Forum: General Help and Support Features and Functionality RSS
search up to synonyms and namespaces, side scripts
Vincent #1
Member since Aug 2006 · 13 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: search up to synonyms and namespaces, side scripts
Hi

Thanks for this very nice wiki; i am considering using this seriously.
Here are a few questions about search, and side commands, and wiki composition.

Search:
Can search be made relative to a namespace/directory, eg "parts:amplifier", "animals:tortoise" ?
Can the search mechanism be extended easily to handle synonyms (given in some user extensible table say)?
Is there a third party search mechanism one could use instead ?

Side-tools:
Can I write server side scripts in another language and have them interact with user inputs in DW-forms,
and feed output back to DW; how easy is it to do that ?
The reason I am asking is that, since the file structure is open and Unix-like, it seems a lot easier than going through an SQL interface.

Composition:
Is it possible to have a client-side sub-wiki that functions as an "overlay", a kind of vertical composition.
Likewise is it possible to horizontal composition, where two wikis on the server side are interaccessible but
use different visual architectures, layouts, colors, typeface, etc

Cheers
Vincent
-- Vincent
This post was edited 2 times, last on 2006-08-30, 19:46 by Vincent.
Vincent #2
any help ?
search up to synonyms is a generic question worth solving i think, and immensely useful to me.
where in the code do i have to look to modify search ?
it does not have to be fast in the first instance; a proof-of-concept would be more than enought to start with.

tia
-- Vincent
BlackFog #3
Member since May 2006 · 95 posts
In reply to post #1
You have very specific questions and all in one thread? It seem that you comming from a commercial wiki and want the same funktionality here. No offence, just my thoughts.

Quote by Vincent on 2006-08-30, 00:18:
Search:
Can search be made relative to a namespace/directory, eg "parts:amplifier", "animals:tortoise" ?
Can the search mechanism be extended easily to handle synonyms (given in some user extensible table say)?
Is there a third party search mechanism one could use instead ?
The search is currently under development (as the many more other things too ;) ) ask the mailing list. I dont have seen any aproaches of using external search engines. If you like, feel free to implement. :)

Side-tools:
Can I write server side scripts in another language and have them interact with user inputs in DW-forms,
and feed output back to DW; how easy is it to do that ?
The reason I am asking is that, since the file structure is open and Unix-like, it seems a lot easier than going through an SQL interface.
This is also not a simple user question (my opinion), ask the mailing list here too, but never seen such a thing (doesnt say very much...).

Composition:
Is it possible to have a client-side sub-wiki that functions as an "overlay", a kind of vertical composition.
Likewise is it possible to horizontal composition, where two wikis on the server side are interaccessible but
use different visual architectures, layouts, colors, typeface, etc
What do you want to do with this? Such a thing like frontend and backend server? Atm you have to write clustering things yourself and donate them. ;)

Sry that I cant really help you.

BlackFog
Vincent #4
Thanks for answering. And yes! sorry for jumping in with all my questions ;)
I'll do as you say and subscribe to the mailing list.

The basic appeal of dokuwiki to me is that i can see the sources and i like the architecture in so far as i understand it. So in principle i could try to extend it myself and have it suit better my needs.

Eg concerning client-side overlays, it seems my users will not want to share everything and may have confidential or unpolished data they want to draft internally before publishing (one could even think of some kind of web of interconnected wikis sharing a common basic topic and structure ...)

Also the kind of pages i d' like to handle needs micronavigating beyond what can be achieved by just links,
automated or user-defined. Macronavigation, ie search by keywords, also needs refinement for my usage.

If this is all gibberish to you ... don't bother, i was just asking. And once again thanks for this very nice and useful piece of software.

Cheers
Vincent
-- Vincent
This post was edited on 2006-09-06, 19:39 by Vincent.
BlackFog #5
Quote by Vincent:
Thanks for answering. And yes! sorry for jumping in with all my questions ;)
I'll do as you say and subscribe to the mailing list.
No problem, you could take a look at the mailing list archive, too.

The basic appeal of dokuwiki to me is that i can see the sources and i like the architecture in so far as i understand it. So in principle i could try to extend it myself and have it suit better my needs.
Did u take a look at WikiMatrix? Just in case u neednt invent the wheel again. ;)

Eg concerning client-side overlays, it seems my users will not want to share everything and may have confidential or unpolished data they want to draft internally before publishing (one could even think of some kind of web of interconnected wikis sharing a common basic topic and structure ...)
A work around could be a acl protected namespace like "draft". But u have to manually copy the contents to a productive namspace atm afaik...

Also the kind of pages i d' like to handle needs micronavigating beyond what can be achieved by just links,
automated or user-defined. Macronavigation, ie search by keywords, also needs refinement for my usage.
You intrigue me, whats micronavigation on a web site? Are anchors ('#') not enough?

BlackFog
Vincent #6
a quickish answer about micronavigation: i want to use the wiki to have people feed in and update a catalog of bio parts, and interaction rules (at the molecular level); such rules and parts are in relation in several ways,
occurrence, conflict, refinement, causation (i can explained all that); that underlying space of mathematical relations can be used to "micronavigate" the site (and perhaps colect stuff in a cart to construct a model).
There is nore to it, because those relations can be coarse-grained, as if one changed resolution.
Whether this applies to more general situations i don't know.

Thanks for the conversation, i'll be back later reg your other remarks

cheers !
-- Vincent
BlackFog #7
This seems to me a kind of data mining, this could be an interesting plugin, someone has interest...? ;)

Did you found another wiki better suitable for your needs?

BlackFog
Vincent #8
Did you found another wiki better suitable for your needs?

i have been busy on other aspects of that project in the last weeks.
like getting money :)
but I am still thinking about using dokuwiki
(btw a friend told me dokuwiki is used by the french ubuntu group website)
-- Vincent
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2020-02-26, 15:07:55 (UTC +01:00)