Update for the Multi Line Lists (mllist) plugin available
The Multi Line Lists (mllist) plugin can now be used with PHP 7.x
mburnicki #1
Member since Apr 2017 · 14 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Update for the Multi Line Lists (mllist) plugin available
Hi,

I've been using the Multi Line Lists (mllist) plugin successfully for some years now. It worked well with Greebo and earlier DW versions, but only with PHP 5.6.

After an upgrade to PHP 7.2 on my servers the plugin caused an error which resulted in a blank web page only. After some investigation I found out that only some tiny changes were required (usage of call by reference) to make the plugin work with PHP 7.2, and it still works with PHP 5.6.

The original author isn't available anymore, but there's a git repo with a copy available, and my changes have been pulled into that repo yesterday.

DW's plugin manager knows that repo, so if I (re-)install the plugin then the updated version is installed as expected.

However, the plugin manager of a different DW instance where the older version of the mllist plugin is still installed doesn't show that an update is available for the plugin, so it looks like something is missing from the git repo.

Also, the plugin info page at
https://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:mllist
could be updated to mention that the plugin now works well with Greebo and PHP 7.

Can somebody help fixing these 2 tiny issues, please?

Thanks,

Martin
LarsDW223 #2
Member since Sep 2014 · 339 posts · Location: Paderborn
The plugin needs a plugin page at dokuwiki.org. The date in the file plugin.info.txt and "Last updated on" should show the date of the latest version.
turnermm (Moderator) #3
Member since Oct 2009 · 4374 posts · Location: Canada
Group memberships: Global Moderators, Members, Super Mods
In reply to post #1
The plugin page as it now stands needs some syntax information to show potential users how its is used
Myron Turner
github: https://github.com/turnermm
plugins, templates: http://www.mturner.org/devel
mburnicki #4
Thanks @LarsDW223 and @turnermm.

I've just updated the plugin page at https://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:mllist, and I'm about to commit another change to github where I've updated the "date" in the plugin.info.txt file.

Once this works properly and the update becomes visible in older instances I can see how to add some syntax information. I've never done this in DW, yet.
mburnicki #5
BTW, IMO the "Compatible with" information on the plugin info pages should also mention the supported PHP version(s).

For example, the mllist plugin has been compatible with Greebo and earlier versions, but only if the server was running PHP 5.6. The changes I've submitted were only required after PHP had been updated to 7.x. The DW version itself was not changed.

There are still some other plugins that I've temporarily disabled because they seem to have similar problems like those I found with mllist. If you're not web/PHP developer it's really frustrating if you just get a blank page just because you have upgraded PHP to the current version.

So it would be nice to know in advance if all the plugins you are actually using work well with a specific PHP version.
LarsDW223 #6
Member since Sep 2014 · 339 posts · Location: Paderborn
Regarding PHP versions:
I agree that it would be helpful but in practice I assume that especially older plugins are not actively maintained or tested against all PHP versions. In a perfect world each plugin maintainer would write some minimal unit tests at least and use travis CI to have the plugin tested against all relevant PHP versions.
mburnicki #7
Agreed.

However, if there was an entry for the PHP version compatibility on the plugin info wiki page (as the
compatible :
line for the DW version) then users (not only the plugin maintainer) could drop a note if they found a specific plugin to be compatible with a specific PHP version, or not.

That would be helpful for other users, e.g. I could explicitly disable a specific plugin before a PHP update if other users have found that it's not compatible. Vice versa, users could check before an update if all plugins they use are compatible.

Just my 2 ct.
Michaelsy #8
Member since Jun 2015 · 539 posts · Location: Düsseldorf, Germany
Better information on the compatibility of plugins is a constant topic and are always addressed and desired. The problem is not the number of good ideas. The problem is the number of people who want to invest their energy in this unattractive and thankless work.

Regards - Michael Sy.
By Patreon.com a few eurons can be fed into the code phasers of
the DokuWiki engine. Besides, Andi's posts are worth reading.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2018-11-16, 21:40:29 (UTC +01:00)