaborative/community websites and make auth plugins (or guides on how to use AuthPDO with those specific softwares) for them and position/market Dokuwiki as a useful partner to those things (e.g. Xenforo, Woltlab, etc). Integration is a big deal these days and people want something that's going to play nice with their other platforms.
topic: Dokuwiki powered websites  in the forum: General Help and Support General Stuff
StarArmy #11
In reply to post ID 67478
Quote by ach:
Are you?
Of course not. I'm not a coder. I just did my first Dokuwiki code edit ever only a couple weeks ago and I was just happy not to break anything. I flunked out of my bachelors in IT. I run a wiki and forum and build content and an online community (which I am not compensated for), not web software. But the attitude that I see, which is essentially "if you don't contribute code, you don't matter" is elitist and toxic and discourages people from making further suggestions.

I think the real questions we should be asking is "what features and looks do 2019 users expect and desire in a new default style/template?" and how do we get there in 2020?
StarArmy #12
In reply to post ID 67474
I think hj's suggestions and observations are very astute and this thread has been eye-opening for me...in a negative way. To summarize what I've seen hj is saying "Here's a direction I think Dokuwiki should go" and the response from the creators is essentially "We've decided that the direction we are going is nowhere."

More and more, the impression I get is that Dokuwiki's golden age is over. The forum moves slowly, the bug tracker moves slowly, many pull requests seem to be ignored, there's been no releases this year, and the lead devs are here saying essentially if you want a change, you'll have to do it yourself because we're no longer putting in any major effort. I feel like we're on a path to obsolescence here and I need start looking for a converter to another software because Dokuwiki's days are numbered and it's only a matter of time before development halts, leaving wikis vulnerable to the latest security flaw discovered or broken due to some change in PHP or something, and that will be the end of this software.

I hope I'm wrong, as I really like Dokuwiki and have been using it since 2007. But something has to change for things to get better.
topic: Spam Alerts  in the forum: Offtopic Forum Help
StarArmy #13
In reply to post ID 67281
Old spam! https://forum.dokuwiki.org/post/58315
topic: Get a list of pages by size?  in the forum: General Help and Support Features and Functionality
StarArmy #14
In reply to post ID 60851
Hmm, we need some way to do this in the GUI. It would really help find and remove pages with no content (Where someone has saved only a space character, or perhaps an unifnished page with only headers and no content).
topic: Hello. What do you all think of MediaWiki? (I’m new to this forum)  in the forum: Offtopic Chit Chat
StarArmy #15
In reply to post ID 66568
I think MediaWiki's markup is horrible. I really, really like Dokuwiki's markup instead and that was a major factor when I decided which software to use back in 2007. I also like that Dokuwiki's files are easily-readable text files that can survive even if my database server is down and Dokuwiki is somehow broken.

I don't have any issues with mediawiki users though.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Special characters:
Page:  1  2  3 ... 6  7  8  next 
Special queries
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2019-12-08, 23:42:50 (UTC +01:00)