Forum: General Help and Support Features and Functionality RSS
More Plugin Information In Extension Manager
Extension Manager Improvements
Page:  1  2  next 
bobaroo (Former member) #1
No profile available.
Link to this post
Subject: More Plugin Information In Extension Manager
It would be of huge benefit to have a link to a plugin's main information page displayed in the listing of plugins in the Extension Manager.  With that feature it would be easy to find out more about a given plugin.

Further, it would be beneficial to have a way to sort search results by popularity and other criteria.

IMHO, I would think these would be relatively trivial to implement.
Michaelsy #2
Member since Jun 2015 · 969 posts · Location: Düsseldorf, Germany
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Quote by bobaroo:
It would be of huge benefit to have a link to a plugin's main information page displayed in the listing of plugins in the Extension Manager

Please click the "Docs"-Link, already given to all plugins in the extension manager.

Please also note the arrow symbol on the right, which gives you more information.

Further, it would be beneficial to have a way to sort search results by popularity and other criteria.

Please read my already given answer in your previous thread.

HTH - Michael Sy.
By Patreon.com a few eurons can be fed into the code phasers of
the DokuWiki engine. Besides, Andi's posts are worth reading.
This post was edited on 2019-05-15, 00:17 by Michaelsy.
bobaroo (Former member) #3
No profile available.
Link to this post
Right you are.  I just came back here to note that I found the tiny "Doc" link.  It should have been a link on the title of the plugin, but oh well; anything to obscure things, I guess.  ;-)

I also didn't notice the little downward pointing triangle.   :rolleyes:

One must get used to new ways of doing things when dealing with new software.

I also do not like that the doc link takes me out of my wiki instead of opening a new tab in my browser.  That isn't browser problem, but rather is a layout flaw.
pop #4
Member since Nov 2016 · 179 posts
You could have a look into the manual of your browser. I'm quite positive that you can press some modifier key before klicking on a link to open the link in a new tab. Mine can do that.

Up to now, I always found the people in this forum very helpful and unvaryingly polite.
bobaroo (Former member) #5
No profile available.
Link to this post
No, but thanks anyway.
Michaelsy #6
In reply to post #3
Quote by bobaroo:
That isn't browser problem, ...

On which browser is it not possible to use the right mouse button (context menu) to select several options for opening a link?
Michaelsy #7
In reply to post #4
Quote by pop:
Up to now, I always found the people in this forum very helpful and unvaryingly polite.
Sorry, I have removed the problematic and unnecessary sentence.
pop #8
Quote by Michaelsy:
Quote by pop:
Sorry, I have removed the problematic and unnecessary sentence.

I am sorry, Michael. It was not your sentence that I objected to. I should not have replied in anger. My fault.
bobaroo (Former member) #9
No profile available.
Link to this post
And I am not angry either.  It is just disgust at two things; my oversight of what is obvious to many, and the arguably non-intuitive nature of the software.  But that is how things are in this world.  Everyone must learn to use new things.

And just to be clear; a browser uses the links in the page as the page dictates.  Some links open in another window or tab, and some just jump the current page to a new one.  That is how it works.

In my case, the browser is set by default to open all links in another tab.  However, the page often overrides that because of programmed code.  Having to learn another way of doing things, in this case right-clicking and choosing to open in new tab, is non-intuitive and an unnecessary step.  Good programming would have obviously allowed a setting to open non-personal-wiki links in new tabs automatically; especially since we are taken to another, non-local wiki.  I am rather surprised that such is not the default.  (Maybe there is a hidden switch somewhere?)

Again, we just have to get familiar with applying these extra steps.
pop #10
Quote by bobaroo:
...Having to learn another way of doing things, in this case right-clicking and choosing to open in new tab, is non-intuitive and an unnecessary step.  Good programming would have obviously allowed a setting to open non-personal-wiki links in new tabs automatically ....

What is obvious to you may not be an adequate solution to others. The programmer might have had another use case in mind, or another work flow.
If it's any consolation, DokuWiki can be configured how to follow links. However, that seems to apply to the content of the wiki and not to the various plugins. I used to be capable of good programming, but I would not presume to know whether this was by design or a mere oversight.

Anyway, what's wrong with learning how to use your browser to its potential? It took me all of a few minutes to learn that my current browser uses either a middle-klick or a CONTROL-klick to open a link in a new tab. Hey, presto, there I am, using tens of websites much more conveniently. Writing your grumbles here took much longer than learning that.

