Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: General Help and Support Features and Functionality RSS
Discussions disappear from view
pop #1
Member since Nov 2016 · 170 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Discussions disappear from view
The Discussion plugin allows me to automatically add discussions to all pages of a given namespace. This works very well.

However, as soon as I edit a page which has a discussion attached, the discussion will no longer be shown. I have to add the directive ~~DISCUSSION~~ to the page.

Is there an easy fix?
MartinR #2
Member since Jul 2015 · 151 posts · Location: UK
Have you considered the vector template https://www.dokuwiki.org/template:vector?  It's based on the MediaWiki look and will be familiar to anyone who has used Wikipedia.  Like WP it has a "Discussion" tab on the left which takes you to a talk: namespace.  As well as preserving discussions it allows the administrator to keep the wiki under control (only authorised editors may write to it) whilst allowing anyone with access to contribute to a discussion.  I used to run a departmental wiki where the ACLs allowed developers to write to the development area, system staff to the help and announcements, and corporate users only to discussions.
pop #3
Thanks for your advice. As I added the discussion feature to a small part of a larger Wiki which has been in production for a longish time, changing templates is beyond my capabilty right now and might scare off current users.

The only problem that I can see right now is that discussions vanish from view. Once you make them show up again with~~DISCUSSION~~, everything seems to be just fine. However, this makes automatically adding discussions to pages in a given namespace a moot point.
MartinR #4
Member since Jul 2015 · 151 posts · Location: UK
Probably not an option, but if you run a farm you can have different templates for each animal.  At home I hit formatting problems with the bureaucracy plugin under the Vector template and had to run up a farm so as to use standard DokuWiki template for one project.
ach (Administrator) #5
Member since May 2006 · 1926 posts · Location: Folkestone, UK
Group memberships: Administrators, Members, Super Mods, Wiki Managers
In reply to post #1
Quote by pop on 2019-06-06, 11:27:
as soon as I edit a page which has a discussion attached, the discussion will no longer be shown. I have to add the directive ~~DISCUSSION~~ to the page.

Are you using a WYSIWYG plugin (like CKGEdit)? I've heard of similar things happening when it is installed.
It might be worth disabling it temporarily to find out if that is indeed causing the issue.
pop #6
Thanks, MartinR and ach

The affected wiki uses the default templates and no extra editors. it is a standalone Wiki, but I can reproduce the problem in a test wiki in a wiki farm on another server.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2019-08-24, 00:13:18 (UTC +02:00)