Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: General Help and Support Features and Functionality RSS
How many pages can be stored with DokuWikis flatfile system?
netzaaki #1
Member since Jul 2006 · 6 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: How many pages can be stored with DokuWikis flatfile system?
hey at all,

i need little help to decide if dokuWiki is a good choice for me. after testing several wikis i m not sure yet, which wiki is the best.  :-/
dokuwiki seems to be the most beautiful in the meaning of a customizable layout and a good plugin interface. the only thing is, that there is no DB support. so, how many pages can be stored (with unlimited revisions and so on)?  is it possible to add new fields to a page like a date and order them by this date (every page should have the date field, cause it would be a "historical" wiki)?

thx!!!
~ netzaaki

ps: SORRY for my bad english  :scared:
koko #2
Member since May 2006 · 161 posts · Location: Zonhoven Belgium
hi,

You can take a look at:

http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki%3Ausers
http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:experiences:scalability

These 2 pages can give you an idea on which scale you can put Dokuwiki. Ordering by date isn't a function i recognize. Maybe there is a plugin, but it is also possible you have to write it yourself.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
This post was edited on 2006-08-01, 01:32 by koko.
netzaaki #3
hey koko,

thx for your reply!
damn, dokuwiki is not a choice for me, cause I'd like to store more than 1000 pages...

7,733 documents (23.4MB), on single user system, searches > 5 minutes. On hosted server removed search facility and replaced with another. Even excluding 6632 documents (18.6MB) having huge problems with Web spiders such as Google, effectively creating a denial of service.

im feeling ugly and i have to begin my search again  :'(

greets
~ netzaaki
koko #4
Hi,

I have to make a remark on this page:
As you can see the last revision is from 2006-05-29 07:04 . Since then, there were many updates on performance. So maybe you can give it a try.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
andi (Administrator) #5
User title: splitbrain
Member since May 2006 · 3528 posts · Location: Berlin Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Especially the search was improved by using an index instead of doing an on-the-fly full text search. FYI: current stats of wiki.splitbrain.org:

• Pages: 893
  • Size: 6.8MB
Read this if you don't get any useful answers.
Lies dies wenn du keine hilfreichen Antworten bekommst.
netzaaki #6
dear koko, dear andi,

I guess the amount of pages will be about 400 - 500 per year. The project we would build the wiki for will approximately last for 5 years, maybe even more. It's necessary to store any revision. So, do you think we should use DokuWiki in that case? We are having hazzle with that choice. There doesn't seem to be any Wiki that exactly matching our wishes. Either there is no support or the last release is too old (e.g. erfurtwiki)

Greetings

netzaaki
koko #7
hi netzaaki,

I think Dokuwiki is a good choice. For the first 2 years, there won't be much troubles on performance. After this time, I guess the wiki will work better. (when you take the dev-version, you most of the time have the best performing wiki possible) On support point of view, we have a few channels you can use (mailinglist, forum and even IRC). These channels are good monitored, so a question will (most of the time) be answered very quick.

This is my opinion why Dokuwiki is a good choice.
netzaaki #8
thx for all your great support. at least because of that we decided to give dokuwiki a try!  :-p

there was a post that was deleted? I think it was from "chi"... as i checked the thread in the early afternoon the post was still there. he was giving a hint for including an analyzer...

nevertheless I'll be back again soon for further questions  :cool:

greets

~ netzaaki
koko #9
hi,

It's been moved and has its own thread (http://forum.dokuwiki.org/thread/141)
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2020-02-26, 15:27:27 (UTC +01:00)