Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: General Help and Support Server Setup RSS
first time wiki
mringer #1
Member for 2 months · 2 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: first time wiki
Setting up a wiki for the company I work for.  We all work remotely and it has been decided that the dropbox doesn't work the way some people want it to work, so we need a Wiki.

I am thinking to say money i should just set it up from home with a DNS service.  The question I have is pretty simple, but I wanted to ask before I told everyone we can do it this way.  

Was thinking just get an old PC, Stick a lot of storage in it and run it with apache and php and dokuwiki.   I am thinking this should work.   I have fairly decent internet (300 down and 35 up) so it shouldn't be too much of a drag on my internet (we have 6 people that would access it)  thoughts?

thanks!
Michaelsy #2
Member since Jun 2015 · 569 posts · Location: Düsseldorf, Germany
I am thinking to say money

Did you want to write: I am thinking to save money... ?
What you have in mind is certainly feasible. But it is not the cheapest version. The power consumption (24h x 365 days) of an old PC is more expensive (200%?) than a small hosting package (and you will not need more) of a provider. And the provider certainly offers higher availability than a single PC at your home.

Just my 2 cents - Michael Sy.
By Patreon.com a few eurons can be fed into the code phasers of
the DokuWiki engine. Besides, Andi's posts are worth reading.
mringer #3
Member for 2 months · 2 posts
yes, I meant save money. I am a horrible proofreader.  Considering that I already have two pc's and top laptops that run 24 7x365 adding a 2nd small desktop system i don't think is going to be that big of a drain.  Plus I have a feeling they (as in my coworkers) are going to want to attach PDF's and other files to the system as well, and I already know from experience that storage is not cheap.  I have reached out to a hosting company or two to see what they are going to charge.  Currently waiting for responses.
Michaelsy #4
Member since Jun 2015 · 569 posts · Location: Düsseldorf, Germany
I think a Raspberry Pi / Banana Pi or something like that is a good alternative to an old PC.

Power Consumption at idle: 1.39 W  (measured real)

Reference: https://forum.dokuwiki.org/post/62766
By Patreon.com a few eurons can be fed into the code phasers of
the DokuWiki engine. Besides, Andi's posts are worth reading.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2018-12-16, 14:44:40 (UTC +01:00)