Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: Offtopic Chit Chat RSS
Anunmodana (invitation to rejoice with good deeds) - No chit chat at all
Samana Johann #1
Member since Jun 2018 · 174 posts · Location: Aural/Cambodia
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Anunmodana (invitation to rejoice with good deeds) - No chit chat at all
Since it is common for monks of the Buddha to give Anumodana (which is actually not what is known as blessing, but encouragement and share of merits one has done), my person thought to dedicate a topic. Since in all material ways beggars (which do not ask but accept invitations) there is actually nothing to give back aside of encouragements in regards of ones good actions and explaining of the way to better and beyond (and since not living on improper dependency, such is never made to give favors, but without "corruption", i.e. for own interests and trade).

This being the host of the great Brahma (God, Sublime, One with a Stand) Andreas and his many mighty Devas (deities) assembled here, similar to the realm of the "Devas Wielding Power over the Creation of Others (paranimmita-vasavatti deva)" and "Devas Delighting in Creation (nimmanarati deva)" and those respecting the Devas are always respected and protected by them, it's good to place appreciation toward all good deeds and sacrifices done in the past, current and in the future, toward the Devas, visible or invisible, blatant or subtle:

Bhuttā bhogā bhaṭā bhaccā
    Vitiṇṇā āpadāsu me
Uddhaggā dakkhiṇā dinnā
    Atho pañca balī katā
Upaṭṭhitā sīlavanto
    Saññatā brahmacārino
Yadatthaṃ bhogam-iccheyya
    Paṇḍito gharam-āvasaṃ
So me attho anuppatto
    Kataṃ ananutāpiyaṃ
Etaṃ anussaraṃ macco
    Ariya-dhamme ṭhito naro
Idheva naṃ pasaṃsanti
    Pecca sagge pamodatīti.

"My wealth has been enjoyed,
My dependents supported,
    protected from calamities by me.
I have given lofty offerings,
    and performed the five oblations.
I have provided for the virtuous,
    the restrained, leaders of the holy life.
For whatever aim a wise householder
    would desire wealth,
    that aim I have attained.
I have done what will not lead to future distress."
When this is recollected by a mortal,
    a person established in the Dhamma of the Noble Ones,
He is praised in this life
    and, after death, rejoices in heaven.

from the Adiya Sutta, Benefits to be Obtained (from Wealth)

(The "five oblations" are gifts/offerings given to one's relatives, guests, the dead, kings (taxes paid to the government), and devas.)

Mudita

Edit Andi: I usually would remove a post like this for it's close resemblance to spam. Instead I just removed the URLs, assuming good faith in the poster's intent and this being the off-topic forum.
This post was edited 2 times, last on 2019-04-06, 09:34 by andi.
Michaelsy #2
Member since Jun 2015 · 782 posts · Location: Düsseldorf, Germany
Edit Andi: [...]  assuming good faith in the poster's intent [...]

Yes, if I understand Samana Johann correctly, then he means with his posting a positive appreciation of the DokuWiki project and everyone involved.

The following is quite understandable for me:

anumodanīyena anumodi
(meist 'anumodanā' genannt)

Danksagung, wörtlich: «Mitfreude», nämlich mit dem vom Spender erworbenen sittlichen Verdienst. Die Texte hierfür enthalten keinen Dank, sondern den Wunsch, daß der Spender die Früchte seiner guten Tat ernten möge, in glücklicher Wiedergeburt und schließlich im Gewinn der Erlösung (Nibbāna).

Eine 'Anerkennung' des durch Gaben erworbenen sittlichen Verdienstes wird auch heute noch in den südbuddhistischen Ländern nach einem Spendenmahl oder anderen Gaben für die Mönchsgemeinde von einen der anwesenden Mönche feierlich rezitiert.

Eine solche 'Anerkennung', häufig in feststehender Formulierung, mag ganz kurz sein oder auch den Umfang einer kurzen Predigt haben oder von einer solchen eingeleitet werden. Der Geber wird darin an die mannigfachen guten Folgen seiner verdienstlichen Handlung erinnert: in diesem Leben, in künftiger Existenz und als helfende Bedingung für die Erreichung des Nibbāna. Das anumodana nimmt die Stelle einer Danksagung oder eines Segensspruches ein, hat aber inhaltlich keineswegs einen solchen Charakter.
Source: http://www.palikanon.com/wtb/anumodana.html

If I remember correctly, Buddhist monks must not thank for what they have been given (or something like that). An "anumodana" will presumably take the place of a thanksgiving.
By Patreon.com a few eurons can be fed into the code phasers of
the DokuWiki engine. Besides, Andi's posts are worth reading.
This post was edited on 2019-04-06, 12:36 by Michaelsy.
Samana Johann #3
Mr. Michael:

If I remember correctly, Buddhist monks must not thank for what they have been given.

That's quite more to the point as the quoted text. Since rejoicing in gainings of others and to share ones merits is total alien in modern/western world, it would be good to be well introduced. How ever, my person thinks that it is not welcome here to speak about virtues and good.

There is no problem if removing it and all, it would not change own intentions but just simply deprive others to participate on merits and receive what is hard and seldom to receive, not to speak of burning down ones own fields before harvest by fear, anger and aversion. It will not happen again and my person understand certain control over merits of others since they are very powerful.

As for my persons part of involvement, please feel not offended by it, there is less that can assume that the use of DW is actually welcome since there would not come any worldly benefit back and my person will try to abstain any personal uninvited  (just assuming that it could be taken in trust) use of support that nobody may feel uncomfortable by not wished use of ones scarifies. 

May all your good undertakings fruits be always quick recognize-able for you, that faith in good deeds may grow steady and quick.

metta and mudita (one may, can at least, google after the meaning of words or use links of dealers)
This post was edited 2 times, last on 2019-04-06, 14:18 by Samana Johann.
andi (Administrator) #4
User title: splitbrain
Member since May 2006 · 3409 posts · Location: Berlin Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
In reply to post #2
Quote by Michaelsy:
Yes, if I understand Samana Johann correctly, then he means with his posting a positive appreciation of the DokuWiki project and everyone involved.

Personally a simple "Thank you" would be much easier for me to understand ;-) But I'm happy that DokuWiki is proving useful for others. So in a way I'm happy that others are happy, which seems to be in line with what OP is talking about :-)
Read this if you don't get any useful answers.
Lies dies wenn du keine hilfreichen Antworten bekommst.
Samana Johann #5
Sadhu! That's already mudita, a first step.
This post was edited 2 times, last on 2019-04-07, 07:56 by andi.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2019-04-20, 00:46:11 (UTC +02:00)