Page:  previous  1  2  3 
Robert Cailliau #31
User title: Robert Cailliau
Member since Dec 2018 · 15 posts · Location: Prévessin-Moëns, France
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
In reply to post ID 64384
Michaelsy:
[Solved]: done.  But while I'm very grateful for the temporary fix, I'll consider it really fixed when there is a button in the user's profile.

Notifying of DokuWiki site with general access:  OK, but it is extremely unlikely.  I wanted a collaborative tool for our committee, which needed to be as wysiwyg as possible and DokuWiki was the only one coming close, but the committee works behind a password protected space first, then publishes as pdf and html on a public site that needs a little more than what DokuWiki provides (e.g. in-line svg; I may of course be wrong here).  I may use it for my own purposes, but then it will run like the trial I did: on a virtual host on my laptop, not accessible.  There is another little group that just may use it, but it too works in a protected space.  However, should something go public I'll definitely let you know.
Please keep up the good work.

One of the aspects in which the www project at CERN failed was easy editing of websites but it was not really our fault.  The 1990 system on the NeXT was based on NeXTStep's editable text object and content was easy to edit.  That was not portable to other systems which were not object oriented at the time.  Then Mosaic (Netscape) happened:  it was a browser available on all platforms which made it an instant hit, but at the same time it was very basic in that it used a single window and showed pages read-only.  Once editing was lost, html evolved quite wildly and it became increasingly difficult to make sites.  There were attempts like PageMill, Golive, Dreamweaver and so on, all very uncomfortable and limited.  Now we have stuff like Drupal, which is inaccessible to the public at large, or on the other extreme Facebook which is extremely easy for publishing but very limited in what one can do.  The whole area has split into professional tools like Drupal and very dumbed-down on-line systems like Facebook.

DokuWiki is an attempt in the right direction, and once more I'm grateful for your help and the fast responses.

There will be a special event at CERN on 12 March this year, which will be webcast: the 30th anniversary of Tim's proposal to create a networked hypertext system.  Maybe some of you are interested in watching it.  There is no official announcement yet.
There is also:
https://www.amazon.de/Wiege-Web-spannende-Geschichte-WWW/d…
or
https://www.amazon.fr/How-Web-Was-Born-Story/dp/…?Subscr…
or
https://www.mondadoristore.it/Com-e-nato-il-Web-James-Gill…

:-)
turnermm (Moderator) #32
Member since Oct 2009 · 4734 posts · Location: Canada
Group memberships: Global Moderators, Members, Super Mods
Then Mosaic (Netscape) happened:
But to those of us in the outer world it seemed like magic. 

I'm afraid I've been out of touch for 4 or 5  days, and wasn't aware that there had been a solution. But I had begun working on this problem because I already use a User Profile dialog for ckgedit which enables users to choose on a per-user basis which editor they want to have as primary, dokuwiki or ckeditor.  So it was a matter of re-casting this for use in per-user ui-language selection and adding another dialog to the user profile. It seemed like a reasonable addition to the tplmod plugin, which enables the administrator to make various alterations to the template:
   https://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:tplmod#individual_user_int…
You don't have to use any of the other features of this  plugin; it's pick and chose.
Myron Turner
github: https://github.com/turnermm
plugins, templates: http://www.mturner.org/devel
This post was edited on 2019-01-15, 13:28 by turnermm.
Robert Cailliau #33
Turnermm:

Good, so I will look into that plugin a.s.a.p., and thanks too.  It even looks very good that the choice is based on what the administrator allows.

I suppose that to test it I have to re-install the unmodified language plugin first.

If I were younger I would join you all and help with the coding.

Also:
Then Mosaic (Netscape) happened:
But to those of us in the outer world it seemed like magic. 

