Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: General Help and Support Syntax and Usage RSS
[SOLVED] Quoting from a book
claestw #1
Member since Sep 2007 · 11 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: [SOLVED] Quoting from a book
Is there a syntax for me to represent something quoted from a book? It may be multiple paragraphs. Something like quoting, say, two paragraphs from a news article. Something that will indent the two paragraphs, and perhaps put one box that goes around the both of them. Also still being able to apply things like text-indent properties to the quoted paragraphs.

Using the ">" looks fine for discussions, but becomes awkward when quoting multiple paragraphs, as there are no P tags in these, only BRs.
This post was edited on 2007-10-06, 06:44 by claestw.
andi (Administrator) #2
User title: splitbrain
Member since May 2006 · 3484 posts · Location: Berlin Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
There is no standard sysntax, but using a plugin like the div plugin should help.
Read this if you don't get any useful answers.
Lies dies wenn du keine hilfreichen Antworten bekommst.
claestw #3
Hmmm. But that would make the page "incorrect" semantically, wouldn't it?

Is it going to be difficult to add something like this to the system? Some way of allowing me to just mark off an arbitrary section of content to be put into BLOCKQUOTE tags, while still having the enclosed content formatted by the DokuWiki engine to add the P tags and the usual text formatting and so on.

Was it an explicit design decision to leave out quotes and blockquotes? I am really surprised about this.
Wolfgang_F. #4
Member since Jul 2007 · 24 posts
You are right it is an abuse of the BLOCKQUOTE tag using it for discussions. I changed the formatting of this tag in tpl/monobook/dokuwiki/doku.css (I'm using the monobook-template) to

blockquote {
  line-height: 1.5em;
  font-size: 94%;
  margin-top: 0.2em;
  margin-left: 3.5em;
  margin-right: 3.5em;
  margin-bottom: 0.5em;
}

That way blockquotes in my wiki (about a german author) look fine to me. But as you said: no way to use paragraphs.

Have a look at http://wiki.splitbrain.org/plugin:div_span_shorthand - I recently posted my modification of div_shorthand there (end of the page). You may create a class called "blockquote" (perhaps better to use another name for it) and use this syntax

#blockquote[your text

with a paragraph above]#

That will produce this HTML-Code:
<div class="blockquote"><p>your text</p><p>with a paragraph above</p></div>

The class "blockquote" should be defined in your css-file like that:

.blockquote {
  line-height: 1.5em;
  font-size: 94%;
  margin-top: 0.2em;
  margin-left: 3.5em;
  margin-right: 3.5em;
  margin-bottom: 0.5em;
}

I use for example a class "poem" to display poems properly.

Wolfgang
claestw #5
Ah, thanks for mentioning the modification. I wonder why I didn't look into it...maybe it was the "ain't" problem in the source code comments that stopped me thinking.

Thanks andi and Wolfgang. Now I can drool over my pretty quote boxes.  :-D
ach (Administrator) #6
Member since May 2006 · 1943 posts · Location: Folkestone, UK
Group memberships: Administrators, Members, Super Mods, Wiki Managers
In reply to post #4
Quote by Wolfgang_F. on 2007-09-24, 20:48:
You are right it is an abuse of the BLOCKQUOTE tag using it for discussions.

I don't think it is an abuse to use the blockquote tag for discussions. In discussions you quote the others before answering ... But I agree that it's a pity that DokuWiki has no standard way of using blockquote for other things as well.

That would be an abuse ... Or at least, it's not semantically correct.

I think, the best way would be a syntax plugin. Either the bbcode (http://wiki.splitbrain.org/plugin:bbcode) or a new plugin.
Wolfgang_F. #7
Member since Jul 2007 · 24 posts
Quote by ach:

That would be an abuse ... Or at least, it's not semantically correct.

I think, the best way would be a syntax plugin. Either the bbcode (http://wiki.splitbrain.org/plugin:bbcode) or a new plugin.

You are right with that - but it was the first possibility I thought of to get a "blockquote-like-element" - some days later I made a Blockquote-Plugin (see code on http://www.heine-wiki.de/Playground ) to have a better way to deal with blockquotes.

Concerning the "abuse" of blockquotes for discussions:
I don't think blockquote shold be used to show quotations from a discussion
BLOCKQUOTE is for long quotations (block-level content) and Q is intended for short quotations (inline content) that don't require paragraph breaks.
that's what w3.org tells about it. In printmedia and Sciences, for example Literature, Social Sciences etc. blockquotes are used to mark quotations, that extend three lines of text, whereas short quotations are printed inside the paragraph.

To handle a discussionstructure, in my opinion, a specialized list-Syntax would be the better way  ;-)

Wolfgang
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2019-10-16, 07:44:38 (UTC +02:00)