Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: General Help and Support Server Setup RSS
apache pid dumps when rendering "syntax.txt" file.
erple2 #1
Member since Jan 2009 · 7 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: apache pid dumps when rendering "syntax.txt" file.
With the latest version of Dokuwiki (2008-05-05), when I access the wiki:syntax page (while editing a page), I get more or less a blank screen.  I do get the first few lines of the default text (through  Trace: » syntax ) to show up, but then, checking my apache logs, I see something to the effect of:

[Fri Jan 09 17:14:50 2009] [notice] child pid 27413 exit signal Illegal instruction (4), possible coredump in /opt/hpws/apache

one for each type I try to refresh the page.  So far, this only happens with the wiki:syntax page.

OS - HP-UX B.11.23 ia64
Apache - 2.0.55
PHP:
PHP 5.0.4 (cli) (built: Jan 19 2006 16:59:30)
Copyright (c) 1997-2004 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.0.4-dev, Copyright (c) 1998-2004 Zend Technologies

This worked without issues with the previous version of Dokuwiki I was using (2007-06-26b).  I'll see if I can't figure out what part of the wiki:syntax is causing the failure.

As an aside, are all of the errors that dokuwiki shows in the error logs for httpd?
erple2 #2
It is, in fact, the section on "syntax highlighting" that is causing it to fail.  More specifically, it's the "java" highlight that's failing.  When I change it from <code java> to <code cpp>, it appears to work fine.  Any thoughts?

OK, more stuff...

<code java>
/**
 * The HelloWorldApp class implements an application that
 * simply displays "Hello World!" to the standard output.
 */
class HelloWorldApp {
    public static void main(String[] args) {
        System.out.println("Hello World!"); //Display the string.
    }
}
</code>

It is, in fact, something that's breaking between the String[] and the next line that's causing wackiness.
This post was edited on 2009-01-10, 00:00 by erple2.
erple2 #3
Subject: Fixed, sort of.
I downloaded the "latest"  version (from Dec. 25, 2008) of GeSHi and installed it into dokuwiki.  It also gave me a problem with the <code java> tag (the <code java5> tag works fine).

2008-05-05 of dokuwiki comes with release 1.0.7.21 of GeSHi.  2007-06-26b comes with 1.0.7.19 of GeSHi.  When I copy back the older (1.0.7.19) version of GeSHi back into the inc directory of 2008-05-05, then things work fine again.

I suppose this is a partial fix, then.

I'm sure it'll break if I update dokuwiki again.
andi (Administrator) #4
User title: splitbrain
Member since May 2006 · 3509 posts · Location: Berlin Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
No PHP script should ever be able to crash the Apache process. If it does, it is a bug in PHP. Since you're using a somewhat exotic platform ;-) this is not unlikely. Try if there's an PHP upgrade for HPUX or compile a newer version of PHP yourself.
Read this if you don't get any useful answers.
Lies dies wenn du keine hilfreichen Antworten bekommst.
erple2 #5
Quote by andi:
No PHP script should ever be able to crash the Apache process. If it does, it is a bug in PHP. Since you're using a somewhat exotic platform ;-) this is not unlikely. Try if there's an PHP upgrade for HPUX or compile a newer version of PHP yourself.
Yeah, I understand the statement "No <insert scripting language here> should be able to crash a <insert a non-related product here> process (with the caveat that it's running in a non-Windows environment)".  The PHP we're using happens to be the one that's installed with apache (there is no other PHP on the machine - in fact, the only thing installed there other than the base OS is Apache).  That leads to the other problem - I don't get to decide what gets put on that machine.  It's a server that is more controlled than managed.

However, given that finding anything for HP-UX (particularly itanium version of HP-UX) in the "depot" format (analogue of "rpm" in RedHat world) is nigh-impossible, and I don't feel like downloading source and explaining to the admins how to compile software on that host, well, the fix of going back to an older version of GeSHi is by far the simpler version.
lnoton #6
Member since Jan 2009 · 3 posts
Funny I have exactly the same issue on an IBM Blade with Redhat ES 4 Apache 2.0, not sure of the PHP version as im at home.  But definitily sure it's whatever is the default.

Very strange.  I might try upgrading to Apache 2.2 and see if that helps, will give me a newer version of PHP too.

I'm running in on Mac OS X with Apache 2.2 no problem though.
andi (Administrator) #7
User title: splitbrain
Member since May 2006 · 3509 posts · Location: Berlin Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
BTW. instead of downgrading GeSHi try upgrading it. There is a newer version than the one included with the latest stable DokuWiki.
Read this if you don't get any useful answers.
Lies dies wenn du keine hilfreichen Antworten bekommst.
lnoton #8
I think he had already tried that.

I've tried to downgrade Geshi and that hasnt worked. I've tried to upgrade and that also hasnt worked.

Hmm, maybe I'll upgrade apache to 2.2...silly this.
This post was edited 2 times, last on 2009-01-15, 09:40 by lnoton.
lnoton #9
Just to let you know, I upgraded to Apache 2.2, installed the latest PHP into apache and installed the DokuWiki again.

IT NOW ALL WORKS!
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Imprint
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Current time: 2020-01-18, 12:45:46 (UTC +01:00)