Forum: General Help and Support Installation and Configuration RSS
New Install (2008-05-05) hangs apache
fenris #1
Member since May 2008 · 3 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: New Install (2008-05-05) hangs apache
Hi all,

I have been using Dokuwiki for over a year new with very good success on NetBSD + apache + php5. I have never had any problems that I could figure out. Recently I upgrade my server from 3.1 to 4.0 and had a bit of trouble with the upgrade process. In the end I did a clean install and every thing is working correctly (actually better as I was able to remove unused packages). I thought Dokuwiki would be a piece of cake to install (I have done it quite a few times in the past without issue). I uploaded a tgz of my dokuwiki installation off of my old server. The php files to /work/www/htdocs/dokuwiki which is accessable by apache (www user). I checked all of the permissions and they matched what was recommend on the site and I moved the data folder to /usr/local/dokuwiki/data and set the permissions to be accessible by www (followed the permissions guidelines). I have run the site over https all the time that I have been using dokuwiki (if that makes any difference). I fired up the url in my browser on another machine (as I am not running a gui on NetBSD). The ssl user/password prompt was displayed and I entered my information. After that it hangs with the progress bar sitting at half way. I let it set for 15 minutes till I killed the session. At this point I tried to login to my box (using ssh) but I couldn't get access the server was hung. This never happened before. I spent the next couple of days trying different things - mostly moving the location of the data folder around as I thought maybe the data had something to do with it. I checked the apache error logs and access log (/var/log/httpd/) and didn't find anything helpful.

So here I am, I wiped out the dokuwiki folder + data folder and copied over a brand new dokuwiki installation (download the tgz from splitbrain - the 2008-05-05 version). I followed the installation instructions and ran the install.php. This came up and I was allowed to enter in the details for the wiki. After completing the details it would take me to the wiki but the page would partially load and then hang. I could do nothing else except a hard reset to the server.

I am pretty sure apache is setup correctly as I have subversion working through apache to control my version control repositories and I have mercurial setup over fastcgi and I can sync the mercurial repositories with remote ones. I create a php page that calls the phpinfo() function and it displays correctly. Everything seems to work correctly. I might have missed something.

Here is what I am running:
Apache/2.2.8 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.8e DAV/2 SVN/1.4.6 PHP/5.2.6 on NetBSD 4.0

Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Troy
fenris #2
I reconfigured the local.php removing everything that didn't need to be there. Turns out that the monobook template seemed to be the culprit as I am now able to load and use the wiki. It is still slow to load but I think that it is reindexing things.
fenris #3
I spoke too soon. It seemed to be working OK on the internal network although it was a little slow. Externally it doesn't seem to be working - times out.

I am thinking that it might be a plugin that I have installed or a template. I have removed references to templates from local.php.

How do I remove a plugin manually (i.e. from the command line)? Is it as simple as deleting the plugin directory? Also which plugins are base to dokuwiki?

In addition how do I delete templates? Delete the directories?
ach (Administrator) #4
Member since May 2006 · 1900 posts · Location: Folkestone, UK
Group memberships: Administrators, Members, Super Mods, Wiki Managers
Quote by fenris:
How do I remove a plugin manually (i.e. from the command line)? Is it as simple as deleting the plugin directory?
Just put an empty file called "disabled" into the plugins directory. (You might be needing to touch local.conf afterwards, I am not sure.) But deleting the directory, does it, too. ;-)

Quote by fenris:
Also which plugins are base to dokuwiki?
These: http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:plugins?plugintag=%21bundled

Quote by fenris:
In addition how do I delete templates? Delete the directories?
Choosing the default template should be enough. But if you really want to delete a template, deleting its directory is all that is needed.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2018-10-21, 21:38:54 (UTC +02:00)