Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: General Help and Support Features and Functionality RSS
Error 403 when following a link to HTML page
andrewgmusic #1
Member since May 2018 · 8 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Error 403 when following a link to HTML page
DokuWiki is installed on Apache/2.4.7 server (Ubuntu) on VPS, all has been configured according to instructions on the Internet (I am a rookie totally).
I need to place HTML pages in the server file system and create links to them from the Wiki pages so that I can view them. However the error 403 "Forbidden you don't have permission to access /data/media/.../1.html on this server" occurs all the time. I tried through WinSCP to put permissions 7777, add in .htaccess file
SecFilterEngine Off
SecFilterScanPOST Off
but it didn't help. How do I resolve this issue?
This post was edited 3 times, last on 2018-11-13, 09:23 by andrewgmusic.
Youstable #2
Member for a month · 1 post
For fixing error 403 you need to find out what problem is causing for this error.
If you are using WordPress then it is probably caused by a problem.
There are two ways to find out, and we will tell you how you can find out which plugin is causing the error.

1 – First option is to disable all plugins to confirm that a plugin causes the problem. It will clear the doubt and help you get back your site.

2 – Disable plugin one by one, which does consume a lot of time considering the number of plugins you have activated.

If you are not able to access your admin panel then you need to fix this problem manually.
go to cpanel then file manager then find the new plugin and rename it.
pop #3
Member since Nov 2016 · 49 posts
You might consider using the plugin externallink. I think it has been made for this.
MartinR #4
Member since Jul 2015 · 104 posts · Location: UK
Is your system running SELinux?  It will override the normal permissions and if set to enforcing gives obscure access failures.
schplurtz (Moderator) #5
Member since Nov 2009 · 314 posts · Location: France, Finistère
Group memberships: Global Moderators, Members
In reply to post #1
I need to place HTML pages in the server file system and create links to them from the Wiki pages so that I can view them. However the error 403 "Forbidden you don't have permission to access /data/media/.../1.html on this server"
When Apache is properly configured for DokuWiki, directory /data is restricted. This is normal and should not be changed.

If you need to add your own HTML pages in the filesystem, place them in apache DocumenRoot (probably directory /var/www/html since you use ubuntu) but in a folder that is not DokuWiki data folder. You'll have to manually insert links. For example, if you have file /var/www/html/1.html, you need to write [[http://your.server/1.html]] in your wiki page in order to link to this page.
http://schplurtz.free.fr/wiki/
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2018-12-16, 08:01:07 (UTC +01:00)