engineering coop
sammax1212 #1
User title: sammax1212
Member for 2 weeks · 12 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Improving the Dokuwiki at my new Summer Coop From Canada
Hey Everyone,
I just started a summer coop and my task is to optimize the dokuwiki; currently we are using an old version of dokuwiki (8 years old I think). The original idea was to switch to a mediawiki but I am proposing updating and using plugins to get better search results and to make the entire wiki more user friendly.
I am quite new to coding but I'm a quick learner. I'll definitely be asking lots of questions on here.. Nice to meet you all!

SM
turnermm (Moderator) #2
Member since Oct 2009 · 4112 posts · Location: Canada
Group memberships: Global Moderators, Members, Super Mods
To upgrade from an old distribution, see https://www.dokuwiki.org/install:upgrade#upgrading_an_old_…

A more direct method is simply to install the latest distribution and copy over your data/pages and your data/media.  You can then install the searchindex plugin to rebuild your index.  Using this method you will lose your history.  I'm not sure what changes have been made over the last 8 years to the meta files.  But you might find that you can also copy your data/meta over to the new wiki, in which case you will have also saved your history.
Myron Turner
github: https://github.com/turnermm
plugins, templates: http://www.mturner.org/devel
sammax1212 #3
Hey thanks for the reply, I have updated the wiki im now just looking for a decent search plugin i think im going with the Sphinx Search plug in, If anyone knows anything about it or has a better suggestion it would be much appreciated:)
grosse #4
Member since Nov 2014 · 4 posts · Location: Berlin, Germany
Group memberships: Members, Wiki Managers
DokuWiki's search functionality has been significantly improved in the last DokuWiki release (Greebo). You may want to try this first, before switching to the Sphinx plugin. (The Sphinx plugin hasn't been upgraded since 2014, so it may not work out of the box.)

That being said: Yay for joining the developer community
sammax1212 #5
thanks man! this is my first coop doing coding or optimizing the wiki. Essentially my boss wants me to make it easier for our design team to locate stuff in the wiki.. That being said I am currently trying to get the IT dude to add a keywords plugin to our current wiki, I think that could help the team find important info quicker! If they only need to search the "Engineering & Design" portion of the wiki could I place all of the namespaces involving "Engineering & Design" into one namespace called; lets say "EnD"? Do you think that would increase search relevance?

This community is great; my boss originally wanted me to change it to a mediawiki but I think dokuwiki is the WTG!:)
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2018-06-21, 12:02:47 (UTC +02:00)