Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: General Help and Support Features and Functionality RSS
mouse over tool tips?
scotter #1
Member since Aug 2007 · 3 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: mouse over tool tips?
so, i gotta say, dokuwiki is just rad - very functional easy to work with.  we've recently implemented it in our office to create help files for our software app and it's perfect for the job.

what i want to know is, how can we incorporate the mouse over tool tips for for words in the same way the DW does it for links?  (please see attached image)

[Image: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1234/1130576205_7db4246de3_o.jpg]

i'd like a tool tip to pop-up, showing a short definition, when a user hovers the cursor over a word on the page. 

one work around i came up with is to use the link function, without actually linking to a page:

[[one of the primary colors|red]]

however, if the user clicks the link, thinking it's a page, it takes them to an empty page.  i would prefer if the 'link' was able to display the word's definition and take them to a glossary page on the wiki.

any ideas, suggestions, or plugins i'm not aware of?

tia!
ach (Administrator) #2
Member since May 2006 · 1944 posts · Location: Folkestone, UK
Group memberships: Administrators, Members, Super Mods, Wiki Managers
What about footnotes (http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:syntax#footnotes)?
They should even suit your purpose better, as eg. those javascript tool tips allow more formatting inside of them.
esther #3
User title: Esther Brunner
Member since May 2006 · 60 posts · Location: Winterthur, Switzerland
There's another built in way to generate tooltip mouseovers: Acronyms. For example, write HTML on a wiki page. To add your own acronyms and their explanation, edit conf/acronym.conf or even better conf/acronym.local.conf.

A plugin solution would be my recently released changemarks plugin, see:
http://www.wikidesign.ch/en/plugin/changemarks/start

You can for example use
!!a primary color>red!!
to explain "red" with a tooltip. Adjust the style.css in the plugin to meet your visual requirements.
scotter #4
Member since Aug 2007 · 3 posts
awesome!  thanks for the tips.  i think we'll make use of both of these options - very cool!

thanks for the help!
ygirod #5
User title: Computer trainer
Member since Jun 2007 · 2 posts · Location: Geneva
In reply to post #3
Subject: Tooltip in a hyperlink syntax
And what's the syntax to insert a "tooltip" (title tag) in a hyperlink (a tag) ?

Thx
ach (Administrator) #6
Member since May 2006 · 1944 posts · Location: Folkestone, UK
Group memberships: Administrators, Members, Super Mods, Wiki Managers
And what's the syntax to insert a "tooltip" (title tag) in a hyperlink (a tag) ?

There is none. (Unless there is a plugin I don't know of ...)
The title attribute will automatically be the target (page id for internal links, URL for external links).
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2019-11-12, 06:01:26 (UTC +01:00)