Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: General Help and Support General Stuff RSS
New User - can I set up multiple wikis
PowerHouse #1
Member since Dec 2014 · 1 post · Location: Atlanta
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: New User - can I set up multiple wikis
I just set up Doku Wiki today. I own a Residential Property Management Company and want to create multiple handbooks for different users, ie
1) I want to create a Tenant Handbook to allow my tenants to review procedures, how to pay rent, how to care for the property, etc but NOT allow them to edit or change anything  

2) I want to create an Owner Handbook explaining to my owners their resposnbilities but NOT allow them to edit or change anything  

3) I want to create a Vendor Handbook to allow my vendors to review my procedures, but NOT allow them to edit or change anything

Can I create multiple wikis that are not connected to each other?

Can I restrict editing so each wiki is review only? My company users would be allowed to edit

thanks in advance for your help
Urfaust #2
Member since Aug 2010 · 27 posts
You don't need multiple wikis. Just create different namespaces and user groups. Then you can restrict access to your liking. The key to this are ACLs.
rrandall #3
Member since Apr 2010 · 29 posts · Location: Denver. Colorado USA
In reply to post #1
Yes. You can create multiple installations of DokuWiki on one Web Server. I have several on my web server... primarily for testing purposes. HOWEVER, I also have my business DokuWiki AND a completely separate personal DokuWiki for my genealogy research. Each uses a different template and has a completely different purpose.

All you have to do is create a different folder on your web server... copy DW to it... and then install that instance of DW in that folder. The security that you're asking about is described in the ACL. All three of the Wikis that you're describing can be completely separate.
Richard C. Randall
rrandall@richardrandall.com
ach (Administrator) #4
Member since May 2006 · 1958 posts · Location: Folkestone, UK
Group memberships: Administrators, Members, Super Mods, Wiki Managers
Quote by rrandall on 2015-02-26, 01:54:
All you have to do is create a different folder on your web server... copy DW to it... and then install that instance of DW in that folder.

In such cases you'd be better off with a farm, i.e. one DokuWiki installation would drive multiple wikis (with completely different sets of configuration, ACL, users, templates, plugins, etc).

Although I agree with Urfaust that namespaces sound like a better solution to the OP's question.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2020-04-02, 21:55:47 (UTC +02:00)