Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: General Help and Support Features and Functionality RSS
Is DokuWiki a SharePoint Foundation 2010 replacement?
EvanMc #1
Member for 2 weeks · 1 post
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Is DokuWiki a SharePoint Foundation 2010 replacement?
Questions:
1) Is there a clean way to migrate 8126 pages and 229 files from SharePoint Foundation 2010's wiki to DokuWiki?
2) Are there any limitations (the number of files/entries/pages as an example) I should be aware of?

Background:
My department has been running SharePoint Foundation and it's predecessors as a Wiki since late 2008.  We use it for asset tracking, and notes for our day-to-day activities (i.e. A common inter-office conversation: I remember working on that Policy a couple years ago.  What was changed? Check the Wiki.) We are currently running the 2010 version and looking at either upgrading to 2013 (with its short life span) or finding an alternative.  From reviews and research, DokuWiki looks close enough in syntax to SharePoint's wiki the learning curve should be manageable.  But I can't imagine abandoning 11 years of data because the server OS and Foundations is no longer supported.  I'm wishing now I'd found DokuWiki back when I started this.
Rothlye #2
Member since Aug 2016 · 11 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
I also used SharePoint 2010's wiki feature briefly. It was convenient to make it available since we were already using SharePoint for other things.

Is there a clean way to migrate 8126 pages and 229 files from SharePoint Foundation 2010's wiki to DokuWiki?

Probably not.

If you can retrieve all of your SharePoint wiki pages in their raw textual form, then I would simply copy them all into corresponding pages within DokuWiki based on their resource name. Pages would not format correctly and links would be broken, but you could repair this as you go over time. Search would still be able to help you locate the content you need.

I doubt that SharePoint wiki pages are stored as text, however. Even though you use a text editor window to create and update them, they are probably stored in some other format behind the scenes. Turn your SharePoint wiki into a static site, and then use Dokuwiki's interwiki feature to make it easy to link backwards to existing content. This preserves access to your existing content while allowing you to use Dokuwiki moving forward. Since you converted everything to a static site, you can take your SharePoint 2010 environment offline if you want to.

Are there any limitations (the number of files/entries/pages as an example) I should be aware of?

I'm not aware of any. The beauty of Dokuwiki is its simplicity.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2020-02-17, 08:11:28 (UTC +01:00)