Forum: General Help and Support Features and Functionality RSS
How to export entire wiki on a pdf
renato07 #1
Member since Feb 2016 · 15 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: How to export entire wiki on a pdf
Hi,
I'm wonderig if it is possible to export the entire contetnts of wiki, (all the level: section, sub section, sub-sub section...) on a .pdf file.
I've used DW2PDF plugin, but it export just the actual page, not all the pages..

Is there a way to do that?

TIA

Renato
MartinR #2
Member since Jul 2015 · 177 posts · Location: UK
I've never used it, but there is a bookcreator plugin that looks about right:
Allow to select some pages and create a book (PDF or text)
renato07 #3
Member since Feb 2016 · 15 posts
Ok, I've tried it, but what I've seen is that what the plugin does, is just to collect the pages added to the book, pass it to the Dw2pdf plugin and made a unique pdf.
But this is not a book, is just a collection of hard copy of screen.

Is there a way to obtain a different pdf?

I'm looking for something that export all in .pdf.
I know that it is possible, that how?

Renato
Klap-in #4
Member since Nov 2009 · 239 posts · Location: Alkmaar, The Netherlands
Group memberships: Documentation Team, Members
For exporting namespaces, and I think probably the whole wiki, you could use the url parameter: do=export_pdfns with the corresponding settings. See https://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:dw2pdf#document_title

This has no limit on the number of pages you could select at once per export like the Bookcreator is limited.

(Memory and performance could still be limiting for the size of the export)
magoSchmidt #5
Member since Nov 2017 · 1 post
You can append this to your URL to export entire wiki:

&do=export_pdfns&book_title=YourBookTitle
Luis Decker #6
Member since Feb 2018 · 1 post
In reply to post #1
Quote by renato07 on 2016-02-24, 10:48:
Hi,
I'm wonderig if it is possible to export the entire contetnts of wiki, (all the level: section, sub section, sub-sub section...) on a .pdf file.
I've used DW2PDF plugin, but it export just the actual page, not all the pages..

Is there a way to do that?

TIA

Renato

Hello. Did you tried to export files from the site, and then open them in PDF Form Filler free online?
turnermm (Moderator) #7
Member since Oct 2009 · 4781 posts · Location: Canada
Group memberships: Global Moderators, Members, Super Mods
you could use the epub plugin to create an ebook and then using Calibre (an ebook reader and editor) export it to pdf.
Myron Turner
github: https://github.com/turnermm
plugins, templates: http://www.mturner.org/devel
clmartin #8
Member since Mar 2018 · 9 posts
I've been trying to understand what the documentation means without success. I want to create a PDF of an entire Dokuwiki site. I've read but cannot understand this:

To create a link in any wiki page to export any namespace, you can use the following syntax: ~~PDFNS>namespace|pdftitle~~

namespace is the namespace you want to export
pdftitle is the title of the generated output PDF
You can add further options (like &book_order=pagename) by simply appending them to the pdftitle.
Handling of startpages: If the page <namespace>:start doesn't exist, it checks if the page with the name <namespace> exists and will add to the pdf as well.

Could some kind person explain HOW to "use the following syntax"? And how to determine what "namespace" needs to be? All my wiki pages are in the folder "pages", so is that the namespace?

Thanks to anyone taking pity on me.
Rothlye #9
Member since Aug 2016 · 11 posts
Make a page to hold your pdf links. I put mine under /wiki/ebook.

Here's an example to start with:

====== ebook ======

Click on this link to produce a .pdf of the "pages" namespace:

* ~~PDFNS>pages|pages~~
clmartin #10
Thanks for the reply. Would you mind sharing with me the exact wiki text to use to create the link? I've tried numerous things that have not worked. E.g.:

[[http://localhost/dokuwiki/doku.php/~~PDFNS>pages|pages]]

just opened the start page of the wiki in the web browser. Most of my other attempts have just resulted in a page-not-found error.

I'd be grateful for any guidance.
Aleksandr #11
Member since Mar 2010 · 574 posts · Location: Volgograd, Russia
In reply to post #8
Quote by clmartin:
And how to determine what "namespace" needs to be? All my wiki pages are in the folder "pages", so is that the namespace?

RFTM https://www.dokuwiki.org/namespaces
ru: Пожалуйста, избегайте избыточного цитирования.
en: Don’t use an overquoting, please.
clmartin #12
Quote by Aleksandr:
Quote by clmartin:
And how to determine what "namespace" needs to be? All my wiki pages are in the folder "pages", so is that the namespace?

RFTM https://www.dokuwiki.org/namespaces

That page of the documentation explains how to create namespaces, but does not answer the question of how to create the link that dw2pdf needs to create a PDF of the entire site. If you don't know the answer, that's no problem. I won't be sarcastic and insulting.
Aleksandr #13
Member since Mar 2010 · 574 posts · Location: Volgograd, Russia
I do.
ru: Пожалуйста, избегайте избыточного цитирования.
en: Don’t use an overquoting, please.
The author has attached one file to this post:
dw2pdf-syntax-example.png 19.4 kBytes
You have no permission to open this file.
pop (Moderator) #14
Member since Nov 2016 · 225 posts · Location: near Basel. Switzerland
Group memberships: Global Moderators, Members
In reply to post #12
Quote by clmartin:
That page of the documentation explains how to create namespaces, but does not answer the question of how to create the link that dw2pdf needs to create a PDF of the entire site. If you don't know the answer, that's no problem. I won't be sarcastic and insulting.

When you ask in a forum for support and someone answers with a link to reference material, he's not being unkind. He tries to be helpful.

Clearly, you don't understand namespaces and the naming of namespaces, and in order to use the particular plugin, you need to know about namespace names which most definitely are not links as you appear to believe.

Since you want to dump the entire contents of your wiki to a pdf document, the proper namespace name is "." (just a dot). However, you should be prepared for a longish waiting time, depending on the speed of your server. Also, you might fetch up with more pages than you expected.
clmartin #15
Thank you, Aleksandr and pop. Very helpful. It seems I was overcomplicating things. I interpreted the language in the documentation saying "To create a link in any wiki page to export any namespace, you can use ..." to mean that I use that syntax in a link, when it actually means as a link. So, instead of using this text,

~~PDFNS>.|wiki~~

which created the link I wanted, I was trying to insert the suggested syntax in a link:

[[~~PDFNS>.|wiki~~]]

which didn't work. With your help, it is now working. Thanks again.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2020-02-17, 07:33:49 (UTC +01:00)