Forum: Community dokuwiki.org RSS
Use case / HowTo / Example Solution section on Dokuwiki.org
dinsdale #1
Member since Oct 2016 · 47 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Use case / HowTo / Example Solution section on Dokuwiki.org
Hi,
I'm just getting the idea of a "HowTo" / UseCase Section, which shows a single problem / use case solution and which plugins / extension are used. E.g. the Bureaucracy Plugin is very complex, so it would be probably interesting for several user to see how a certain problem can be adressed. Other solutions rely on more than one plugin, so the plugin pages itself may not be the appropiate place for such "hands on" descriptions. I think it would also give the versatility of Dokuwiki a better visibility.

A basic structure could be:
1.) Solution Description
2.) Plugins needed / Configuration
3.) Example

If successful it could maybe become a kind of repository for certain solutions. This would be give a clearer view of the possibilities as rather as the multiple threads in the forum. Of it has to be mainly community driven.

One example could be "Generate Meeting protocols with bureaucracy & pagemod automatically"
Digitalin #2
Member since Feb 2014 · 191 posts
Hi,

I second this idea. HowTo by use case with exemples is a good way to shorten time learning but also to dare doing things, sometimes felt as "complicated" to achieve.
I also spent some hard time to learn how to use Struct and Bureaucracy and I still have to learn about and haven't yet tested PageMod ;-)

A guideline from beginner to advanced would be appreciable too. , keeping your example, to use Bureaucracy, you need to understand namespace templates.  But, you can use it with benefits before using Bureaucracy. It is an idea that comes when reading your post.

Have you already a list in mind ?
dinsdale #3
Have you already a list in mind ?

No, not really, just some vague ideas but I think the e.g. possibilities of automated/templated based page creation are very interesting for many people and are too complicated, to simply explain them on one plugin page. Some complexer plugins have documentation which is hosted on the plugin developer sites. There are also several solutions for automated document creation (PDF / ODT), which are getting quite complex if you want certain layout / formatting options.

I think it would be useful to consolidate this on Dokuwiki, so there is one section where one can find easily different solutions for some common problems.

But it should be well structurized, so I wouldn't simply start to add pages without having some feedback from the site maintainers.
Digitalin #4
Member since Feb 2014 · 191 posts
It could be interesting to use tips & tricks and faq namespaces to compare what you have in mind as topics as well as format (structurized doc)

For examples dedicated to one plugin or documentation hosted outside DokuWiki, imho most developers would be pleased to see their doc inside the plugin page and HowTo in the namespace plugin ( a separate page), and  in case of HowTo using multiple plugins, a link to a HowTo page..., some impressions waiting for feedback from the site maintainers.

I am doing some translation in French to keep up to date main topics (config,..) and have translated Struct, Bureaucracy and Pagemod 's documentation pages which was a way to learn how to use them.

there is already some topics :-)

namespace templates and Replacement patterns
contact form (mail)
form to populate pages
form to agregate infos in the same page  e.g. "Generate Meeting protocols with bureaucracy & pagemod automatically"
form to display infos on a map
Manage a database with Struct in DokuWiki
automated document creation (PDF / ODT)
andi (Administrator) #5
User title: splitbrain
Member since May 2006 · 3358 posts · Location: Berlin Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Have a look at the Use Cases column at https://www.dokuwiki.org/dokuwiki to get an idea what use cases could be interesting.

There's also https://www.dokuwiki.org/solutions and the solutions namespace where something like this has been started a while ago. Updates and additions are very welcome.
Read this if you don't get any useful answers.
Lies dies wenn du keine hilfreichen Antworten bekommst.
LarsDW223 #6
Member since Sep 2014 · 344 posts · Location: Paderborn
I think the solutions page is possibly a good anchor to link to details pages. In my opinion these should give a high level view on what  plugins can be used for a certain solution.

As a developer I would see some docmentation outside of DokuWiki. For example documentation about the ODT format itself or developer information for contributing to the ODT plugin. This kind of information is not meaningful for normal users and might become very large and blow everything up. Also, other tools are more suitable for a development documentation than DokuWiki (e.g. phpDoc).

Also, information about formatting was mentioned. I would place this on sub-pages/the namespace of the plugin because these often have a reference character and can also become quite large. And they are specific to the plugin, not to the solution (e.g. dw2pdf has other features/configuration options than the ODT plugin).

It will be a little challenge to find a good structure for all the different parts of the documentation. I guess there will be some re-structuring from time to time.

Regarding the ODT plugin:
Feedback on documentation is always welcome. The issue tracker can also be used to report missing documentation not just about software problems.

Kind Regards,
Lars
dinsdale #7
In reply to post #5
Hi Andi,

to be honest I've never seen this solutions page before when browsing on dokuwiki.org. I agree that this would be a good starting point to file and document Use Cases and "HowTo's" and stuff, which gets a little bit more in detail than a single plugin description. One idea would be a direct link to the solutions area from the sidebar under "Advanced Use". Is the forum login also valid in the wiki area when trying to add pages ?
andi (Administrator) #8
Quote by dinsdale:
One idea would be a direct link to the solutions area from the sidebar under "Advanced Use".

sure. once there's content worth linking to

Quote by dinsdale:
Is the forum login also valid in the wiki area when trying to add pages ?

yes
dinsdale #9
Thank's,

I hope I find some time adding some content. Is it possible to generate namespace templates ?
I would think of a basic document structure like:

1. Solution / Howto
2. Prerequisites / Plugins needed / External tools
3. Solution detail description
andi (Administrator) #10
start with a few pages, then we can add the emerging structure as namespace templates.
dinsdale #11
Ok,
I'll try as soon as possible when having some timeslot available, at least to have a starting point. I don't know whether it would make sense for some very common combinations like bureaucracy / pagemod to have a kind of playground / demo area showing the result, but that's not the main area to start of course. Of course this highly depends on the dokuwiki.org setup.
LarsDW223 #12
Member since Sep 2014 · 344 posts · Location: Paderborn
I started writing some infos on "Writing" with DokuWiki, see https://www.dokuwiki.org/solutions:writing.
Help and feedback is highly appreciated.
andi (Administrator) #13
Nice start, Lars! I added a section writing helpers.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2018-12-14, 22:52:47 (UTC +01:00)