"Redirected from" Functionality
nmaster64 #1
Member since Nov 2008 · 3 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: "Redirected from" Functionality
Trying to add this:

[Image: http://i34.tinypic.com/2hi8krc.jpg]

So, for example, I can have [[FirstName_LastName]] redirect to [[username]]. I'd like the landing page to have that little "Redirected from FirstName LastName" thing, and it's imperative that linking to something that will redirect doesn't show a red link.

Thanks for any help!
This post was edited on 2008-11-09, 16:57 by nmaster64.
Edit reason: Holy crap, was I speaking English that day?
andi (Administrator) #2
User title: splitbrain
Member since May 2006 · 3522 posts · Location: Berlin Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
have you tried the available redirect plugins?
Read this if you don't get any useful answers.
Lies dies wenn du keine hilfreichen Antworten bekommst.
nmaster64 #3
Member since Nov 2008 · 3 posts
I've looked over a few...

pagemove seems more for renaming/moving pages, not setting up multiple redirects to one already existing page. It does seem to handle redlinks, but seems to lack the link thing.

redirect plugin leaves the links red. Not sure if there is a notice.

Page Redirector has a few issues, although seems my best option. The potential problem is it seems from the documentation it goes to the first page, and then redirects to the second. Also, it'd be very preferable to not have to actually create the redirecting pages.

GoTo is pretty much the same as Page Redirector, minus a few bugs but also minus the "Redirected from"...

All plugins need a demo page. *shakes angry fist*
jumpnerd #4
Member since Jun 2009 · 2 posts · Location: Minneapolis, MN
IMO, this is a huge hole in Dokuwiki and in the pagemove plugin.  The biggest disadvantage for us in using Dokuwiki is that there is no good way to manage page moves.  It is not practical to manage every redirect manually when you move a page.

I love how Mediawiki's page move functionality works and this is a great example to emulate.  When you move a page, a redirect from the old page to the new page is automatically created.  So if a user has an old page bookmarked, they are seamlessly taken to the new page.  There's a small note at the top of the page that tells you that you were redirected, as nmaster64's screenshot shows).  This is core functionality in Mediawiki!
-Martin- #5
Member since Jan 2009 · 422 posts · Location: Bayern Germany
Perhaps this plugin can help: http://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:404manager
Linux-Doku.de
jumpnerd #6
Member since Jun 2009 · 2 posts · Location: Minneapolis, MN
Thanks.  I am giving that a whirl, but it is still a manual solution. 

I still think page move and page redirection should be core functionality in DokuWiki.  If I had the skill and the time, I'd write a plugin myself. I'd have to learn PHP first!
g1smd #7
Member since Jan 2009 · 133 posts · Location: UK
How is that redirect handled?

The only searchengine friendly way to do it is with a 301 redirect. Since you can see content at the redirecting URL then I guess that it does not use that method. A meta refresh would be a very bad idea these days.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2020-02-17, 23:39:35 (UTC +01:00)