Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: General Help and Support Syntax and Usage RSS
Using namespaces for a collector hobby wiki
sys32768 #1
Member since Jan 2019 · 1 post
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Using namespaces for a collector hobby wiki
Hi, I'm trying to help fellow collectors create a wiki for our hobby of toy marble collecting. Namespaces make the most sense because there are multiple companies, each with its own marbles. Without proper structure it could get very confusing fast especially without a context for uploading company photos of marbles, etc.

I am struggling to grasp how namespaces work and was hoping for some direction. Is there a way I can pre-populate the wiki namespace pages to aid those unfamiliar with the syntax?

For example I envision the structure like this:

CompanyA
-CompanyA Era 1
-CompanyA Era 2
-CompanyA Marbles
--CompanyA Marble 1
--CompanyA Marble 2
--CompanyA Marble 3
-CompanyA Marble Packaging
-CompanyA Ephemera

And then this would be repeated for multiple companies, with a nice navigation tree.

I know once I grasp it, it should stick. But I need to really grasp it well so I can help my fellow editors who will be far less technical than me.

Thanks!
andi (Administrator) #2
User title: splitbrain
Member since May 2006 · 3471 posts · Location: Berlin Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Quote by sys32768 on 2019-01-22, 17:33:
I am struggling to grasp how namespaces work and was hoping for some direction.

I assume you've read https://www.dokuwiki.org/namespaces

Quote by sys32768 on 2019-01-22, 17:33:
Is there a way I can pre-populate the wiki namespace pages to aid those unfamiliar with the syntax?

You can of course create a whole bunch of stub pages right in the data/pages directory.

However, you could also just create the navigation and let your users fill in the pages. Basically transform your example list into a wiki syntax list of (red) links.
Read this if you don't get any useful answers.
Lies dies wenn du keine hilfreichen Antworten bekommst.
Stéphane Ascoët #3
Member since May 2010 · 24 posts
Group memberships: Members
Subject: Pre-populating wiki
I guess it can be done with a Bash script
--
Sincerely, Stephane Ascoet
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2019-08-19, 22:43:48 (UTC +02:00)