Improve documentation of pagenames page
proposal with rewrite version
s.sahara #1
Member since Feb 2012 · 55 posts · Location: Makuhari, Chiba, Japan
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Improve documentation of pagenames page
Hello,

I am trying to improve the Japanese documentation of the page names, therefore I want to get more clear understand on the term.
Here is a excerpt from the first sentence of the first paragraph of the page:
Page Names
Page names in DokuWiki are converted to lowercase automatically.

IMO, it does not explain how does pagenames used for what. It is explained that pagenames are "converted to lowercase" without explaining "from what". Here I would link to show an example for rewriting the original english:

Pagenames are used to identify each [[page]] in the [[namespace]] of your [[DokuWiki]] installation. The name of a specific page (pagename) is to be defined when the page created by converting automatically the text enclosed in square brackets ( %%[[pagename]]%% ) to [[page#create_a_page|create the page]].

It is appreciated if you could clarify the term better and modify the description of the www.dokuwiki.org.

Thanks.
Klap-in #2
Member since Nov 2009 · 239 posts · Location: Alkmaar, The Netherlands
Group memberships: Documentation Team, Members
Example of the conversion done by DokuWiki:

- for a latin font: PageName becomes pagename
- I have no idea how other non-latin fonts work. Does Japanse need more caution when explaining this idea?

This is performed everywhere DokuWiki cleans the pagename before using. So thererfore the quite general statement.
s.sahara #3
Member since Feb 2012 · 55 posts · Location: Makuhari, Chiba, Japan
Group memberships: Members
Hi, Krap-in. Thanks for your comment.

Suppose to create a Japanese named page using link syntax;  
  The translation of the term "[[en:Pagename]]" is "[[ページ名]]".
The page looks like:   The translation of the term "Pagename" is "ページ名".

The URLs of first and second link are (snipped):
  • id=en:pagename (converted to lowercase)
  • id=%E3%83%9A%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8%E5%90%8D

Even modern browsers show auto-decoded URL in the address bar for Japanese users, the encoded Japanese URL is lengthy and not informative at all. Instead, we often give an id in English and treat the original pagename as link title.
  The translation of the term "[[en:Pagename]]" is "[[pagename|ページ名]]".

I think this is a kind of good practices for using DokuWiki and also reflected in localized manual pages at www.dokuwiki.org site. We may get some observation from above example :
  • The lowercase conversion has less meaning especially for non-latin language named pages. It may not helpful for such non-latin users to explain first about lowercase conversion issue in the “Page names” manual page.
  • It seems that a description of term “id”, which consists of namespace and pagename, is required in somewhere in user manual.

Best regards.
Klap-in #4
Member since Nov 2009 · 239 posts · Location: Alkmaar, The Netherlands
Group memberships: Documentation Team, Members
Because i don't really understand you issues, i did a small experiment:
https://www.dokuwiki.org/playground:%E3%83%9A%E3%83%BC%E3%…

Ah, just copy-pasting uses already urlencoding...
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2019-12-07, 14:41:50 (UTC +01:00)