Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: General Help and Support Features and Functionality RSS
Want a Table of Contents that overlays, rather than displaces, page content
clh #1
Member since May 2016 · 94 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Want a Table of Contents that overlays, rather than displaces, page content
The bootstrap3 TOC, when extended, pushes any underlying content out of its way. I'd like to be able to display the TOC upon first landing on a page, but what you first see upon arriving is sometimes ugly due to the extended TOC.

Setting tpl»bootstrap3»tocCollapsed prevents the ugly first impression, but of course you don't see the TOC unless you click.

This topic seems to be addressed here as well: https://forum.dokuwiki.org/thread/14917 but there have been no answers.

Any suggestions for presenting a TOC that doesn't interfere with the underlying layout?

Thanks,
Chap

Using bootstrap3 and Greebo.
virk #2
Member since Aug 2008 · 624 posts · Location: Aachen, Germany
The bad rendering behavior does not happen here with bootstrap3-template and everything being up to date.

Try:
1) Switch off gallery-plugin in case you use it (I once had similar problems :-)
2) To find out whether it is related to any other incompatible plugin. F.e. for testing purposes just deactivate all plugins.
3) Delete cache files while doing the above tests.

Next coffee now for me :-)
turnermm (Moderator) #3
Member since Oct 2009 · 4690 posts · Location: Canada
Group memberships: Global Moderators, Members, Super Mods
I Virk's suggestions don't work or you, try the  overlay plugin
Myron Turner
github: https://github.com/turnermm
plugins, templates: http://www.mturner.org/devel
clh #4
In reply to post #2
I turned off all extensions and, while it didn't make any difference, I noticed for the first time that the behavior only occurs when I'm at the top of the page. For example, if the page begins:

====== H1 Title ======

===== H2 First Subheading =====
    Blah blah blah...

then, when rendered, the extended menu displaces the text under the First Subheading (it causes the text to be reflowed so as not to be overlaid by the menu). But if I scroll down just enough that the Title scrolls offscreen, the extended menu always overlays whatever's there, which is what I want.

I tried removing one pair of '=' signs from the H1 Title to see if the problem was related to H1, but I still saw the same behavior. I tried putting some text both above and below the first header: the bad behavior ends as soon as the first header has scrolled out of sight.
virk #5
Member since Aug 2008 · 624 posts · Location: Aachen, Germany
Test to add the following to your userstyle.css:

hr {
  clear: none; /* Dient dazu, dass der Text parallel zum Toc beginnt */
  width: auto;
}

- /* Dient dazu, dass der Text parallel zum Toc beginnt */ is just a comment and means: "Serves to start the text parallel to the Toc"
- To add it to your userstyle.css you can make use of the "Advanced Plugin" from the same author as the bootstrap3-template.
clh #6
Subject: Possible solution
The hr{} didn't fix it.

Here's what finally seems to have worked. I know nothing about CSS; a colleague provided it.

Added to userstyle.css:

#dw__toc {position:fixed;}
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2019-08-24, 02:23:24 (UTC +02:00)