Besides, I wonder what the use of sorting plugins by popularity is. In what way does it help me to know that one plugin has been more often installed or not installed, unless I know what kind of problems the other users were hoping to solve? Anyway, how do you measure popularity of a plugin?
bobaroo (Former member) #11
No profile available.
Link to this post
Reinventing the wheel is the basic problem.

We have started, since there was a GUI, to consider what is intuitive and what is not.  That has not changed.  While that body of evidence is growing, there are basics that have not been improved, and until we decide to employ voice recognition as we should, we should not allow programmers to second-guess what has been tested and proven.

My experience has shown me that, sadly to say, most programmers are idea-focused, rather than user-focused.  Without good direction, the job usually gets only half done.  While there is no doubt that they mean well and they truly desire to do good, our best intentions rarely work out in the way we wished.

With that said, this is the forum for features and functionality.  It seems reasonable that one may assume that programmers are listening in to the ideas presented here, and this would therefore be the perfect place for pet peeves and grumbles regarding usability.

If everyone wants to be conservative, then nothing gets changed.  But nothing is perfect and everything can be improved.  We all need to be progressive.  It is either stagnation and death or moving forward.

One would hope that the creators of Dokuwiki had made sure that there are parameters which plugin creators must follow.  Therefore, there should be no surprises or gotchas.  But we all should recognize that things can slip thru.

As to learning to use a browser, as well as any other software, no one would assume that is a bad idea.  However that concept does overlook the ease of use and intuitiveness of the environment.  If every piece of software is going to follow its own methodology, the user will spend a lifetime learning all the various insider tricks to accomplishing things.  Is that really good?  Of course not.

What really takes time is educating the public on these issues, but we must not be disregarding the necessity of that task.  People still use Microsoft products, after all.

As to sorting by popularity, that is done so that newbies will have some idea of the more useful additions to a piece of software.  And I believe that the popularity of anything is normally calculated by number of downloads.  That in itself is a useful parameter.

Now, where is that configuration setting for following links?
pop #12
Quote by bobaroo:
Reinventing the wheel is the basic problem.

Now, where is that configuration setting for following links?

Strangely enough, and rather running against every expectation, it's called "links" and can be found in the page "configuration settings". Even more strange, this software follows a rather ancient custom of providing a user manual.
bobaroo (Former member) #13
No profile available.
Link to this post
pop, I am not trying to be confrontational, and I am sorry for you taking my statements that way.  I know you have because of your use of disparaging wording such as characterizing my comments as grumbling, and by the sarcasm of your last post.  Would I be correct in stating that your comments are grumbling?  I would not feel comfortable doing so.  It just somehow seems impolite to me.

Strangely enough, and rather running against every expectation, it's called "links" and can be found in the page "configuration settings"
Is this how you describe things to a newbie?  Where its found and how to get there would have been helpful.  I would have been more precise, but that's just me.

Even more strange, this software follows a rather ancient custom of providing a user manual.
Why should it need one?  Here's what I pointed out before:
As to learning to use a browser, as well as any other software, no one would assume that is a bad idea.  However that concept does overlook the ease of use and intuitiveness of the environment.  If every piece of software is going to follow its own methodology, the user will spend a lifetime learning all the various insider tricks to accomplishing things.  Is that really good?  Of course not.

Even if we do not know each others status and experience, I hope we can be friends in our discussion.

Thank you
pop #14
Quote by bobaroo:
Strangely enough, and rather running against every expectation, it's called "links" and can be found in the page "configuration settings"
Is this how you describe things to a newbie?  Where its found and how to get there would have been helpful.  I would have been more precise, but that's just me.

Certainly.

As you want to administrate your wiki, you click on the link labelled "admin".

You want to see the page "configuration settings". In order to do so, click on the link with the text "configuration settings".

In order to locate the section named "links", you can either click on the link with the text "links" in the TOC of the page, or you can scroll down until you can read the title "links". On the other hand, if you have yet learned how to use the search function of your browser, you let it search for the term "links".

In other words, you open the page "configuration settings" and locate the section "links", as I've written above.
bobaroo (Former member) #15
No profile available.
Link to this post
Thanks, I'll give that a try.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Page:  1  2  next 
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2019-09-23, 19:57:26 (UTC +02:00)