per-user interface language [Solved]
Page:  1  2  3  next 
Robert Cailliau #1
User title: Robert Cailliau
Member since Dec 2018 · 12 posts · Location: Prévessin-Moëns, France
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: per-user interface language [Solved]
How does a normal (non-admin) user select the interface language in which they want to see DokuWiki's interface?
I have some users who prefer English, others French, yet others Dutch.
This is NOT about the text of the content on the pages!
It is about the legends of the buttons and notices of the user interface.

I searched for quite a time, including with search engines, but could not find anything.
What did I overlook?
Thanks,
This post was edited on 2019-01-14, 09:44 by Robert Cailliau.
Aleksandr #2
Member since Mar 2010 · 544 posts · Location: Volgograd, Russia
https://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:multilingual
ru: Пожалуйста, избегайте избыточного цитирования.
en: Don’t use an overquoting, please.
Robert Cailliau #3
That seems to affect the language of the content.
I want the language of the interface.
It also does not let the user set a preferred language in their profile.

For example, the search box says "Search" and has below it "Recent Changes — Media Manager — Sitemap"
If a user sets their profile to French they then should see "Chercher" and "modifications récentes — média — plan du site"

So this plugin and all similar ones are not what is needed (as I specifically stated).
Robert Cailliau #4
So…
Anyone out there who knows if it is or is not possible to change the interface language of DokuWiki?
turnermm (Moderator) #5
Member since Oct 2009 · 4642 posts · Location: Canada
Group memberships: Global Moderators, Members, Super Mods
Configuration Manager->Interface language
Myron Turner
github: https://github.com/turnermm
plugins, templates: http://www.mturner.org/devel
Michaelsy #6
Member since Jun 2015 · 925 posts · Location: Düsseldorf, Germany
In reply to post #4
Anyone out there who knows if it is or is not possible to change the interface language of DokuWiki?

You mean every user can choose his desired language, right?

In which language is the content of your Dokuwiki written? In one language? In multiple languages? (Only pictures ;-)? I suspect your use case is something special.)

With the translation plugin (https://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:translation) you can set up several language areas. (Each language has its own namespace.) When a page is called in its namespace, the interface and the content language are switched both. Just as the function is on www.dokuwiki.org too.

Whether there is the possibility of a per-user configuration, I do not know. I suspect that do not exist. In a rough review of the plugins with the tags "language" and "translation" I found nothing similar.

If you do not get an answer here, it is often a sign that the desired function does not exist. But as there are currently 1203 plugins, almost nobody can claim to know them all in detail. Therefore, it is difficult to assert that something does not exist.

What did I overlook?

Maybe you overlooked nothing.

HTH - Michael Sy.
By Patreon.com a few eurons can be fed into the code phasers of
the DokuWiki engine. Besides, Andi's posts are worth reading.
This post was edited 2 times, last on 2019-01-12, 16:52 by Michaelsy.
turnermm (Moderator) #7
Member since Oct 2009 · 4642 posts · Location: Canada
Group memberships: Global Moderators, Members, Super Mods
Sorry.  I wasn't paying attention to the full issue of per user interface language.
Myron Turner
github: https://github.com/turnermm
plugins, templates: http://www.mturner.org/devel
Robert Cailliau #8
In reply to post #6
Sigh…

Michaelsy seems to be so far the only person who understood my simple question.  I searched the plugins too but also found nothing.  I do NOT want translation, just the individual, per-user choice in the user's profile settings of the language of the interface. (I'm not using some extraterrestrial mode of communication, am I?)

Take this forum as an example:  if I go to my profile I can choose either English or German.  All the buttons and legends then adopt that chosen language.
I still use English to post, but that is irrelevant to the use case.
My DokuWiki users will work on pages whose content is in several languages, sometimes even mixed in the same page, but that is NOT the problem.  They will want to see the legends on the buttons in the language that they choose in their profile.

That seems not to be possible.

Such a choice has to be built into the DokuWiki basic software, unless a plugin can add a pop-up choice to the user profile panel.

Phpbb does have language packs that are used on the basis of the profile of the user.  DokuWiki seems to allow only a choice made by the administrator.  I.e. it is impossible for user Alice to log in and be presented with a French user interface while at the same time user Bob gets English (even if they both work on the same page which is in a third language)

However, the languages are there, it is "only" a matter of adding a menu in the profile settings and of course also change the way the system responds to a user request.

I hope someone implements this.
LarsDW223 #9
Member since Sep 2014 · 399 posts · Location: Paderborn
@Robert:

Sorry for another person joining in but after having a short look at the multilingual plugin mentioned by @Aleksandr I wonder if it is close enough for your use case or not. Reading your detailed description and the configuration parameters from the plugin multilingual the following configuration parameters seem to be essential for your use case:

Utilise Browser UI Preference
use the browser's language preference to set the language used by the wiki's UI
Start page redirection
when logging in, redirect the user to the start page corresponding to their language.

