Forum: General Help and Support Templates and Layout Template Wishlist RSS
Help me choose a new, modern template
Page:  1  2  next 
ach (Administrator) #1
Member since May 2006 · 1910 posts · Location: Folkestone, UK
Group memberships: Administrators, Members, Super Mods, Wiki Managers
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Help me choose a new, modern template
Because of the lack of good, modern DokuWiki templates, I plan to convert an existing free template to a DokuWiki template during the Hackfest [https://www.dokuwiki.org/devel:hackfest:2015-paris]. (And maybe I will write a tutorial how to do that while doing it.)

Can you help me choose a template?

I have created a Trello board for this and already chose a few templates:
https://trello.com/b/jhoeLAoD/potential-dokuwiki-templates
(If you don't have a Trello account, I would highly recommend getting one even outside of this project. I freaking LOVE Trello!)

Please read the rules in the left column first.
I plan to do this in the following steps:

1. Gather ideas for templates and discuss them (now)
2. Vote on templates (from 22 March on)
3. Check code quality of a couple of winners from that vote
4. Let the forum vote on the final three

Please note that the templates must be GPL2-compatible. That means that most free template collections will unfortunately not work! (E.g. templates from templated.co, opendesigns.org and csstemplatesfree.org etc are *not* compatible.) A good choice are WordPress templates because WordPress itself is GPL2, therefore all of its templates (even the commercial ones) are GPL2-compatible.

Every non-member of that Trello board can comment and (later) vote. If you'd like to be a member to be able to add new templates, change descriptions, add screenshots, etc, please let me know your Trello username via email or mailinglist or forum post or forum PM.
If you don't want to be a member but would still like to have a template listed, you can leave a comment on the top-most card under "Suggestions" called "Non-members can suggest templates on this card".
sancaya #2
Member since Aug 2013 · 37 posts · Location: Vnukovo
Group memberships: Members
IMHO your current default DokuWiki template is very beautiful, and I wouldn't change it to anything other.
Only some details improvements might be good:
- rounded corners,
- graphical curvy lines made with background images,
- icon sets for action links,
- full-screen editing mode,
- drawer box modules for login, sidebar etc.,
- more customizations, e.g. "module positions" like in Joomla templates which could be used for IndexNav, TOC, custom sidebar menus, plugins output, pictures etc.
That would make really almost universal system.
ach (Administrator) #3
Ah, sorry, that's a misunderstanding. We don't plan to change the default template and we are already quite happy with it.
What I plan is to create a completely new template separate from the core. So, one among the many on https://www.dokuwiki.org/template but more modern and professional.
sancaya #4
Member since Aug 2013 · 37 posts · Location: Vnukovo
I understand what you mean. It's OK. I just said that the same template could be improved very greatly, becoming something much over heads of those "modern" templates which look coarse and primitive (to my taste, maybe not very coinciding with yours :)).
Tho ofc it's cool to do something fresh...
Digitalin #5
Member since Feb 2014 · 207 posts · Location: Uzès - France
Hi,

I don't know about the future features of Dokuwiki but it would be great to make it simple and easier to manage templates without having a php and css habilities.  I tried Yeswiki once and it seems to me very afordable for this, and could be a nice horizon for Dokuwiki. Just an idea.

Anyway, it's a great new that this topic comes up. Even if the Dokuwiki template is really nice, I have tried and adopted for a private wiki the Doogie's Blue by Anita Henke. It's nice and easy to manage  a menu bar. Having a tutorial for improving a template would be useful.

I'm folloying your link to trello to see what beautiful templates folks are choosing :)
ach (Administrator) #6
Quote by Digitalin on 2015-03-17, 15:01:
it would be great to make it simple and easier to manage templates without having a php and css habilities.

Not as powerful as it could be but many templates support the style.ini file which allows you to adjust colours, fonts and certain widths, etc. Unfortunately it's not very user-friendly and is missing a UI.
I would love to make use of that in a better way so users can make changes more easily.
ach (Administrator) #7
The voting on the Trello board is now enabled (for 2 weeks).

Before you vote, please remember to not just look at the screenshot but to click through to the demo. The best equivalent to a DokuWiki implementation would usually be a content page and not the front page. The "Elements" page is a good example to check out.
ach (Administrator) #8
Voting has now been disabled again.
24 people voted on the 19 templates. There are two clear favourites with 10 votes each (Simpliste and Spacious) and a follow-up with 6 votes (Writr). There are only 2 templates no-one has voted on, the rest was voted for between 1 and 4 times.

