Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: General Help and Support Server Setup RSS
How to find performance issues
og #1
Member since May 2006 · 396 posts · Location: Bayern
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: How to find performance issues
I'm facing performance issues in our local DokuWiki setup. Saving changes sometimes take over a minute. I can't reproduce it now. Most of the time everything is okay.
Is there a way to find out exactly where in dokuwiki the process stops and waits? It muss be some kind of delay somewhere. Some kind of profiling, like with websites?
Oli...
FosseWay #2
Member since May 2016 · 101 posts · Location: Canada
I've been wondering this too. Although my wiki isn't having trouble like you describe, I'd still like to make it faster.

I found this StackOverflow thread which seems to offer some good ideas on where to start. For me, that may mean using XDebug to profile the PHP performance of my wiki. I haven't tried yet, but as and when I do, I'll write up my experience here. It doesn't look like it's going to serve up ready answers, but it will offer a lot of performance metrics to sift through.
og #3
Member since May 2006 · 396 posts · Location: Bayern
Looks nice, thanks for pointing me there. I'll try to go through it also. Maybe we end up with a tutorial or even better, a build-in switchable performance metering.
Oli...
SFITCS #4
User title: Scott Ferguson
Member since Dec 2014 · 455 posts · Location: Canberra, Australia
In reply to post #1
Make sure it is a server issue :)
I've been caught before with a similar complaint - until I discovered that problem was a brain dead realtime backup policy applied to the webserver (even caches were being backed up) resulting in atrocious drive io.  ps and lsof are helpful.
LMS23 #5
Member since Feb 2014 · 130 posts · Location: Bayern, Deutschland
please check also if apache (or other webserver) logging is active and how big are the logfiles.

I had the problem that the logging was wrongly set in Apache and the logfile was over 500 MB in size, so everything on the webserver (only for dokuwiki) took a long time... after clear the logfile and config log rotation all is fine now :)

But there can be many causes:
- Memory
- CPU
- Filesystem (SSD is the best for this...)
- Network
- Configuration generall
FosseWay #6
Member since May 2016 · 101 posts · Location: Canada
Also, check to see if you have an antivirus or similar which is doing something it shouldn't. This is probably one of the first things you should try to eliminate, if it's relevant (Windows?)
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2017-09-20, 11:25:49 (UTC +02:00)