Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: General Help and Support General Stuff RSS
How should I structure namespaces...categories...etc
teeber99 #1
Member for a month · 5 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: How should I structure namespaces...categories...etc
I am designing a biological taxonomy Dokuwiki.  ...phylum,class,order,family,genus,species
I have hundreds of  individual pages in each group. I would like to organize the pages such that all the phylum pages are in a phylum folder, all the class pages are in a class folder, etc. etc. But I would like to have internal links on any given page that opens a page in the previous level folder. That is, a link on any given class page will open to its corresponding phylum page.

It seems namespaces will not allow internal links to other namespaces? Or what am I not understanding...probably a lot...
cziehr #2
Member since Jan 2011 · 512 posts · Location: 10119 Berlin
Quote by teeber99:
It seems namespaces will not allow internal links to other namespaces?

It is no problem to link from a page in one namespace to another page in another namespace.

An alternative of organizing pages in namespaces is using the tag-plugin. I started my wiki in 2011, also based on a namespace-structure. If I would start from scratch today, I would use the approach with the tag-plugin instead of a namespace-based-structure. But this depends on your needs and your data.

Greetings,
Christoph
MartinR #3
Member since Jul 2015 · 120 posts · Location: UK
In reply to post #1
Have a look at https://www.dokuwiki.org/namespaces.

As I understand your question you wan to have for example a namespace called genus which contains (amongst others) a page called "Felis".  You also need a namespace called species within which is a page called "Felis catus".  These appear to DW as
:genus:felis
:species:felis_catus

On the :genus:felis you can refer to [[:species:felis_catus]] and on :species:felis_catus you can refer to [[:genus:felis]].  Please note the leading :, it forces the path resolution up to the top.  If you're not happy with UNIX-style pathnames, and I've understood your requirements correctly, then I would seriously suggest you restrict yourself to the above.

Relative paths are possible ("up a level then come down a different route") but slightly less intuitive.  The relative forms of the above two links would be: [[..:genus:felis]] and [[..:species:felis_catus]].  Relative paths are important if, for example, you want to store the ''felis'' page in user>teeber>classwork>taxonomy_project>genus>felis since the moggies are then linked to by [[..:species:felis_catus]] rather than [[:user:teeber:classwork:taxonomy_project:species:felis_catus]]!
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2019-02-16, 16:45:58 (UTC +01:00)