Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: General Help and Support Installation and Configuration RSS
Problem sending email
jamesvan #1
Member since Feb 2007 · 7 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Problem sending email
I recently moved our wiki to a new server and copied all settings, including the php.ini from the old server, however, Dokuwiki still reports that emails can't be sent.  Can anyone help me track down this problem?

Thank you.
James V
harv #2
Member since Jul 2007 · 11 posts
I had a similar issue, there are several things to check.  One is that there are no firewall rules preventing your smtp traffic from your new server.  Another is to see if your smtp server requires an allow rule from your new server.  Have you checked into those?
jamesvan #3
Yes, the old wiki server is still operational and the email works.  The new wiki server is sending to the same SMTP server, but I keep getting the message "Notification email could not be sent" - leading me to believe that the problem lies in either Dokuwiki or PHP.
harv #4
What OS is your server?  I'm running IIS 6 on Win2K3 with php 5.1.1

Below is a snippet from my php.ini

[mail function]
; For Win32 only.
SMTP = server.domain.com
smtp_port = 25

; For Win32 only.
; commented out as the wiki settings provide this value.
;sendmail_from = wiki@domain.com

Below is a snippet from my local.php

$conf['mailfrom'] = 'wiki@domain.com';

NOTE:  The php.ini sendmail_from is commented out.

I'm not sure if you tried this, but you can create a simple php page to validate all of your php variables.  I call mine php_info.php Validate your SMTP variable is getting picked up.

<html>
<head>
<title> PHP Information </title>
</head>
<body>
<?php
phpinfo( );
?>
</body>
</html>

You could also backup your old server's Dokuwiki install and copy your new one to it.  If it works, it's a server/php issue.  If it doesn't it's a Dokuwiki configuration issue.  This might help narrow your troubleshooting down.

Good luck!
This post was edited on 2007-07-06, 17:00 by harv.
jamesvan #5
Thanks Harv.  That helped.  I ran the php_info page and it's showing that the configuration is being read from c:/Program Files/PHP/php.ini.  Inside the file, SMTP is set to our email server, but in the report page it says 'localhost'.  Why the discrepancy? Hmmm.
harv #6
If you are using IIS and updated the php.ini or overwrote the existing one you need to restart the IIS service.  Every change to php.ini requires an IIS restart to read the file in.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2020-01-18, 13:16:49 (UTC +01:00)