Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: Community Newsletter Feedback RSS
Updated newsletter?
dibbd #1
Member since Feb 2014 · 2 posts · Location: Fayetteville, NC
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Updated newsletter?
Are you guys still doing a newsletter?  I just joined and started using DokuWiki, would love that.

What I'd also LOVE is some more current video tutorials / examples, all the ones I've found (maybe I'm missing them?) are from around 2009 or something with what looks like a much older version of DokuWiki.

Would love a "start to finish" tutorial showing from initial install to a finished wiki (a small one of course), that would be great.  Maybe if I get the hang of this nicely I'll do one myself, but if anyone else has already done it I'd love to see it.
andi (Administrator) #2
User title: splitbrain
Member since May 2006 · 3358 posts · Location: Berlin Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Quote by dibbd:
Are you guys still doing a newsletter?  I just joined and started using DokuWiki, would love that.

Yes we do but very sporadic. Read the last newsletter for reasons.

Quote by dibbd:
What I'd also LOVE is some more current video tutorials / examples, all the ones I've found (maybe I'm missing them?) are from around 2009 or something with what looks like a much older version of DokuWiki.

The two I did should still work for you. It looks a bit different but the basics are still the same.
Read this if you don't get any useful answers.
Lies dies wenn du keine hilfreichen Antworten bekommst.
ach (Administrator) #3
Member since May 2006 · 1904 posts · Location: Folkestone, UK
Group memberships: Administrators, Members, Super Mods, Wiki Managers
Quote by andi on 2014-02-18, 14:53:
Quote by dibbd:

Yes we do but very sporadic. Read the last newsletter for reasons.

I looked at the last two and couldn't find the reason. What were you referring to?

The reason I know of is that the main person who was responsible for the newsletter (Håkan) has more or less left the DokuWiki team and unfortunately no-one else stepped up to that role yet.

Quote by andi on 2014-02-18, 14:53:
Quote by dibbd:

The two I did should still work for you. It looks a bit different but the basics are still the same.

I disagree and agree with dibbd here. From a user's perspective tutorials for old DokuWiki versions look as if they are for a different product! Most users would not understand that it's technically the same and would be confused by the different looks.
Ideally screencasts should be re-newed at least every two years or so.
andi (Administrator) #4
User title: splitbrain
Member since May 2006 · 3358 posts · Location: Berlin Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Quote by ach:
I looked at the last two and couldn't find the reason. What were you referring to?

The reason I know of is that the main person who was responsible for the newsletter (Håkan) has more or less left the DokuWiki team and unfortunately no-one else stepped up to that role yet.

Uhm... yes. Exactly what I wrot in the last newsletter:

Quote by last Newsletter:
So why the long delay? Unfortunately our previous “Chief Editor” Håkan Sandell has no time for the newsletter anymore and there is simply no one to step in. Until someone volunteers to take over theNewsletter Team, mails like this will continue to be rare.

Quote by ach:
I disagree and agree with dibbd here. From a user's perspective tutorials for old DokuWiki versions look as if they are for a different product! Most users would not understand that it's technically the same and would be confused by the different looks.
Ideally screencasts should be re-newed at least every two years or so.

*shrugs* you're more than welcome to do new ones - feel free to copy the topics I used.
Read this if you don't get any useful answers.
Lies dies wenn du keine hilfreichen Antworten bekommst.
ach (Administrator) #5
Member since May 2006 · 1904 posts · Location: Folkestone, UK
Group memberships: Administrators, Members, Super Mods, Wiki Managers
Quote by andi:
Quote by ach:

Uhm... yes. Exactly what I wrot in the last newsletter:

Ah, I see it now. Sorry, I must have missed it.

So why the long delay? Unfortunately our previous “Chief Editor” Håkan Sandell has no time for the newsletter anymore and there is simply no one to step in. Until someone volunteers to take over theNewsletter Team, mails like this will continue to be rare.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2018-12-14, 04:58:36 (UTC +01:00)