Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: General Help and Support Server Setup RSS
Trying to set up for the first time, but...
Need for a good user document?
pblair #1
Member since Sep 2006 · 4 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Trying to set up for the first time, but...
I'm rather new to this PHP stuff, but have a need to be able to write/edit/polish Wiki material at home. So I downloaded DokuWiki.

I have a spare drive set up with IIS/PHP (5) and MySQL. I extracted all the download files to inetpub/docuwiki, set all permissions (well, only I can get to this stuff!) and tried to figure out what to do next. I created a user (probably got that wrong) and fired up. I get to the login screen, but no go.

The line I put into users.auth.php looks like:
pblair,catch22,Paul,pblair@xxxx.org.au,1

but that doesn't work. And what else do I need to set up/adjust modify?

As a comment - with all the Wiki power at competent users fingertips, I would really appreciate a basic list of what a new user should do.

Paul (a newbie at all this!)
Australia
pblair #2
Subject: Never mind...
I gave up on this item....

Paul
lornajane #3
Member since Jul 2006 · 14 posts
Paul

I didn't see your message before, just in case you come back to it, or anyone else reads it and wants to try, I think what you need to do here is encode your password using an md5 hash, and note that the separator is a colon.  The line in the users auth file should look like this (that long thing is a md5-ed version of the word "dokuwiki"):

lorna:18c179f84e1e69aa6a4ff775ac0a2b0f:Lorna:lorna@example.com:users

Hope this helps someone.
LornaJane ( www.lornajane.net )
pblair #4
Subject: Trying to set up for the first time, but...
Thanks for the reply. I saw the md5 thing, had no idea what they were talking about! So I gave up, got a copy of MediaWiki which was a dream to set up, does the job quite well. First impressions count....

Paul
lornajane #5
Member since Jul 2006 · 14 posts
Glad you got settled one way or the other Paul.  I always think I should get to grips with mediawiki and start out intending to implement it but with one issue or another I seem always to end up back at DokuWiki for sheer lightweight simplicity!

If you ever come back to DokuWiki in the future, then take a look at this http://www.woollyblanket.co.uk/Journal/dokuwiki-admin-setup, its an article I wrote to remind myself how to get the authentication working.
LornaJane ( www.lornajane.net )
pblair #6
Well, obviously there was guidance available - just that I had no idea it existed. There's a thought for someone - help for the newbies? :-) All I wanted was an editing tool....

Paul
jtaubman #7
Member since Oct 2006 · 15 posts
I just wanted to add, that I did not look at the auth files at all,  I just set the permissions on the files and ran the install.php script which walked me through the set up and created the admin user for me.

I have to say DokuWiki is a brilliant tool,  now if I can just get a few more of my members to work on it.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2020-02-17, 07:08:29 (UTC +01:00)