Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: General Help and Support General Stuff RSS
Media Upload Fails -- is a manual workaround possible? (Greebo)
Large file upload is failing - used to work. If I upload using sftp, can I manually create metadata?
justjed #1
Member since Jan 2017 · 8 posts · Location: DM79MO
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Media Upload Fails -- is a manual workaround possible? (Greebo)
I'm running Release 2018-04-22a "Greebo". Probably, the version doesn't matter. I've previously uploaded files in media manager up to 20MB. Now, I'm trying to upload a 13MB file, and it runs to about 64% and then fails with no error message in DokuWiki other than "Failed".

I've gone into cPanel and looked at the "Errors" display, and found none. I've downloaded the raw Apache logs and found the PUT request for the file, but there are no error messages there either. Nor am I out of disk space or other resources on the host.

I've found other discussions speaking to config options for size limits, but at the moment, I'm pretty unsure how I'd pursue that with GoDaddy, and their wait time in chat is 72 minutes. Ugh! 8-(

Since I have ssh access, I can upload the file in question using sftp. If I then manually create the appropriate file in data/media_meta/{namespace}, is that a possible workaround? (Yes, I know, I will need to pursue a correction if possible at some point, but I need to get this done.)

If that'll work, can someone tell me what needs to be in the .changes file? Some columns are obvious, but the 1st column is a large integer, and I don't know what that is.

Thanks.

Update: I am able to upload the file using the File Manager function of cPanel. Maybe that's meaningless, but if there were a hard limit in the Apache config, wouldn't cPanel be affected as well?
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a yo-yo -- Enoch Root
This post was edited on 2018-10-11, 03:29 by justjed.
Michaelsy #2
Member since Jun 2015 · 460 posts · Location: Düsseldorf, Germany
Quote by justjed:
If that'll work, can someone tell me what needs to be in the .changes file? Some columns are obvious, but the 1st column is a large integer, and I don't know what that is.

I've often uploaded media files via FTP, but I've never cared about the changes information. As far as I know, .changes only provides the user with additional information. This means that this information is not relevant to the functionality of the system.

HTH - Michael Sy.
By Patreon.com a few eurons can be fed into the code phasers of
the DokuWiki engine. Besides, Andi's posts are worth reading.
This post was edited 2 times, last on 2018-10-11, 09:14 by Michaelsy.
justjed #3
Member since Jan 2017 · 8 posts · Location: DM79MO
Quote by Michaelsy:
I've often uploaded media files via FTP, but I've never cared about the changes information. As far as I know, .changes only provides the user with additional information. This means that this information is not relevant to the functionality of the system.

HTH - Michael Sy.

Ah, okay. Thanks. I figured Doku was doing some sort of indexing or something.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a yo-yo -- Enoch Root
turnermm (Moderator) #4
Member since Oct 2009 · 4349 posts · Location: Canada
Group memberships: Global Moderators, Members, Super Mods
Ah, okay. Thanks. I figured Doku was doing some sort of indexing or something.

It does.  It records image data, keeps a history of changes including storage of old versions.  Much the same as it does for pages.  You can see this if you open the top-level media manager.  If you click on an image, at the right there will be tabs for image data and history.
It's useful if you ever want to recover a previous version of an image.
Myron Turner
github: https://github.com/turnermm
plugins, templates: http://www.mturner.org/devel
This post was edited on 2018-10-12, 21:08 by turnermm.
Michaelsy #5
Member since Jun 2015 · 460 posts · Location: Düsseldorf, Germany
Sorry, Myron is right, of course. My answer was incomplete and wrong in that sense. When writing, I did not have in mind the fact that an archiving take place via the media manager when a newer version of a media file is uploaded. That's because I have never needed this option. And the reason for this is, among other things, that media files are usually loaded onto the server in their web-optimized secondary format (PDF are created from Word files, JPG and PNG from Photoshop, for example). There must then be a backup of the primary data anyway. But in other scenarios than mine, that might look quite different. 
By Patreon.com a few eurons can be fed into the code phasers of
the DokuWiki engine. Besides, Andi's posts are worth reading.
turnermm (Moderator) #6
Member since Oct 2009 · 4349 posts · Location: Canada
Group memberships: Global Moderators, Members, Super Mods
The archiving is not a feature that seems immediately pressing, particularly in a single-user wiki.  But the day that you've misplaced the version of an image that you really want, that day you will thank it for being there.  There's another possibly useful feature: it keeps a record of the pages on which your images appear.
Myron Turner
github: https://github.com/turnermm
plugins, templates: http://www.mturner.org/devel
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2018-10-21, 21:07:56 (UTC +02:00)