Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: General Help and Support Installation and Configuration RSS
The datadir ('pages') at ./data/pages is not found, isn't accessible or writable.
wmorgan #1
Member since Sep 2017 · 3 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: The datadir ('pages') at ./data/pages is not found, isn't accessible or writable.
First let me say that this is not an installation problem!

I've been running a docuwiki server for over 6 months from my home - I use it to store work-related notes. It has always worked fine - until this morning. While at work I had to edit a docuwiki page (something I do many times every day) - but when I clicked 'save' I got the error message mentioned in the title.

Nobody ever touches the server box (a Ubuntu server hidden in the spare room at home).

How can a working system suddenly stop working ?
wmorgan #2
Simply re-booting server fixed it! (but the search is broken)
This post was edited on 2017-09-28, 20:00 by wmorgan.
wmorgan #3
OK, fixed the broken search by manually running indexer.php

But I have now noticed that the edit toolbar is missing!!

That's it - I've had enough. I am giving up with dokuwiki. I need to have reliable access to my work notes. If a working wiki can break for no reason at all then it's no good to me. Dokuwiki might be good fun as a 'toy' wiki - but it's no good to someone like me who needs 24/7 access to their data - I need something I can rely on that won't suddenly break for no reason.
andi (Administrator) #4
User title: splitbrain
Member since May 2006 · 3471 posts · Location: Berlin Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Sorry you had a bad experience. All those symptoms are not normal and most likely not caused by DokuWiki itself but by something being erratic on your server/filesystem. I would highly recommend checking for any additional info in your server's error logs. You may risk severe data loss (regardless of which wiki you're using). Good luck.
Read this if you don't get any useful answers.
Lies dies wenn du keine hilfreichen Antworten bekommst.
Jeanphi #5
Member since Apr 2019 · 1 post
In reply to post #3
Hello,

Quote by wmorgan on 2017-09-29, 10:14:
But I have now noticed that the edit toolbar is missing!!

I have had the same problem (and error message), which was partially fixed with a server reboot. My wiki is back, but the edit mode is no longer visible. Any idea/suggestion?

Cheers,
JeanPhi.
FosseWay #6
Member since May 2016 · 118 posts · Location: Canada
Can't emphasize enough that what andi says above is correct. This behaviour is frustrating - I've seen it myself on a new installation - but it is not caused by DokuWiki itself, but by some issue with permissions between your webserver and the OS it sits on top of.

On Linux, check for SELinux denials.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2019-08-21, 07:10:28 (UTC +02:00)