I have moved 7 templates further into the code check phase, i.e. every template with 4 or more votes.
I will check their code quality over the next few weeks (no deadline, except obviously shortly before the Hackfest, but I will try doing it within the next 2 weeks). I am happy enough doing that on my own (as I will be the one converting them) but please feel free to look at the code yourselves and leave comments on each card or wait for my first verdict on each and reply if you agree or disagree.
ach (Administrator) #9
The three finalists are here. Go over to the other thread and vote for your favourite!
vicwik #10
Member since Apr 2014 · 5 posts · Location: NL
Subject: My April discovery: Bootstrap3
Recently I found the Bootstrap3 Dokuwiki template, which has many different theme options (with bootswatch and html hooks).
Purely as a user I think this is wonderful. It gives dokuwiki a nicer and more modern look.
It has options in the config section many templates don't have: I like the (inverse) topbar-menu option .

One downside is that the administration config manager is not readable in some theme variations.
I also found that images placed in a row went into a pile, and tables are always 100% wide.But as a whole it's great.
With this kind of template-contributors (also e.g. 20cones) designing Dokuwi into the next decade won't be a problem.
https://www.dokuwiki.org/template:bootstrap3
Digitalin #11
Hello,

Is there some fresh meat since Hackfest about this topic and Templatestyler ? And with the bootstrap3 template that comes up from lotar, perhaps some coordination would give to the community a "design team" ?
I have already visit the Hackfest and devel:ideas,..., pages and follow the mailing list but still feel hungry of fresh creative news :)

EDIT : I have just tried the Bootstrap3 template. Awesome, brillant, easy to manage :)
This was the fresh meat :D (about this topic). Thanks to lotar and I hope this can contribute to a new era of Dokuwikiers.
Buena onda !
This post was edited on 2015-06-09, 15:05 by Digitalin.
ach (Administrator) #12
Quote by Digitalin on 2015-06-09, 12:41:
Is there some fresh meat since Hackfest about this topic and Templatestyler ?

The Writr template is nearly finished, I only need one more weekend.
The template styler was started at the Hackfest and is looking really good, it only needs to be polished and tested. But I very much hope it will be in the next DokuWiki release.

perhaps some coordination would give to the community a "design team" ?

Sadly, we don't have any designers at all and only very few front-end developers (I am the only one in the core team). In theory, having something like a template team would be great, but we just don't have enough people for that.

I have just tried the Bootstrap3 template. Awesome, brillant, easy to manage :)

I am not a fan of Bootstrap, but the Bootstrap3 template seems the only one of all the other Bootstrap templates which is more than just a hack and does things "the DokuWiki way".
Digitalin #13
So, nice news are coming soon
I have installed a local Dokuwiki-styler to try templatestyler : efficient, simple and it will be a nice piece in the new release.

I am like a kid the Christmas day, waiting for the Writr template you are working on :)
I really hope others people would join the template team. A lot of fun to feel the hive, challenging ideas. And who knows, the Dokuwiki community could set an example, providing a new modern template for dokuwiki.org.

I am not a fan of Bootstrap, but the Bootstrap3 template seems the only one of all the other Bootstrap templates which is more than just a hack and does things "the DokuWiki way".
Do you consider the Bootstrap3 as an interesting pattern, a useful technical frame ?
ach (Administrator) #14
Quote by Digitalin on 2015-06-10, 14:21:
I am like a kid the Christmas day, waiting for the Writr template you are working on :)

It is finally ready: https://www.dokuwiki.org/template:writr
(And alongside it a tutorial on how to convert a WordPress theme to a DokuWiki template: https://www.dokuwiki.org/devel:wp_to_dw_template)

Quote by Digitalin on 2015-06-10, 14:21:
Do you consider the Bootstrap3 as an interesting pattern, a useful technical frame ?

I don't know, I haven't properly looked at it yet. I will probably do that soon-ish.
Digitalin #15
Great :)
Just some questions about Writr, when you open the media manager, it takes the whole screen and recover the tools. So, there is no more button to close it. With a content_width to 869px in the style.ini, it seems the maxi to keep the content visible, if I am not wrong.
Is is possible to change the font and/or font size of the tools list /side bar ? in order to have something finer.

I am reading you long and valuable tutorial about "how to convert a WordPress theme to a Dokuwiki template. Need to re-read multiple times and try, but seems really more affordable to dare :)
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Page:  1  2  next 
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2019-05-26, 17:34:21 (UTC +02:00)