So I guess in your case you would disable the option Start page redirection because any user can edit page content in any language. And so redirection would be not wanted. And Utilise Browser UI Preference should be activated. By that the DokuWiki UI would use the language set in the browser. Ok, no extra button in the DokuWiki UI itself but still a way to set it per user (assuming that every user has an own login/account on the system he/she works from).

That is how I understood the plugin, although I haven't tested if it really works like that.

I will have a look if there is another plugin giving a language button for the DokuWiki UI per user.
LarsDW223 #10
Member since Sep 2014 · 399 posts · Location: Paderborn
I will have a look if there is another plugin giving a language button for the DokuWiki UI per user.

I did not find any plugin that is creating an extra button to select the UI language. And DokuWiki's own user settings do not include a language option either.

So multilingual is not perfect but looks like the closest match at the moment.

To maybe have a better solution in the future you could write a feature request:
- for the multilingual plugin to add an extra button for the UI language
- for DokuWiki itself to add UI language as a per user setting editable in the user manager
Michaelsy #11
Here are additional opportunities: https://www.dokuwiki.org/faq:support#bounties
andi (Administrator) #12
User title: splitbrain
Member since May 2006 · 3432 posts · Location: Berlin Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
In reply to post #8
Quote by Robert Cailliau:
Such a choice has to be built into the DokuWiki basic software, unless a plugin can add a pop-up choice to the user profile panel.

Here are your answers:

• DokuWiki does not have per-user language settings
  • A plugin could easily implement this
  • AFAIK no existing plugin has implemented it, yet
Read this if you don't get any useful answers.
Lies dies wenn du keine hilfreichen Antworten bekommst.
Robert Cailliau #13
In reply to post #10
Thanks LarsDW223.

My browser uses my system language settings, which give multiple languages.  For the search engines I have as much as possible switched language preferences OFF.  Very often sites annoy me by presenting their stuff in French simply because I happen to live in France, and some sites don't even let me choose.

The browser language is an unusable option I'm afraid.

All my users are in similar situations,  they are retired international civil servants:  we have all worked at CERN, we live in different countries than those we grew up in, we need to provide information to the members of our association in at least English and French, and our committee has a Dutchman, a Swede, several French, some Germans, Italians and also a few Scots.  The committee's working languages are indifferently French and English, but as you will understand, at home each person will want to use whatever they prefer.

Thanks also Andi for a simple and very clear answer.
How would I get someone interested in making such a plugin?  I'm afraid it would be beyond my current possibilities to try it myself.

It's hard to believe it has not yet been done.

But then it is equally hard to transmit what international life is like.  I had a row with Apple some years ago, because they took away format customisation, building them into "region" packs.  That meant there was no way I could set  English as the main language, the date format to YYYY-MM-DD, 24-h clock, euros as currency, metric, apostrophe for thousands separator and degrees Celsius.  There was no "region" with that combination.  For more than two years I was in user-unfriendly hell.

If I install DokuWiki on the committee server there had better be a way for each of us to choose freely what language the interface is in.  So I hope some benevolent soul will make a plugin…

Thanks everyone for your help.
Michaelsy #14
So you are this Robert Cailliau?

(A little "identy check": Your avatar picture seems to reproduce this Robert Cailliau and I have not found it again on the Internet. Sorry, but in these times it's better to be careful.)
Robert Cailliau #15
Michaelsy:

:-)

Yes.

(not really for this forum: ) Sorry, I did not in any way want to brag about CERN, rather show that there is a valid case for having a choice.  Not everyone lives in a mono-culture environment where all people they know speak the same language, use the same currency (we constantly have both euro coins and Swiss coins in our pockets), etc.  As one of the first Director Generals of CERN once said:  "When you enter CERN you lose your nationality" ((Weisskopf, 1961).  True.  I did not know a single co-worker who cared where any of their colleagues came from.  We were interested in doing physics, our competitors were other physics labs.  I was employed there in computing for nearly all my career.  I designed and implemented programming languages, wrote one of the first markup-driven text processors and so on.  I was in a group with a Greek, two Portuguese, an Italian, a German, a Finn, a Dane, a couple of French and a guy born in Iran.  But that wowed only visitors, we never thought of it.  I don't know of another place on the planet like CERN.
So we don't really care much either about what language DokuWiki speaks, but it's astonishing that it does not have the choice.  The number of people in cross-language operations is growing fast.  They can deal with it, but it's still more comfortable in your mother tongue.  As another important CERN person once told me: when you get older you lose your flexibility in other languages except your mother tongue.  Most committee members of this group (the pensioners' association) are years older than I am.
And at nearly 72 my energy to write a plugin has ebbed somewhat, shall we say.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Page:  1  2  3  next 
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2019-06-17, 21:04:38 (UTC +02:00)