Forum: General Help and Support Features and Functionality RSS
Manually announced RSS feed?
claestw #1
Member since Sep 2007 · 11 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Manually announced RSS feed?
Hi all

I'm using DokuWiki for a personal site, updates are infrequent but often with multiple change and save actions to the same page as I work on it. The current RSS feeds will bother subscribers more than it will help. I also use the Sidebar plugin, and don't want changes to my sidebar to appear in the feed.

Is there a way to control exactly what goes into the feed? I was thinking of something along the lines of an interface that would let me put in short messages like "New page this and this was finished" or "I've just done much more on that and that page", and the feed gets updated with all the date and time stuff. Just an announcement kind of thing, similar to what one would see in a "News" section of websites back in the old HTML3 and Netscape days.

Diffs are out as there are spoiler material, too.

Or perhaps would it be best to find some script that will do this independently of DokuWiki and point my template feed to it?
chi #2
Member since Jun 2006 · 1851 posts · Location: Munich Germany
Group memberships: Members, Super Mods, Wiki Managers
Hi,

there`re several possibilities to control what goes into your feed and what not.

For your sidebar there`s the hiddenpages option [1]. It takes a regular expression. Every page which matches it wont show up in the RSS feed, recent changes, search result and the index.

The rss feed also offers an option to exclude minor edits see the docs [2] for further details. You could leave the minor edits box unticked if you`re sure you`re finished the page so that it goes to the feed.

HTH

[1] http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:config#hidepages
[2] http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:syndication
Please add [SOLVED] to the initial thread subject if you feel your question has been answered.
If my answer doesn't make sense maybe your question didn't either - just visit http://facepalm.org.
claestw #3
Thank you very much!

I've put in "sidebar" into the hidepages option and hope I'll never have a page with that word in. (Maybe something like ":sidebar$" is the proper way to do it? I'll have to play with it some time.) But the "minor" option seems to be an url option? Can't find it in the configuration pages, so I inserted $conf['minor']=1 into my local.php and hoped. I'll wait and see what happens next time I update. :D
chi #4
The following should work:

^.*?sidebar.*?$

Quote by claestw:
But the "minor" option seems to be an url option? Can't find it in the configuration pages, so I inserted $conf['minor']=1 into my local.php and hoped. I'll wait and see what happens next time I update. :D

That wont work, it`s indeed a URL option described at [2] mentioned above.
Please add [SOLVED] to the initial thread subject if you feel your question has been answered.
If my answer doesn't make sense maybe your question didn't either - just visit http://facepalm.org.
claestw #5
Thanks for the regex---but wouldn't that match everything with "sidebar" in it? The sidebar page will always have the exact name "sidebar", so to filter it out, shouldn't we match for page IDs that matches exactly "sidebar", no more and no less, in whatever namespace it belongs to?

I checked my feed after an update, and it seems that the default install (2007-06-26) already ignores minor updates in the feed. I'm making a habit of always ticking the minor update box now.
chi #6
Quote by claestw:
but wouldn't that match everything with "sidebar" in it? The sidebar page will always have the exact name "sidebar", so to filter it out, shouldn't we match for page IDs that matches exactly "sidebar", no more and no less, in whatever namespace it belongs to?

Yes that would match everything with sidebar in it? Like namespace1:sidebar oder namespace:nestednamespace:sidebar. However, it`s not completely accurate, this one would be better:

^.*?sidebar$
claestw #7
Ah, thanks. I was thinking along the lines of

^.*?:sidebar$

So that something like ns1:ns2:how_i_do_my_sidebar is still treated (appropriately) as a normal page and gets to go into the feed.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2019-10-15, 16:00:32 (UTC +02:00)