Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: General Help and Support Server Setup RSS
DokuWiki tries to load over 400 non-existent files or directories, results in performance hit
NickD #1
Member for a week · 2 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: DokuWiki tries to load over 400 non-existent files or directories, results in performance hit
Hi,

I'm using apache2 on one system, that then accesses Dokuwiki over a "network drive" on another system.

While both the systems in use have low technical specifications I've assumed DokuWiki is light enough that isn't doesn't need much resource throwing at it for such a small use case. This is a for a "family wiki", maybe thirty of so pages, and just the standard plugins.

However it can take 10 to 15 seconds to load the wiki in the browser the first time, and maybe 5 to 10 each subsequent time. From looking at this, when loading every page Dokuwiki is making over 400 requests for files or directories that don't exist. I've listed the files or directories it looks for the most, and the number of time it searches for them. Is this standard behaviour? Does this illustrate a typical configuration error?

24 auth.php
24 auth
22 action.php
22 action
19 speech.css
18 speech.less
18 screen.less
18 screen.css
18 print.less
18 print.css
18 all.css
17 all.less
16 style.less
13 style.css
08 .htaccess
turnermm (Moderator) #2
Member since Oct 2009 · 4490 posts · Location: Canada
Group memberships: Global Moderators, Members, Super Mods
Where are you getting these counts from?
Myron Turner
github: https://github.com/turnermm
plugins, templates: http://www.mturner.org/devel
NickD #3
Member for a week · 2 posts
Group memberships: Members
Quote by turnermm:
Where are you getting these counts from?

Essentially "strace -p <apache2> | grep "No such file or directory" | cut and awk stuff just to list the file or directory accessed | basename | sort | uniq", but slightly more complicated than that ;)
turnermm (Moderator) #4
Member since Oct 2009 · 4490 posts · Location: Canada
Group memberships: Global Moderators, Members, Super Mods
I'm not a familiar enough with strace to know how you get your result.  But all the files you list are dokuwiki files and are required for the running of the wiki.  They are not "non-existent" files.
Myron Turner
github: https://github.com/turnermm
plugins, templates: http://www.mturner.org/devel
andi (Administrator) #5
User title: splitbrain
Member since May 2006 · 3391 posts · Location: Berlin Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
In reply to post #1
Quote by NickD:
I'm using apache2 on one system, that then accesses Dokuwiki over a "network drive" on another system.

Don't. DokuWiki makes use of the filesystem for everything and assumes that file accesses are reasonably fast and are cached by the underlying OS. Running DokuWiki off a networked filesystem will give you a big performance hit.
Read this if you don't get any useful answers.
Lies dies wenn du keine hilfreichen Antworten bekommst.
schplurtz (Moderator) #6
Member since Nov 2009 · 364 posts · Location: France, Finistère
Group memberships: Global Moderators, Members
In reply to post #4
Quote by turnermm on 2019-02-10, 22:16:
I'm not a familiar enough with strace to know how you get your result.  But all the files you list are dokuwiki files and are required for the running of the wiki.  They are not "non-existent" files.
I was surprised too, and tried strace too (could/should have used the code). The explanation is that DW looks for given files at certain places. For example, for each plugin, DW can't know if the plugin is an action plugin or not, so it tries to access action.php. When the plugin is not an actin plugin, you get a "No such file or directory" error.
This post was edited on 2019-02-12, 06:42 by schplurtz.
schplurtz (Moderator) #7
Member since Nov 2009 · 364 posts · Location: France, Finistère
Group memberships: Global Moderators, Members
In reply to post #5
Quote by andi on 2019-02-10, 22:57:
DokuWiki makes use of the filesystem for everything and assumes that file accesses are reasonably fast and are cached by the underlying OS.
Even when cached, system calls are time consuming by nature (well that's what I've allways thought). Wouldn't DW benefit from a software cache here ?
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2019-02-16, 16:43:40 (UTC +01:00)