Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: General Help and Support Features and Functionality RSS
Using DokuWiki formatted text files independent of Dokuwiki?
boardtc #1
Member since Mar 2008 · 14 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Using DokuWiki formatted text files independent of Dokuwiki?
I've used DokuWiki for 10 years or so for some simple ongoing personal wikis. It's brilliant and I still recommend it to friends who ask for a tool like it.

Separately, I've always taken various notes in plain text file form not wishing to "complicate" things with a wiki. Recently a colleague introduced me to Markdown (https://www.markdownguide.org/cheat-sheet/) and I converted some recent notes to it's simple syntax. As a next step I wanted to render the documents and used Pandoc (https://pandoc.org) to generate html from multiple files but I was quickly frustrated by the "no joined together" approach of Markdown and the countless uncoordinated forks/add-ons to address these and other issues. I then read about AsciiDoc (https://asciidoctor.org/docs/what-is-asciidoc/) & reStructuredText (http://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/master/usage/restructuredtext…) as alternatives to Markdown. But as I read about them I thought to myself that's just more markup like DokuWiki uses, why don't I just use DokuWiki markup instead!

So, can I have a collection of DokuWiki formatted text documents that I can render together* without having DokuWiki itself installed?

*let's say be able to build a table of contents from multiple DokuWiki formatted files and to be able to consistently regenerate them to the same html

I searched for similar ideas but I found no mention. It does not sound such a crazy idea to me? :-)

or maybe I should just use Textile (https://txstyle.org/)...endless possibilities....

All comments welcomed.
This post was edited on 2018-11-06, 18:45 by boardtc.
pop #2
Member since Nov 2016 · 49 posts
If I understand you correctly, you want a number of pages formatted. A look at the  Bookcreator plugin could be useful. I use this to assemble tens of pages into PDF documents which I then put in my eBook reader for perusal while commuting.
boardtc #3
Thanks @pop, https://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:bookcreator looks good and I've had a use case for that before exporting from my wikis, thanks for letting me know about it. However, it's for creating pdfs from a number of wiki pages and requires a DokuWiki instance. To try to explain another way, what I am looking for is for DokuWiki (with Bookcreator plugin) to be able to be "run" like pandoc from the command line to generate a pdf from a bunch of (DokuWiki formatted) text files and not require a web server & wiki instance.
Michaelsy #4
Member since Jun 2015 · 569 posts · Location: Düsseldorf, Germany
Quote by boardtc:
To try to explain another way, what I am looking for is for DokuWiki (with Bookcreator plugin) to be able to be "run" like pandoc from the command line to generate a pdf from a bunch of (DokuWiki formatted) text files and not require a web server & wiki instance.

The closest thing to your idea is Dowiki On A Stick. By this method DokuWiki can be used similar to a normal (windows) application, i.e. without an external web server.
The text files do not have to be entered via DokuWiki. They can be copied directly into the corresponding directories within DokuWiki.

https://www.dokuwiki.org/install:dokuwiki_on_a_stick
https://www.dokuwiki.org/install:dokuwiki_on_a_stick_linux

As far as I overview the situation, everything else will only be possible with a considerable contribution of your own development work.

HTH - Michael Sy.
By Patreon.com a few eurons can be fed into the code phasers of
the DokuWiki engine. Besides, Andi's posts are worth reading.
This post was edited 2 times, last on 2018-11-07, 15:08 by Michaelsy.
boardtc #5
Thanks, @Michaelsy. I was thinking it had not been done. A missed opportunity perhaps considering the plethora of Markup languages but like you say one would need to roll up the sleeves.
ach (Administrator) #6
Member since May 2006 · 1904 posts · Location: Folkestone, UK
Group memberships: Administrators, Members, Super Mods, Wiki Managers
I'm also surprised that this is not something any of the hundreds of Markdown tools seem to have.

The only thing that comes quite close to it in the DokuWiki space is Zim. Most of Zim's syntax is DokuWiki syntax, and you can use it like a notebook and also export to a joined up website.
boardtc #7
Thanks for appreciating my use case!

Zim! Wow! This looks very promising! I asked the same on the Zim list but can I ask if it was ever looked at to integrate Zim to dokuwiki so it was all joined up with the syntax rules 100% common and maintained in one spot?
ach (Administrator) #8
Member since May 2006 · 1904 posts · Location: Folkestone, UK
Group memberships: Administrators, Members, Super Mods, Wiki Managers
A while ago I had planned to write a Zim template and get together all plugins necessary for getting more of a Zim experience with DokuWiki. Unfortunately I'm not very active in DokuWiki anymore, although I hope to come back at some point in the future.

I doubt that the two code bases could ever be maintained in one spot. They were built with two different programming languages and serve different purposes. But some kind of collaboration could make sense.

What would be the main things you'd like to be joined up about them? I suspect it's mainly the syntax?
This post was edited on 2018-11-13, 21:42 by ach.
boardtc #9
100% the syntax! It really annoys me that there are so many variants of markup syntax all over the place!

It's hard to make the time to be active on projects, especially labours of love, good luck to you!

>I'm also surprised that this is not something any of the hundreds of Markdown tools seem to have.

Fully. The way I see it Dokuwiki can render wiki pages so the code could be packaged up so it could also be run like say Pandoc on a bunch of files to produce I guess HTML output.

For now, I have not moved away from markdown for my notes...but hope to remain curious...
andi (Administrator) #10
User title: splitbrain
Member since May 2006 · 3358 posts · Location: Berlin Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
You know that pandoc has rudimentary DokuWiki syntax support, right?
Read this if you don't get any useful answers.
Lies dies wenn du keine hilfreichen Antworten bekommst.
boardtc #11
I had no idea! Interesting!!
Looking at the manual it's for output only, that is pandoc can convert to DokuWiki syntax.
If only it took DokuWiki as input then my use case would be covered!
It turns out there is an open issue for the last 4 years to add pandoc DokuWiki Reader, well it now has 13 votes!
This post was edited 2 times, last on 2018-11-20, 01:24 by ach.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2018-12-14, 22:53:32 (UTC +01:00)