Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: General Help and Support General Stuff RSS
Approval and publishing in Dokuwiki
clh #1
Member since May 2016 · 79 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Approval and publishing in Dokuwiki
Dokuwiki is a terrific tool, and a team of three of us have developed a structure and format for a Wiki serving the IT developers and users of our in-house software. We began rolling out our IT Wiki to developers recently, and one of their most frequently asked questions was "is there a way to update a page while we're working on a maintenance project, but not publish it for everyone else to see until we release the project?"

I ran across https://www.dokuwiki.org/faq:approval in Dokuwiki's FAQ, which makes the case that DW is not intended for this purpose. Fair enough, but I have to wonder how this could not be a necessity in an evolving software environment. In our situation, there are plenty of people who want to know how the system presently works, not how it will work after the release of project XYZ. Maybe we're trying to address too wide an audience?

On the bright side, it's impressive that the developers want to develop their documentation as they develop their code, rather than dashing it off hurriedly when the project is released.

I'd be interested in hearing other people's experience with this.
LarsDW223 #2
Member since Sep 2014 · 170 posts
And what about the publish plugin mentioned on the approval page? Does that help?
clh #3
Unfortunately, it doesn't really help (see https://forum.dokuwiki.org/thread/14939). It doesn't default to showing the published version. If I understood your suggestion in that thread, establishing a separate authors group would present the 'draft' version of everything that's currently in draft (unapproved) mode to authors, and the 'published' versions to non-authors. Everyone is potentially both an author and a consumer, and will generally want to see the published version of everything except draft he or she is working on.

If I understand groups correctly, a user cannot be assigned to two groups (say writers and readers) and choose which group he wants to belong to at login. If he could, we might say that as a reader you do not get to see drafts, and as a writer you do get to see (all) drafts, which would solve the problem. However, I don't think it's possible to pick a group at login. The only other thing I thought of was to have everyone have two user ids - charrison and charrison_writer - but our System Admins rejected that.
LarsDW223 #4
Member since Sep 2014 · 170 posts
Did you try to place a feature request at the publish plugin? Maybe something like a configuration option like "only show drafts to contributors of a page". Not sure if it is likely to be implemented but without trying you won't know.

Maybe others have better ideas but I think the publish plugin is the closest match to your requirements.
clh #5
Thanks, that is a good statement of what I'd like. I'll put in a request.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2017-11-22, 06:41:27 (UTC +01:00)