Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: General Help and Support Features and Functionality RSS
Integrating a forum into the DokuWiki
eugene #1
Member since Aug 2006 · 42 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Integrating a forum into the DokuWiki
I am writing a site that is dedicated to materials engineering. It will contain a long list of articles, some blogs, lots of charts, a forum, a personal data for each engineer(including a picture), a news section, commercial advertisements, and other features.

I don't want to develop the site from scratch because I lack the time, I only want to write the basics so that my associate who has no knowledge of computers, will be able to write the rest.

So I have several questions.

1) Is DokuWiki the best way to go in this case? Will it support all the features that I want?
2) A forum is necessary, so that the engineers who will visit the site, would be able to discuss things with each other.
So how do I incorporate a forum into the DokuWiki? Or perhaps I can use the "discussions" feature?
This post was edited on 2006-08-07, 22:46 by eugene.
eugene #2
Maybe someone has some advice?
purplepaisley #3
Member since May 2006 · 142 posts · Location: UK
You may want to look at this, there are several integrations with forums and other software.

http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:tips

And plugins. http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:plugins.

In my opinion, yes dokuwiki could meet your requirements.
eugene #4
Thanks
BlackFog #5
Member since May 2006 · 95 posts
Yes, give DW a chance ;) but you could also take a look at some CMS here: http://www.opensourcecms.com/ . I liked e107 as an (for me) not so complecated CMS or Joombla! with the community builder extension (that I didnt get to work, but I din't tryed it hard). There are often good themes you could start with so you don't need building from scratch...

BlackFog

PS: If you like, you could take a look at my old german test side for a MMORPG guild homepage with e107. :D
This post was edited on 2006-08-11, 13:32 by BlackFog.
eugene #6
Ok, thank you guys.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2020-02-17, 07:13:12 (UTC +01:00)