Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: General Help and Support General Stuff RSS
dokuwiki on a stick (network drive install/multiuser support?)
mike08054 #1
Member since May 2008 · 4 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: dokuwiki on a stick (network drive install/multiuser support?)
Can I install dokuwiki on a stick on a network drive? I assume yes because it's always mapped as the same drive letter.

Once it is installed can it be accessed/edited by multiple users who also have access to the same network drive?
If yes would there be any revision/editing conflicts?

Thanks!
StinkyWinky #2
Member since Apr 2008 · 64 posts
Dokuwiki on a stick comes with an apache server. This server is meant to be started only once, but can be accessed by any user. In this configuration there are no revision/editing conflicts, since this is handled by the server.
mike08054 #3
I decided to go ahead and test this. I downloaded dokuwiki on a stick. Unzipped the file and copied the directory over to the network drive. I ran mapache.exe and I was able to login as admin and create an new user. From a separate computer my coworker also ran mapache and could login as the new user.

We both could access the file. Dokuwiki locks the page when one user clicks (edit). But the second user could still edit other pages that were not being edited by the first user.

So this seems like it is exactly what I am looking for, a local personal wiki that can be handle multiple users. However I deleted it for now because I need to contact the sysadmin to make sure that I'm not misusing network resources.

Is this relatively secure? I want the wiki to only be accessible to users with access to the network drive. I think it is because I can only launch mapache if I have access to the network drive and then the pages are accessible only through http://localhost:8800/

Unfortunately we all have real world IP addresses so I'm still slightly concerned about security.

All comments are greatly appreciated. This is the first portable wiki I've tried that allows multiple users and page locking during edits.
andi (Administrator) #4
User title: splitbrain
Member since May 2006 · 3500 posts · Location: Berlin Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Quote by mike08054 on 2008-05-16, 18:37:
I decided to go ahead and test this. I downloaded dokuwiki on a stick. Unzipped the file and copied the directory over to the network drive. I ran mapache.exe and I was able to login as admin and create an new user. From a separate computer my coworker also ran mapache and could login as the new user.

Yes it works running multiple Apaches from the same document root. However this doesn't make much sense because Apache is a webserver which can serve requests over the network. It is enough to start one Apache instance and access it from all computers.

Is this relatively secure? I want the wiki to only be accessible to users with access to the network drive. I think it is because I can only launch mapache if I have access to the network drive and then the pages are accessible only through http://localhost:8800/

No, the default config of DokuWiki on a Stick will start an Apache running on all network interfaces, so your DokuWiki is also available at http://youripaddress:880/ too. This is why your coworker could access the wiki you are running as I said above.

Unfortunately we all have real world IP addresses so I'm still slightly concerned about security.

In that case make sure you make correct use of the ACLs or configure your firewall to block access from the outside.
Read this if you don't get any useful answers.
Lies dies wenn du keine hilfreichen Antworten bekommst.
mike08054 #5
Is there any way to do this without running apache (webserver)?

I need a multiuser wiki but am not allowed to run a webserver.
This post was edited on 2008-05-20, 23:58 by mike08054.
andi (Administrator) #6
User title: splitbrain
Member since May 2006 · 3500 posts · Location: Berlin Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Quote by mike08054:
Is there any way to do this without running apache (webserver)?

no.

Quote by mike08054:
I need a multiuser wiki but am not allowed to run a webserver.

What stupid policy is that!?
Read this if you don't get any useful answers.
Lies dies wenn du keine hilfreichen Antworten bekommst.
mike08054 #7
That's what the sysadmin said. Run a webserver and if they find out I get disconnected from the network.

So if I run a wiki on a usb stick instead of a network drive it doesn't change anything does it? I'm still running an open webserver.
grahack #8
Member since May 2007 · 166 posts · Location: Nantes, France
You can restrict who can reach it in the server conf. Anyway you'd better ask your sysadmin directly and show him the software.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2019-11-18, 18:59:33 (UTC +01:00)