To us it was sheer disaster: no editing facility at all and no multi-windowing so how to make a link?
And no vector graphics!  And no style sheets!
:-(
But Mosaic did work instantly on all popular platforms, and that was its one and only  redeeming quality.
It took about 20 years to get out of the hole the web fell into, during which JavaScript happened (not putting a programming language in was, I think, our failure).  JavaScript is arguable the world's worst programming system.
Another "bad" feature was/is the internet substrate, completely based on academic usage: no security, no payment system.  The Minitel was ahead on that by a decade, but unfortunately the EU Commission did not manage to liberalise the European Telecoms in time.   So it all went to the US again, to the point that "Die Wiege des Web" says it has been "translated from the American", which manifestly is not true.  So it goes.

But we should not go on about it all on this forum.
turnermm (Moderator) #34
I suppose that to test it I have to re-install the unmodified language plugin first.
Not sure about this, as I am not really familiar with the use of that plugin.
If I were younger I would join you all and help with the coding.
Hate to play age-one-upmanship, but I do have more than 10 years on you.  Never say never!
Myron Turner
This post was edited on 2019-01-15, 16:24 by turnermm.
LarsDW223 #35
Member since Sep 2014 · 448 posts · Location: Paderborn

Yes, my changes on the multilingual plugin have to be reverted or simply remove all users from the user_settings config option. Otherwise the changes in the user profile will have no effect because the multilingual plugin "overwrites" the setting.
Robert Cailliau #36
Thank you!
MilchFlasche #37
Member since Feb 2007 · 8 posts · Location: Taichung, Taiwan
Subject: Another solution?
Dear sirs,

I have found tips:multilingual_content:local.php [DokuWiki], and at least the first paragraph of code is working on my Greebo. User interface language seems to change with browser preference (logging-in is not even needed)(you can try with http://ciangbrides.ml/!autolang ). When I get to :zh-tw:start of this wiki, I get my preferred UI language. And you can just try /de/start, /fr/start etc.

I have tried also the tplmod plugin, which is also working great. So we have both automatic detection and per-user profile at hand. Perfect!
Robert Cailliau #38
Sigh…
After a few months of non-activity, I finally found time to implement DokuWiki on our Committee's site.
However: the multilingual module seems to have a compatibility problem.  When enabled I get many warnings of this kind:

Warning: Declaration of syntax_plugin_multilingual::handle($match, $state, $pos, &$handler) should be compatible with DokuWiki_Syntax_Plugin::handle($match, $state, $pos, Doku_Handler $handler) in /home/clients/8793768624ec7a42b3223147689c48b3/web/Committee/Wiki/lib/plugins/multilingual/syntax.php on line 143

These do not show up in the tests I did on my local machine, they only show on the hosting site.
The local machine runs php 5.6.30, the hosting server runs 7.0 adn will soon force me to go to 7.3

The multilingual module is the one modified to allow setting the user interface language per user, as per posts in this thread.

Help appreciated…
turnermm (Moderator) #39
I've submitted a bug report to the author's GitHub account.  But as he hasn't been active, it seems, this warning may remain unfixed.  It's just a warning, not an error, but if it bothers you and you are comfortable with coding, you can fix it temporarily by updating the function declaration on line 143 to handle($match, $state, $pos, Doku_Handler $handler).
Myron Turner
Robert Cailliau #40
Thanks!

Yes, I think I can fix it by following a recipe I found elsewhere.
We'll see.  Give me a few hours, and maybe I'll be back with a positive answer.

21:10  Yes, it's OK now.
However, getting this to work reliably is still not easy.  There seems to be caching going on where it's not good.
It seems to work OK now.
This post was edited on 2019-06-28, 22:13 by Robert Cailliau.
hooraypublic #41
Member since Jul 2019 · 1 post
Is it possible to have a one-click switch of the ui language on the sidebar or main page. It would look like the translation plug in but without going to a different language namespace for the actual content.
This post was edited on 2019-07-04, 01:25 by hooraypublic.
Robert Cailliau #42
It should really become a pop-up menu in the registered user's profile.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Page:  previous  1  2  3 
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2019-12-08, 23:35:28 (UTC +01:00)