Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: General Help and Support Installation and Configuration RSS
How to restore a backup.tar?
DasFragezeichen #1
Member for a month · 6 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: How to restore a backup.tar?
I used the plugin BackupTool to make a backup.
Now I want to import this into my new wiki (new server) without using a ftp server.
Is there a way to import the tar-file?

Are there alternative tools to backup and restore a wiki (sites and media). I found nothing on the plugin site.
cziehr #2
Member since Jan 2011 · 570 posts · Location: 10119 Berlin
A tar-file is an archive like a zip-file. After opening the archive, you have access to all of your files.

I assume you use Windows, I recommend 7zip for opening the file: https://www.7-zip.org/

I don't know how you've put the wiki on your new server, but you can put the contents from the tar-file in the same way.
DasFragezeichen #3
I use Linux Mint 19.1.
Is there realy no way to import a backup.tar or backup.zip?
Michaelsy #4
Member since Jun 2015 · 885 posts · Location: Düsseldorf, Germany
Additionally to cziehr's answer:
https://www.dokuwiki.org/start?id=faq:backup#how_to_restor…
By Patreon.com a few eurons can be fed into the code phasers of
the DokuWiki engine. Besides, Andi's posts are worth reading.
cziehr #5
Member since Jan 2011 · 570 posts · Location: 10119 Berlin
In reply to post #3
In Linux Mint, it should be possible to open tar-archives without installing any further applications.

You can open the archive and put the contents in the data-directory of your wiki; I assume somewhere in /var/www/html

On the plugin-page of backup-tool, restoring a backup is also described in this way:

Restoring a Backup

The following assumes that your Wiki is completely gone - you have nothing left then one backup-archive and the credentials of the Admin-User. It also assumes that you backed up at least your configuration and pages.

1. Start the installation of the latest version of DokuWwiki as if you would start with a new wiki

2. Untar your backup and copy the three directories (conf, data and lib) to your wikis destination-dir, overwriting any possibly existing files

3. You should now be able to log in with your previously used admin account.
DasFragezeichen #6
I think you missunderstood me.

I need something like the ArchiveUpload Plugin (https://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:archiveupload), just for backups.
I have a new server and a new wiki.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2019-05-24, 09:22:51 (UTC +02:00)